New EMT first shift

littledoveab54

Hello everyone! I'm a new EMT who just got her first job and my first shit is a 24. Which I'm already nervous about!!!

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to bring for my shift or other advice that would help me get through this without screwing it up to bad????

First, take deep slow breaths.

Tell your partner what they probably already figured out, that you're new, and ask their guidance so you don't mess up, then follow their suggestions.

Also, when posting, watch those typo errors, one got by you indicating just how nervous you are, as you enter that first 24 hour shift.

Don't worry, we don't bite.

Too Hard, anyway.

Welcome aboard EMT City, and into our crazy EMS world.

........ and my first shit is a 24.

EPIC first post!!! :thumbsup: I just love a good blooper reel.

First shift... Take a deep breath, let your training take over, and learn how to talk to patients.

Let us know how it goes!

Welcome to the boards.

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to watch the typos.

We're still using paper for our PCRs. Do the electronic ones have spell-check? :dribble:

Take some deep breaths and enjoy it. If the company you're starting with is worth its salt they won't abandon you too yourself right away. Ask questions if you're unsure of things, but be mindful who you ask.

:edited for spelling only:

Edited by rock_shoes

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to bring for my shift or other advice that would help me get through this without screwing it up to bad????

Great first tips of "take a deep breath". Just be sure to exhale between them. ha ha

I had the same questions on my first shift which wasn't all that long ago. So...what do you bring?

Aside from your full uniform, watch, stethoscope,pens, etc., bring a book (suggest your school book) for down time.

Bring cash as well as a food until you get an idea of what your crew does for meals. In my experience, if I bring food, we tend to go out and if I don't, well...you get the picture.

Bring a sleeping bag or blanket and pillow until you know what the sleeping accomodations are.

Bring toiletries (and towel) in case you have to decon yourself during shift...as well as a second uniform/change of clothes.

Bring your enthusiasm for your new job and a willingness to learn.

Check your ego at the door (if you have one).

Be sure to learn from your FTO to start with. Don't pick up the bad habits from others until you are cleared and you have a better idea of what is right...or not.

Ask questions. Don't be afraid to get in there and do what you've been trained to do. Be aggressive but not over assertive. Have fun.

And, let us know how the first shift went for you!

Toni

Great first tips of "take a deep breath". Just be sure to exhale between them. ha ha

I had the same questions on my first shift which wasn't all that long ago. So...what do you bring?

Aside from your full uniform, watch, stethoscope,pens, etc., bring a book (suggest your school book) for down time.

Bring cash as well as a food until you get an idea of what your crew does for meals. In my experience, if I bring food, we tend to go out and if I don't, well...you get the picture.

Bring a sleeping bag or blanket and pillow until you know what the sleeping accomodations are.

Bring toiletries (and towel) in case you have to decon yourself during shift...as well as a second uniform/change of clothes.

Bring your enthusiasm for your new job and a willingness to learn.

Check your ego at the door (if you have one).

Be sure to learn from your FTO to start with. Don't pick up the bad habits from others until you are cleared and you have a better idea of what is right...or not.

Ask questions. Don't be afraid to get in there and do what you've been trained to do. Be aggressive but not over assertive. Have fun.

And, let us know how the first shift went for you!

Toni

Thanks Toni... that helped so much!!

Well everyone...I'm addicted!!!!!

My first shift is one for the books!..... All I have heard from friends is how scary the first call is, or how bad you very first shift can be.

Not mine, this should sum it up for you without a long boring story .........

Very first call in my EMS career was a cardiac save, and we had three life flights.

Granted most people wouldn't be happy with three however, my dream is to be a flight medic, so being able to see that on my first day was awesome. No one died and the crew worked so well together. Everyone answered my questions and took the time to even go the extra mile to teach me.

I'm very happy and very tired...... I think it's going to take a little while to get used to the 24's LOL

Again Thank you for all your advice everyone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.