Questions from a newbie

happyshell88

Greetings!

I'm researching online about being an EMT, and really don't know where to start. I would be proud to be an EMT, but some of the drawbacks I've read about have me hesitating. Mostly, its about personal safety. Exactly how dangerous is it on NYC streets? What is the most dangerous encounter you've ever had on the job?

Also, I have lupus, will that affect my chances?

All help is appreciated, thanks

• 3 months later...

I would like to know which places in NYC offer the best training/certification programs. For instance I was looking up John Jay College of crimincal Justice.

If I get certified from there, would I get hired??

Most programs hire from their students but never bank on it. I agree with Herbie and encourage you to do a ride along. Don't worry about finding a "safe" area to work in. Experience has shown us that it doesn't matter where you work or volunteer you're bound to have some situations which are unsafe. And its usually those situations that occur in 'safe' areas that turn out to be the most deadly because of the complacency of the responders.

Exactly how dangerous is it on NYC streets?

Cannot guide you on that one. Your ambulance crew might be standing by for a call in a "Nice" neighborhood, but be dispatched to a "Bad" one.

Just remember that even in a neighborhood described as "Evil" has hard working folks living there, who, for an assortment of reasons, cannot move out, but because one person commits a particularly vicious crime, all in the neighborhood get labeled as being evil.

On a different approach, take heed why Willie Sutton robbed banks, and most criminals prefer good or rich neighborhoods. On questioning by the Press Corps, after he was arrested, why he robbed banks, Mr. Sutton replied, "That's where the money is!"

As for infornation on ride-alongs with the FDNY EMS Command, contact:

Office of Public Information,

Fire Department New York,

9 Metrotech Plaza,

Brooklyn, NY 11201

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.