Intubation and proper BSI

NoahG

Welcome Noah, and good post!

I like the responses so far, and I agree - gloves and glasses are a necessity.

Something caught my eye as I was reading your post:

It sounds like 3 out of 5 I've spoken to say either no time to properly BSI or really no need.

No time? No need? That mindset is a little scary... Having your glasses available is easy, and your gloves should be on by the time you pull up on scene....

Remember, your protection comes first, even from things you can't see. I liked Dwayne's comment about bringing those germs home to his wife and family.... by protecting yourself, you are also protecting those you love.

As was noted, we probably acquire more little critters on us than we realize. Problem is how many people strip nekid before they walk in their homes? What about your shoes/boots? Belts? What about jewelry- watches, rings, earrings? Pens, pencils, penlights, trauma shear handles? Point is, we could really get carried away with the idea of protection and disinfecting ourselves and our environment. Common sense, prudent and reasonable measures, and I'm OK with that.

One thing I do as we check out the rig every day- I use those large alcohol wipes that come in a big container. I clean earpieces, microphones, stylus for the lap top, keyboard keys, handles, electrode leads, buttons/control dials/knobs, flow meters- any surface I can think of that may have been contaminated. Seems to have worked for me- I rarely get sick.

Herbie, I agree with you 100%, and I am not sure if my comments were taken out of context or not... I guess what struck me was the part about no time or no need to BSI... simple precautions don't take much time.

I think my biggest thing is students/new EMT's who put their pen in their mouth... ack!

what was the first thing you were taught in basic school?

BSI

BSI

BSI

say it with me

BSI

ok all joking aside. When it comes to goggles go to Lowes or Home Depot or local hardware store and get yourself a pair of clear safety glasses. They look like sunglasses, have shatter and impact resistance, and protect your eyes all day long. Mine were like 5 bucks and weigh nothing. I wear them anytime I have a patient, actually check that, all the time actually:coool: I have grown so used to them being on my face I actually dont know they are there.

e920fac0-30af-4854-a396-6925333ec597_300.jpg

They do make smoked (great for outdoor calls or driving in bright sunlight) and a miriad of other colors (I wear yellow at night or in inclimate weather). Its funny because I think I have most colors out there in my day pack and swap out as necessary.

I think it all comes down to what others have said and Dwayne said elliquently that those folks that dont I really dont want to know. You are the most important person on scene remeber that!! Next is your partner then the patient.

It takes but a second to take proper BSI precautions but can take a lifetime to get over the consiquences of not!

Your getting excellent advise from all on here. Thanks for the great question that gets everyone thinking and chimming in :punk:

Edited by UGLyEMT

Very good feed back!

Thank you Herbie, Dwayne and others for your feed back. I know how important BSI is and is drilled into us, but after we began learning our intubation methods and speaking to local surrounding area students and some of there experiences with the Paramedics they work with in the rural Iowa area counties and some cities even old instructors from my basic class 8 years back when I ask them about his/her BSI use while preforming invasive procedures I kept getting a lot of negative feedback and at which point made me not really question but poke at this to find out why? A few of these particular paramedics are even instructors so teach one thing , do another?!

I spoke with a long time friend after posting this he is a RTT who gave me some valuable feed back and very interesting story about an arrogant Dr. trying to tube a pt in the ER one night of a pt who had fell out of a pickup going 60mph while fully intoxicated, when the so said Dr. introduced the laryngoscope the pt projectile vomited all over this Dr's face. Later on in the night they found out he had hepatitis...scary stuff.

Great feed back again, I'm going to purchase a pair to carry with me and worry about what I think and the safety for myself and what I'd be bringing home to my wife and kids as Dwayne puts it well. Your 1st reply was very valuable feed back much appreciated I just wish more people seen it that way.

Thank you for the warm welcomes as well

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.