Your 'smart phone' may be giving out too much information

Lone Star

I watched a program called "America Now" just a little while ago and saw something that caught my attention.

It seems that in this age of electronics, online sharing and whatnot, taking pictures with your 'smart phone' may be revealing too much information about where you are.

For those smart phones with cameras and are GPS enabled, every time you take a picture with your phone, that GPS information is recorded. When you post the pictures online, if someone knows what they're looking for, they can get the GPS information.

Obviously, if you're taking pictures at home, your home address will be revealed through that metadata.

The program listed a website that proves what I'm saying. That website is icanstalkyou.com

There, you can find more information about this topic, how to 'fix it' and you can see what I'm talking about.

Just thought y'all might like to know.......

LS

I might get a Fark headline out of this. I'm kinda of surprised that it hasn't been submitted yet.

Headline: "I know where you live and your teenage daughter is pretty cute. Is she available?"

Tag: Scary.

This is very real and a very serious issue.

I was shown a website by a Online Security Expert/Friend who was doing a lecture on these types of dangers. It really opened my eyes and I was shocked.

There is an adult website forum which has a category called iPhone pics. In this thread are literally thousands of pictures that have been posted. All of these pictures involve female teens who have either shared these on myspace, facebook, or maybe even just to their friends...some may have been snatched form whatever device they were taken on by high tech means...in this particular forum, you get the GPS coordinates from their picture and there is also a picture of their house or surrounding area from Google Earth.

Pretty scary eh? After seeing this thread, then looking at how many times it has been viewed and still continues to get posts...very scary.

I have talked to my kids...have you?

That is interesting...and a little scary.

It does seem that the website that LS posted does do exactly what they claim to be protecting against...I followed the "pic" and "map" links to a couple of the hotter sounding names and it did in fact take me to google maps and show me just where they lived...seems wierd. If I was a predator I would live on that site...

I followed the instructions on my BB and found that the 'geotagging' button was already disabled. But I'll be talking to Babs about hers...

Thanks for the post LS, and the link...good info.

Dwayne