Bieber

Bieber

I'm interested, too, in the line of questioning AK is presenting.

My questions lie more along the line of you thinking about going to PA or medical school. If PA/MD/DO is really your goal, why are your wasting time with going to school for, but not working, in EMS? (Please don't answer that you think the experience will be invaluable.) Did you finish a college degree? Or is the paramedic education you're pursuing a degree program? Does it provide the academic background needed for you to continue an advanced degree?

-be safe

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I'm sure that most of us that have been here for a while realize that ak has asked many of the most hotly debated questions on the City. Though I know the temptation is going to be strong to romp and stomp on each response that many of us have come to believe are incorrect, though counter intuitive to those that have not been in the field for a while, perhaps we can use this opportunity to learn about the view from those that are taking the path of this poster and avoid insults, etc.

Thank your for your time and attention... :-)

Dwayne

So to clarify, you did not work as a basic or an intermediate yet you fully support and recommend the experience as it is invaluable?

How does that work?

Because I see how hard it's been from me going from no previous field experience to trying to become an entry level paramedic, and I see the other students in my class who have had that experience and how much more comfortable they were going into field internship and familiar with prehospital care and operations. Also, just from my own experience in field internship, I know how valuable every minute of experience on the truck is and how much of a difference it has made in how I thought calls should go before I got to internship and how I think they should now.

I'm interested, too, in the line of questioning AK is presenting.

My questions lie more along the line of you thinking about going to PA or medical school. If PA/MD/DO is really your goal, why are your wasting time with going to school for, but not working, in EMS? (Please don't answer that you think the experience will be invaluable.) Did you finish a college degree? Or is the paramedic education you're pursuing a degree program? Does it provide the academic background needed for you to continue an advanced degree?

-be safe

I haven't worked previously as an EMT, but I do plan to work as a paramedic while I continue my education. To answer your question about why I am doing paramedic, it's because I don't think it is a waste and because I want to be a paramedic. That's not to say that I don't want to continue my education and eventually finish my Bachelors and get into PA school (I have some gen ed courses and the PA prereqs left to finish my Bachelors and qualify to apply to PA school), but that until that time when I can go to PA school, I want to be a paramedic, and I want to work in EMS. Even after I get my PA, I still want to stay involved in EMS because it is where I got my first taste of medicine, and where I think I can contribute to both as a paramedic and as a PA if I get there.

I haven't worked previously as an EMT, but I do plan to work as a paramedic while I continue my education. To answer your question about why I am doing paramedic, it's because I don't think it is a waste and because I want to be a paramedic. That's not to say that I don't want to continue my education and eventually finish my Bachelors and get into PA school (I have some gen ed courses and the PA prereqs left to finish my Bachelors and qualify to apply to PA school), but that until that time when I can go to PA school, I want to be a paramedic, and I want to work in EMS. Even after I get my PA, I still want to stay involved in EMS because it is where I got my first taste of medicine, and where I think I can contribute to both as a paramedic and as a PA if I get there.

Please don't lose sight of wanting to go back to school and continuing your education. As you spend more time in EMS you are going to meet many, many people who swear that "one of these days" they're going to go back to school. You're also going to meet many, many people who had the best intentions of going back to school and never did. They will offer you a million and one excuses as to why they can't/didn't/won't/couldn't etc.... They will have all fallen prey to the trap that is EMS. It is a rare thing, indeed, for an EMS-er to say they're going back to school and have it actually happen.

Do not let not going back to school happen to you.

Do not wait too long to go back to school after your finish your bachelor's, either. If PA is your goal, and a worthy goal it is, get into it as soon as you possibly can. Trust me on this. Yes, paramedicine has its moments of excitement. Yes, paramedicine offers a lot of things that a young adult can thrive on. I'll even go so far as to say that it can offer you some limited experience that may help you in PA school (this is a heavily qualified statement that I won't go in to right now as I have an exam to study for). But the sooner you get into an advanced degree program (PA/MD/DO... hell, even if you go to nursing school and on to NP) the better off you will be in the long run.

Please take it from someone who spent many years in EMS and is finally back in school. I should have done this years ago. I should have done this years ago. I should have done this years ago!! I love EMS. I really do. I want to stay active in EMS in some manner for as long as I possibly can. But I should have gone back to school years ago. And I'm glad I finally made it happen.

Good luck.

-be safe

Edited by paramedicmike

Please don't lose sight of wanting to go back to school and continuing your education. As you spend more time in EMS you are going to meet many, many people who swear that "one of these days" they're going to go back to school. You're also going to meet many, many people who had the best intentions of going back to school and never did. They will offer you a million and one excuses as to why they can't/didn't/won't/couldn't etc.... They will have all fallen prey to the trap that is EMS. It is a rare thing, indeed, for an EMS-er to say they're going back to school and have it actually happen.

Do not let not going back to school happen to you.

Do not wait too long to go back to school after your finish your bachelor's, either. If PA is your goal, and a worthy goal it is, get into it as soon as you possibly can. Trust me on this. Yes, paramedicine has its moments of excitement. Yes, paramedicine offers a lot of things that a young adult can thrive on. I'll even go so far as to say that it can offer you some limited experience that may help you in PA school (this is a heavily qualified statement that I won't go in to right now as I have an exam to study for). But the sooner you get into an advanced degree program (PA/MD/DO... hell, even if you go to nursing school and on to NP) the better off you will be in the long run.

Please take it from someone who spent many years in EMS and is finally back in school. I should have done this years ago. I should have done this years ago. I should have done this years ago!! I love EMS. I really do. I want to stay active in EMS in some manner for as long as I possibly can. But I should have gone back to school years ago. And I'm glad I finally made it happen.

Good luck.

-be safe

Hey, thanks a lot, Mike. I really appreciate that. I know what you mean by the pressure to stay in EMS or otherwise do things that would hinder my ability to get into PA school. I'm happy to hear you've managed to get back into school, my preceptor is actually in a similar boat; he's been a paramedic for like a decade and is going back now to get his Bachelors and NP and I respect the hell out of you both for going back after so long to do that, but I definitely don't want to end up waiting that long myself. I will be graduating with my AAS/Paramedic this december, and I plan on getting right back into classes come spring 2011 to get this taken care of.

Good luck to you too, and thanks again.

I'm going to have to echo Mike's sentiment about not losing your focus on finishing school.

I was an EMT-B for 12 years. I had a litany of reasons why I couldn't go back to school to 'move up the food chain'. From I couldn't afford it, to I couldn't afford to take the time off work to go to school, to I didn't have the time to go to school.

While they were valid reasons at the time, I never moved up the food chain.

There are still things that cause me great anxiety about moving up to Paramedic, but most of them are borne out of my lack of knowledge and education.

Now at 45, I'm about half way through my degree (the longest part is the medic course itself), with emphasis on the sciences (Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology, and will probably look into another Psychology course as well).

I know how much hard work it is, and I firmly believe that by not continuing my education as I am now; I've cheated not only myself, but the patients I've treated over the years.

Thanks, Lone Star. I appreciate your words, and I wish you good luck in your own education. Are you doing a Bachelors in paramedicine/EMS program?

I'm currently working on my Associates Degree in Paramedicine. I haven't found a college (locally) that offers a Bachelor's Degree in Paramedicine yet. I've been told that the BS degree in Allied Health (Paramedicine/EMS) is geared more towards the administrative side of things. I've never been one to languish in an office for very long.

I have however thought about a 'back up plan' when I can no longer do the duties required in EMS.

At the rate things are going in my life, I'll be lucky to finish my Associates Degree before I'm 90!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.