DUI (one too many beers)

Xander

THE FACTS:

1) I pled guily for DUI on Novemeber, 9 2010

2) My only previous violation is 10 mph over limit (Jan. 2009)

3) I'm enrolled in a Drug and Alcohol Derferral program: after 18 months my case will be dismissed (i don't know if exponged) and I WILL NOT have a DUI on my record

4) I WILL have the fact I took this defferal program on my record

5) The BMV sent me a notification that the court has ordered my license to be suspended for 180 days (I hopefully will recieve my probationary lisence after my next court date next week)

6) I want to go to school in the fall of 2011 to recieve my EMT certification/ Degree

7) I live in Indiana

8) I already know I'm an idiot.

THE OBVIOUS QUESTIONS:

1) How will this affect my chances for certification and or emplyoment as an EMT? (with the charge deffered off my record)

2) How will the fact that I took a defferal program on my record affect my chances of certification and or employment as an EMT?

I will greatly appreciate any opinions you have on this matter,

Thank you :)

THE FACTS:

3) I'm enrolled in a Drug and Alcohol Derferral program: after 18 months my case will be dismissed (i don't know if exponged) and I WILL NOT have a DUI on my record

5) The BMV sent me a notification that the court has ordered my license to be suspended for 180 days (I hopefully will recieve my probationary lisence after my next court date next week)

6) I want to go to school in the fall of 2011 to recieve my EMT certification/ Degree

7) I live in Indiana

THE OBVIOUS QUESTIONS:

1) How will this affect my chances for certification and or emplyoment as an EMT? (with the charge deffered off my record)

2) How will the fact that I took a defferal program on my record affect my chances of certification and or employment as an EMT?

This is not felony, correct?

You will have to check yes on the "crimes other than minor traffic" box on your application. I don't know anyone personally that has gone through this process, but in some research with the EMS Comission I have done on other matters, I have learned it can be a lengthy process. I don't know how that will turn out. It will be up to the comission.

Monday-Friday

8:30am-4:00pm

Phone: 1-800-666-7784 or (317) 233-0208 -- E-Mail: emscertifications@dhs.in.gov

As far as employment.... your milage will vary. You won't be cleared by any insurance company to drive an ambulance until at least 2012. That means an employer will have to look and see if they have room to hire someone who can't drive. Your chances would be better as a paramedic. Then you have a skillset that the transport companies can use more than a EMT-B.

I would completely rule out any government/911 job for the next two to five years, at least in central Indiana. You can try, someone might take a chance on you, but I know what the job market is like here. Why should a company take a chance on you, when I go in and apply and not have any job restrictions?

Get your EMT cert, try for a job in an ER or tech position for a couple of years, use your skills and futher your education to make yourself more marketable. And for crying out loud don't even get stopped by the police again.

ALSO: When it is supposed to fall off your record, I would go to the BMV HQ or their website, and order your driving record. That way you know what is on there, and what your prospective employers and their insurance companies will see. Above all else, don't be shady. If you lie, or bend the truth, they will find out. Trust me, I did backgrounds for a couple of years on my voluenteer FD, and its not hard at all to find this stuff.

Edited by brentoli

It looks like the charges will fall off of your record around the same time that you will be done with EMT school and looking for jobs. I think the above advice is good, get your DMV record yourself before you start applying so that you know where you stand. A DUI is an offense that a lot of ambulance companies take seriously (especially because of insurance concerns), but once it falls off of your record I don't think you should have anything to worry about.

I guess I should add also, if you're in a more rural part of the state that uses squads, you stand a better chance than an urban part. Around central indiana basics play the ambulance driver role quite a bit.

I have a friend that got a DUI 07-08ish....he just in the last couple months started driving for his company. He was able to get a job because he was a paramedic. An ALS or BLS transfer he could take in no worries.

I'm not trying to scare you or talk you out of anything, but I don't wana paint a picture of sugar and peppermint either. If you have any questions about the state certs and what not feel free to shoot me a PM.

One last thing... around the time you would be finishing up, Indiana may be in the transition to becoming a National Registry state. I have no experience with NR so I don't know if that will pose a problem or not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edited by brentoli

The license suspension will keep you from driving by a lot of private service standards. I know both private services I've worked for (granted it's NM and CO), any DUI in the last 5 years or suspension in the same amount of time made you ineligible to be hired at all.

THE FACTS:

7) I live in Indiana

THE OBVIOUS QUESTIONS:

From my experience in this industry, although I personally have never had a DUI, I have come across many who have been in your situation or worse and , unfortunately, I can tell you this incident will have no adverse effect on your career as a EMT good luck to you sir.

From my experience in this industry, although I personally have never had a DUI, I have come across many who have been in your situation or worse and , unfortunately, I can tell you this incident will have no adverse effect on your career as a EMT good luck to you sir.

Really? Everywhere I applied looked at my driving record, and wouldn't hire a basic w/ out a clean record for a number of years. I also just had a coworker who was essentially fired for getting a DUI. I agree with what was said above, your chances are much better getting hired somewhere as a non driving medic then a non driving basic.

I'm glad I am not the only one who took issue with this and I hope the Kohlerrf spoke wrong.

I know that anywhere I've worked as well as several of my friends who had DUI's on their records were basically uninsurable for several years after the DUI.

I believe the quoted statement above is false.

Especially since the number one thing that most paid companies look for in an EMT, is to drive the ambulance. A relatively clean driving record will be a big deal, esp. if it happened less than a month ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.