What NOT to do

This sent me today, and causing me to recall a few years ago, when an FDNY Fire Fighting crew did something similar, but to their firehouse...

The story takes place in Illinois.

Robot Used to Explode Pipe Bombs at DGPD

primary

Downers Grove Police Department

825 Burlington Ave, Downers Grove, IL

/listings/downers-grove-police-department

/locations/2475311

primary

Downers Grove Village Hall

801 Burlington Ave, Downers Grove, IL

/listings/downers-grove-village-hall

/locations/2475312

County bomb squad exploded the devices, which were brought in earlier by an estate-sale agent.

Much of the Village Hall campus was closed Wednesday night as the DuPage County Sheriff's Department Bomb Squad evaluated and exploded seven large pipe bombs brought in to the Downers Grove Police Department earlier in the day.

The bombs were exploded individually outside the northwest corner of the DGPD building by a robot firing a shotgun shell into each of them, said Sgt. Dave Bormann.  Two of the bombs were inert, but the other five "caused a considerable explosion," that sent a fireball eight to 10 feet into the air, he said.

The village notified nearby residents in advance of the explosions, which took place between 9 p.m. and midnight, Bormann said.

The pipe bombs had been brought to the station at 5:07 p.m. by a Downers Grove resident who owns an estate-sale business. She had been preparing for a sale at a vacant house in the 2300 block of Blue Spruce Lane in Aurora when she discovered a plastic bucket containing the seven homemade pipe bombs, according to reports from Downers Grove and Aurora police.

Uncertain of the location of the closest police department, she drove the devices to the DGPD, where she told police she had gunpowder to dispose of. An officer accompanied her to her vehicle outside the police department and immediately identified the objects as explosive devices. Police cordoned off the entire civic center parking lot and notified the bomb squad, which arrived on the scene at about 6:30 p.m.

Aurora police spokesman Dan Ferrelli said members of the bomb squad and the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms searched the Blue Spruce Lane home Wednesday night for other explosives, but found none. "There is no public danger," he said. Aurora police are continuing to investigate the matter.

Downers Grove police said the woman had taken a serious risk by transporting the explosive devices. "They were metal—metal on metal," Bormann said. "If they had sparked they could have gone off."

"If you come across devices that are similar, you need to call us immediately and not handle these devices by yourself," he said.

It is illegal to make or possess pipe bombs, Bormann said, adding the DGPD had notified the ATF of the incident.

=

Does this woman qualify as a 'runner up' for the 2010 Darwin Awards or what?

I'm sorry, but common sense would tell you that if it looks like a pipe bomb, it MIGHT not be something you want to toss into the trunk of your car and go looking for a cop!

Obviously, she had enough brains to realize that the bucket and the devices should go to the local police department, but geeez!...let's use a little common sense!

According to what I read, five of the devices exploded, each sending a fireball 8-10 feet into the air. What did she think was going to happen if even ONE detonated while she was trucking through town?

Had it happened, she would have gone down in local history as some mad woman who tried to blow something up instead of a good Samaritan who was killed while trying to do the 'right thing'.....

She would qualify for Runner Up if she'd gotten hurt. Perhaps she wasn't thinking, but everyone seems to think her untrained-as-emergency-responder heart was in the right place.

I'd think that if she called PD when she found them. But I think she risked a catastrophe by bring them into public. Fortunately for her, stupidity isn't illegal.

What not to do? Don't let that Kiwi guy in your house if he is in a fluro jacket with "AMBULANCE" written on it and a Thomas Pack slung over his shoulder ....

The 'right thing to do' in that case is to not let that kiwi guy know where you live in the first place! From what I hear, he complains about what you feed him, and makes a lousy patient.....just sayin.

See now your address comes up on the screen in the ambulance; not that 1) Kiwi can read it or 2) he knows how to get there coz the text in the map book it too small for him to read or 3) he should be driving there anyway .....

*Notices that the kiwi guy still hasn't responded to the GPS posting*, (even though there was a special poll answer created just for him)