Does anyone use the Littmans STC ?

emtbasic13

I want to buy a new scope because the one I have is ok but not great. I love cardiology scopes. I was looking at the Littmans STC which I found at allhearts.com for about $160 compared to $210 everywhere else. I was just wondering does anyone else use this scope and is it worth it. Or does anyone use the Littmans Lightweight 2 and how is that compared to a cardiology. I like how the head is shaped like a tear drop on both and they have the tunable diaphram.

PS. No responses please about why would I pay that much for a scope. I don't mind the price and it comes with a six year warranity, plus life time referbishing for $70 after the warranity expires.

I know you don't want to hear it, but there is no reason you need a "cardiology" stethoscope on the ambulance. We are listening to blood pressures, lung sounds, and *maybe* heart/bowel sounds (probably not). What features attracted you to the STC that the Master Classic II (at half the price) doesn't have?

The fact that he may not "need" an expensive stethoscope is not relevant. He's asking if anyone else owns one and their opinion of it. I don't "need" a lot of things I own, but I still want them, so I don't mind paying for it. I own two Master Cardiology scopes, so when one is out being refurbished, I still have the other. Probably a bit extreme, but I don't care, its my money and I have found the quality to be second to none. I drive a Toyota Yaris, I suppose I could buy an adult car, but I care more about other things.... :jump:

Thank you p3medic. Your right I don't need a STC, I want a STC.:showoff:. Just like some people with one child don't need huge 7 passenger suvs, but they get them anyway.

Also I don't want a expensive scope to make a status symbol. Thats stupid to pay that much for something just to look good.

Just to sum up what has been said

A cardiology will Not make you a better EMT

A cardiology will (probably) not be superior to any other scope when used at a bls level.

A cardiology does Not make you look more "official" in other providers eyes, it may in fact make you look somewhat whackerish, or foolish in others eyes.

A cardiology is waay too advanced for a prehospital provider at the bls level

Owning a Cardiology is like owning a Hummer, feels cool, but not too practical. Maybe that is what you want? Lots of people drive Hummers who are not in the army :iiam:

So: above are all the answers you got to this question: (btw) the last one was MY answer.

Does anyone use the Littmans Lightweight 2 and how is that compared to a cardiology.

I guess I will be the first to attempt an answer.

I do not own a Cardiology, but I do have a Master Classic II as pictured in the link below. This scope is very very similar, but is one "step" down from the cardiology.

The scope supplied in my kit is a lightweight II.

The most obvious difference is the fact that the Lightweight (LWT) has a plastic head on it. Although this does make it light, I question it's durability. When you hold it, it feels... well... cheap. I am not sure what the teardrop shape is all about but I can assure you, it has no real applicable benefits to me. This scope has a "Bell" feature on the opposite side of the diaphram. I am not a fan of this type of scope for ems, bacause I find these bells act like a loud speaker and send background noise up the scope.

The Master classic II has a single diaphram, no-bell type steel head (see pic). I have found this to be very rugged, as I keep it in my cargo pants pocket and have had it there for 6 years. As a Paramedic, I now use the steel head for reflex's, not to mention a personal weapon if needed. I find it is an adequate stethoscope for all uses BLS & ALS, of course it too is overkill.

http://acousticheart.com/pro550889.html

So there you go

OOps, forgot link.

Edited by mobey

I just wan to say I don't want the STC to make me look better or anything like that. I just wanted one because I like the scope and don't mind paying the extra money for it. Especially something reliable. I brought a medium priced scope two years ago and it broke in half already. Still don't know how that happened. But anyway, to me chooseing a scope is a personal choice. As long as you can hear well out of it, buy what you want its your money. Scopes come in so many different designs and styles known. People don't have to stick with the basic ones. I see medics with card 3's and doctors with classic 2's. Its all about personal choice and taste.

I did hear that the master classic is a very good scope, it is on the pricey side. Just like the STC and if you read my origional post. You see that I found a STC for $160 not $210+ like everyone else is selling them for. So its a deal alsp. Plus it has a six year warranty, unlike two years like most other scopes have.

Also if I planned to stay a basic for ever I wouldn't buy a exspensive scope, but I do plan to become a medic and ccemt-p one day. So thats also another reason why I want a scope that will probably never need to be replaced. Who wants to buy a new scope every 2 or 3 years. After you buy the 3rd one you have basiclly paid as much for 3 scopes as you would have for one expensive scope that doesn't have to be replaced.

Try a visual on this:

You are re-assessing the chest of an asthmatic. Tall, thin young man.

You have him sit up and are auscltating his lung fields with your top of the line, super sensitive Cardiologist stethoscope.

Just imagine what you may hear. The nebulizer running? some wheezes burried benieth the sound of the road noise being transmitted through his skelleton, echoing through his thorax? the siren? The BP machine inflating?

I hope you get my drift.

My opinion is, if you are sitting in a quiet clinic listening for mitral valve regugitation... you should get the most sensitive scope possible.

If you are in a noisy environment, perhaps the less sensitive are the way to go.

If you are looking strictly for durability: The Littman classic II SE, has withstood the test of time, and is cost effective.

My mother in law bought me a Littman Cardio II a couple years ago for my birthday. I can definitely say in my personal experience, I heard breath sounds and BPs better in the back of an ambulance with my $10 cheapo that I won for getting the high score on my first responder exam, way back when I was 16. However, in a non-ambulance setting, I MUCH prefer my Littman.

Love my Littman Cardio II. Love it. It's totally reliable, but definitely not the best in the back of the rig. I'm going to LOVE it for nursing school though.

HOWEVER- You hear what YOU hear and you know what you like to listen through better than anyone else, they're your ears, after all. Pay attention to that; stethoscopes are like boots, everyone has their preference, and what works for some people does not work for others. If you have the cash to drop and that's what you really feel like spending it on, who are we to tell you not to?

Do, however, pay attention to the consensus here, which is that less sensitive scopes seem to perform better in the prehospital environment. I wholly understand wanting to get a quality scope, but there's definitely value in getting the appropriate quality for your environment. For example, in the electronics world, you don't necessarily need a $600 Fluke multimeter in your garage when the $40 hardware store brand does everything you need it to and doesn't have a bazillion functions you will never need... now, were you an electrical engineer working in a high-tech clean room, yea, the Fluke would make sense.

Hope this helps!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.