Fun in EKG Rhythm Analysis

wrmedic82

What is your take on this rhythm  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What would you call this rhythm? Please read background first!

• Atrial Fibrillation with slow ventricular response
    • Third Degree AV Block with IVCD
    • Ventricular Standstill with Ventricular Escape Beats
    • No clue
    • Think its something else not listed above.

I don't need a assessment to discuss treatment modalities on a cardiac issue. I am not saying how I would treat this individual, I am stating how 3rd degree blocks are treated.

"Treat the patient, not the monitor" is so oft-repeated because it should be drilled into our minds. In general I think it is bad practice to look at a standalone ECG and start talking immediately about treatment. Docs don't do that. Show a doc a strip and he/she will immediately say "well, what's the patient look like." Try it.

To be fair, we have no access to assess any patients online, that is why we talk in hypothetics.

Fair enough, it's a nitpicky point anyways. ...Someone had to say it! :P

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Treat the patient, not the monitor" is so oft-repeated because it should be drilled into our minds.

How do you handle a stable V-Tach?

How do you handle a silent MI?

Do you put O2 on a anemic pt with no current symptoms?

How about a pt c/o mild SOB, an Sp02 of 99%RA but a abnormal CO reading? Nasal cannula for the minor SOB?

"Treat the patient, not the monitor" is often repeated because that is what EMS people do..... repeat shit without thinking about it.

How bout this: "Use your monitors as part of your assessment, and treat accordingly"

Proactive medicine vs reactive medicine, perhaps we are on different wavelengths in our practice.

Hey sorry, the argument in the other thread is taking up all of my time haha. :icecream:

How do you handle a stable V-Tach?

How'd I determine "stable?" I'm sure Iassessed the patient.

How do you handle a silent MI?

Step 1. Assess patient.

Do you put O2 on a anemic pt with no current symptoms?

Assess patient. Are they hypoxic? How the hell do you know they're anemic? Assessment?

How about a pt c/o mild SOB, an Sp02 of 99%RA but a abnormal CO reading? Nasal cannula for the minor SOB?

Sounds like this patient needs to be assessed!!

"Treat the patient, not the monitor" is often repeated because that is what EMS people do..... repeat shit without thinking about it.

I suppose. I like to think the phrase actually has some meaning, though. That meaning would be:

"Use your monitors as part of your assessment....

Heeey you said it too!

Proactive medicine vs reactive medicine, perhaps we are on different wavelengths in our practice.

By proactive do you mean treatment before assessment? If so then yes, we are on different wavelengths. I don't think we really are though. Are we just splitting hairs here? You don't really pull out the drug box having only seen a strip do you? I don't believe it.

I think we are splittin hairs.

Let me be more specific.

You are assessing a pt who is in a stable V-Tach.

You can:

A) Treat the symptoms based on assessment and do nothing

B) Treat the monitor and follow your V-Tach protocol

When I hear "Treat the patient not the monitor" I interpret that to mean "If the pt is asymptomatic don't go throwing the drug box at em"

How do you interpret it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.