Texas questions

EMT412

Hey I am am EMT in California and is going to be moving to Texas soon. I had some questions for people in Texas if they can help out. First In California we have Ambulance drivers license does Texas have the same?

Where is a good place to work in Texas?

I am thinking of getting my medic before moving out to Texas how hard is it to transfer my Medic license to Texas if i have the National reg?

Hey I am am EMT in California and is going to be moving to Texas soon. I hope that is for a good reason.I had some questions for people in Texas if they can help out. First In California we have Ambulance drivers license does Texas have the same? Contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

Where is a good place to work in Texas? I'll let the Texans answer that, as I'm from NYC, NY.

I am thinking of getting my medic before moving out to Texas how hard is it to transfer my Medic license to Texas if i have the National reg?

I suggest contacting the Texas Department of Health to see if it would be accepted, either EMT or Paramedic, first.

With current NR just pay the fee to the state. No special DL. As far as good pay like everywhere you have areas that pay good and more that don't. If not already a Paramedic harder to find a good paying job.

With current NR just pay the fee to the state. No special DL. As far as good pay like everywhere you have areas that pay good and more that don't. If not already a Paramedic harder to find a good paying job.

big cities pay well, and they are quite picky.

In case I miss your actual move, Welcome to Texas! To what part of Texas are you looking at moving? In case you haven't seen it, it's pretty big.

Unless there is a special circumstance, we work off of our class C driver's license. So, you might check with the individual services you are interested in.

Where is a good place to work? That really depends on you and your desires. Each service is VERY different, so it depends on what peaks your interest. The more rural you go, the better you will find a service that is Paramedic/EMT where you, as an EMT, can truly work your skills. (Actually, that were both partners get a chance to practice what they've learned.) I'm a paramedic in a rural area with very aggressive protocols which include STEMI (heparin/plavix/metaprolol) and RSI. It's not unheard of to work a patient for 1-1.5 hours because we couldn't get a helicopter to fly. Of course, call volume is lower than what you might find in Austin/Houston/Dallas/San Antonio proper. Of course, they may have less aggresive protocols and shorter transfer times simply because they have all the big hospitals on every corner. And, they usually don't have many EMTs on the truck...they are dual paramedic.

It's not difficult to get reciprocity for your NR. As spenac said, go to the Texas DSHS EMS website for more information.

Texas is what is known as a delegated practice state, which will be a shock for you coming from Cali. There are no state-wide protocols, each med control can determine what they want their personnel to do and not do.

Plenty of good agencies down here... now getting on with one you like, as a brand new medic, is another problem completely :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.