badly need help for infos :)

TalkyDocky

hi everyone! im 28yo from Phils. fresh grad Apr 2009 -college of medicine , blush.gif had 1 year internship after, in a government hospital here. Currently reviewing for the Philippine Licensure Exam to be taken on Feb 2011.

I was wondering if i could apply as an EMT in Portland, Oregon (where i could stay with my relatives there) do i have to undergo a few more years of EMT education like the college years after high school? or i should apply for the EMT CERTIFICATION which will require 1 or 2 years of tra ining then i can instantly apply to any institution catering EMT? blink.gif

do i have to go through the basic..intermediate.. then paramedic level or i can train straight to emt-paramedics for 1-2 years then take the exam for certification approval? im really confused. please help! wacko.gif

i really dont have any idea of how to go about it. huh.gif thanks!

Hi and welcome to The City.

Basically you have to start at the bottom. Take an EMT course in Portland, or wherever you will reside. Its 120hrs of class time and a test. This gets you your Basic certification. After your basic you can apply for paramedic school and then its alot of class time (years I believe, I am not a medic) followed by ride time.

I would say this, it is my personal opinion so take it as you wish, I wouldn't go from basic to medic quickly. I would be a basic for a while and learn. Gain experience in the field. Become comfortable with yourself and patients. The hands on experience is invaluable, without interaction its just modality. Most medics I know have been basics for a few years to gain this experience and they are great medics.

Hope this helps some for you.

Hi and welcome to The City.

Basically you have to start at the bottom. Take an EMT course in Portland, or wherever you will reside. Its 120hrs of class time and a test. This gets you your Basic certification. After your basic you can apply for paramedic school and then its alot of class time (years I believe, I am not a medic) followed by ride time.

I would say this, it is my personal opinion so take it as you wish, I wouldn't go from basic to medic quickly. I would be a basic for a while and learn. Gain experience in the field. Become comfortable with yourself and patients. The hands on experience is invaluable, without interaction its just modality. Most medics I know have been basics for a few years to gain this experience and they are great medics.

Hope this helps some for you.

thanks UGLyEMT (silly)spell.gif while waiting for someone to reply to my inquiry, i patiently searched the net about it and the EMT and how to go about it. i visited this website http://www.clatsopcollege.com/Programs/index.html it was explained well enough. but you explained better! jump.gif it's like i have to send to WES my transcripts from my med school here to have it validated and sorts like that. it's a long process. but i know it's worth it just in case. you were right. start from the basic EMT and work my way up to paramedic. response well appreciated! thanks a bunch!!!

Welcome to the city.

Sounds like you have the information you need. Just be aware, although EMS programs do vary wildly from state to state, there are basic standards established by the federal government. Ask a lot of questions about licensing and reciprocity to ensure you take the proper classes. I have no idea what- if any- credit you can transfer from your program in the Philippines.

Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic:

A person must be certified at least at the Oregon EMT-Basic level before being eligible to enroll in an EMT-Intermediate or EMT-Paramedic course and apply for and take any certification examination. Oregon EMT-Paramedic education is provided through the use of the EMT-Paramedic National Standard Curriculum, U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1999-Edition, as amended and supplemented by the Division.

The following requirements must be met, according to OAR 333-265-0014:

"The emphasis of a paramedic course must be the competence of the graduate and not just or only the number of hours of education received. In order to obtain and demonstrate the necessary competencies, it may require a student to receive approximately 1000 to 1200 hours of:

Didactic instruction

Skills laboratory

Clinical education, hospital clinical areas as prescribed by the Division, during which skills as required by the Division are performed under a preceptor

Field internship represents final evaluative phase of the paramedic program. The student must actively participate in providing care in at least 40 ambulance calls; no less than ten each in cardiac, respiratory, general medical, and trauma emergencies, during which clinical skills as required by the Division are performed under a preceptor

The student must successfully demonstrate a skill in classroom lab or hospital clinical setting before that skill is performed and evaluated in a field internship."

For an EMT-Paramedic applicant submit proof that the applicant has received an associate's degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher learning the student must successfully complete all mid-course and final examinations and final practical examinations.

http://oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/educate.shtml

If you've graduated medical school and done your Intern/House Officer year why in the bloody hell would you want to go do a couple hundred hours of class and become a Para-technician and work on the ambo?

Go become a Consultant in emergency medicine or something.

Edited by kiwimedic

For employment I assume. I worked with a few Fillipino physicians who were trying to come over to the States as nurses and such. I assume to actually work as a physician in the States, you need to pass all three steps of the USMLE and complete a residency. From what I understand, after talking with other foreign physicians, the USMLE is exceedingly difficult as there is a big emphasis on biochemistry and such on step I. Apparently, it is somewhat prohibitive for foreign physicians to come to the States and some look at other options.

Take care,

chbare.

Are you certified and/or licensed as a Medical Doctor (MD), or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), in the Philippines?

As many of your countrymen and women are working in American hospitals, as full doctors, admittedly after taking additional Medical College classes here in the United States, I honestly cannot see someone already with training beyond my own not continuing to get the same level of license/certification as the country they are from, instead of becoming my partner as an EMT on the ambulance. I see it as a waste of talent.

There are so many Philippine Doctors and Nurses here in the New York City area, they actually have their own orchestra and chorus association, which I heard a few years ago, performing at the Saint Albans (New York) Veterans Administration Hospital. If they could do it, why don't you become a doctor or nurse here in the US (being a musician is not a core requirement, lol)?

By the same concept, I know quite a few US Citizens who are now MDs, who got their first few years of Medical College in a location other than the US, then finished at a Medical School "in the States". They went to schools in Mexico, Granada, at least one from Cambridge, England, and are all excellent doctors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.