Obtaining your Intermediate while in paramedic school

Octoparrot

Hello, I have the option to begin my EMT-I clinical and field time part way through my medic class. Since i have the time and I ride with an EMT-I level service currently, I'm thinking this is worth the effort. Can't hurt right? But, I guess thats why i'm putting it out here! I live in MA and i understand that they might be getting rid of the Intermediate level at some point but thinking along the lines of getting exposure to ALS skills, I believe this is a good path for me to take. Any suggestions? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hello, I have the option to begin my EMT-I clinical and field time part way through my medic class. Since i have the time and I ride with an EMT-I level service currently, I'm thinking this is worth the effort. Can't hurt right? But, I guess thats why i'm putting it out here! I live in MA and i understand that they might be getting rid of the Intermediate level at some point but thinking along the lines of getting exposure to ALS skills, I believe this is a good path for me to take. Any suggestions? Thanks! :thumbsup:

I guess I don't understand how this would work...You will have a long enough break during your medic program to allow you to get your intermediate? I've not heard of a break like that, but the things I've not heard of...well, it's a lot. My medic program went straight through, spring/summer/fall/spring/summer/fall, and each semester we were pretty much buried in material, so I guess I'm having a hard time envisioning this.

Does your medic program require college level anatomy and physiology? If it does, then intuitively I can't see any harm in this. If it doesn't, spending your time in those classes I believe you will find much more valuable to your practice, and find more enjoyable, then the redundancy of the I class.

Dwayne

I guess I don't understand how this would work...You will have a long enough break during your medic program to allow you to get your intermediate? I've not heard of a break like that, but the things I've not heard of...well, it's a lot. My medic program went straight through, spring/summer/fall/spring/summer/fall, and each semester we were pretty much buried in material, so I guess I'm having a hard time envisioning this.

Does your medic program require college level anatomy and physiology? If it does, then intuitively I can't see any harm in this. If it doesn't, spending your time in those classes I believe you will find much more valuable to your practice, and find more enjoyable, then the redundancy of the I class.

Dwayne

It might be like here in TX where halfway through the Medic program a lot of programs will let you sit for the EMT-I testing. I still don't quite understand it, since I'd never heard of a program like that in NM or CO.

It might be like here in TX where halfway through the Medic program a lot of programs will let you sit for the EMT-I testing. I still don't quite understand it, since I'd never heard of a program like that in NM or CO.

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess if you, as the OP states, work for an ILS service that that might get you bump in pay while you continue with your education?

I wonder though if that is also why there seem to be so many intermediates? Get their I cert and say to hell with it with the rest of the pressure of medic school? I don't know...Though I know that many, many took it as another step in their education to medic I'd be curious how many drop after getting their I cert.

Thanks for your thoughts JT

Dwayne

As JT wrote, some programs in Texas are created so that you can get you Intermediate while in school. IMHO, this serves two purposes. First and foremost, it gives you a brief insight to what the national registry Paramedic testing will be like. To me, that was worth the money. The other is that we so have some services that are medic/EMT staffed so an Intermediate can get work if they want. The pay difference isn't much higher than the Basic which still encourages for the highest level of attainment.

I obtained my intermediate while still in school so that I could work (if time allowed) to help maintain the skills and then graduated with my red patch a year later.

I do work with a few intermediates. Those I don't ever see moving to paramedic are older and the others just needed a break because they are trying to do this while working a full time job and raising a family or some other personal issues ensued.

Question....is the intermediate that is being taught to you in lines of the old curriculum, or is it based to the new AEMT standard?

I actually had this opportunity during medic school. The way it worked was the first half of school covered intermeidate material and skills. I chose not to test as an intermediate, which Ive found is both good and bad.

If I had tested at the intermediate level I would have had 6 months with more opportunities for IV's and intubations. It also would have been beneficial as to the NR test. I could have sat for the computer test so maybe I would have been more comfortable with the paramedic test. Plus if I had failed the paramedic test I would have gained the intermediate certificate in the process. I benefited in that I did not have to do intemediate clinicals at the same time as my paramedic clinicals and some of the other people suffered in paramedic school because of all the time they lost.

I felt jipped when I got turned loose as a medic because I had not had much desicion making prior to then. If I had been an intermediate maybe I would have been more comfortable with maintaining IV's at the very least.

Just my experience.