Siren means nothing

driver

The driver that got pulled over can actually win if she knows what she is doing. A siren can't force a driver to drive through red light unless they feel safe. So technically that driver did not violated the law if I understand your story correctly.

Since when was this about forcing a car through an intersection. You were talking about taking an affirmative action to box in an ambulance.

Someone posted Texas law, I now add from the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Laws:

S 1144. Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency

vehicles. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency

vehicle equipped with at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light

visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five

hundred feet to the front of such vehicle other than a police vehicle or

bicycle when operated as an authorized emergency vehicle, and when

audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle by siren, exhaust

whistle, bell, air-horn or electronic equivalent; the driver of every

other vehicle shall yield the right of way and shall immediately drive

to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to the right-hand

edge or curb of the roadway, or to either edge of a one-way roadway

three or more lanes in width, clear of any intersection, and shall stop

and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has

passed, unless otherwise directed by a police officer.

(B) This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an

authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with reasonable care

for all persons using the highway.

Since when was this about forcing a car through an intersection. You were talking about taking an affirmative action to box in an ambulance.

I was replying to that specific case. Generally yes if an officer witness the incident of driver refusing to pull over for emergency vehicle a ticket can be issued.

Someone posted Texas law, I now add from the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Laws:

The law that you posted is nice on paper but useless in real life. A cop needs to actually witness the violation and pull you over. Unless that happens all the laws in the world can't do anything about it.

Since when was this about forcing a car through an intersection.

I did forget to mention that the car and ambulance were eastbound on a divided roadway, that there was no traffic from the north due to it being a bulkhead wall to Jamaica Bay, and as to traffic from the south, a supermarket parking lot, well, there was none at that moment. I was on the wheel of the ambulance in question, and this happened on a clear Sunday mid afternoon. The ambulance was also equipped with forward facing red flashing lights at a height that could presumably be seen in the woman's rear view mirror.

Keep in mind, driver, that what goes around comes around. One of these days it'll be you or someone you love that needs that ambulance. I hope you remember this thread when that day comes and realize you have no room to complain if you have a longer than expected response time. You are a heartless jerk and a coward. One day your holier-than-thou attitude will catch up with you. I'll bet you get a kick out of tailgating other drivers, too.

Keep in mind, driver, that what goes around comes around. One of these days it'll be you or someone you love that needs that ambulance. I hope you remember this thread when that day comes and realize you have no room to complain if you have a longer than expected response time. You are a heartless jerk and a coward. One day your holier-than-thou attitude will catch up with you. I'll bet you get a kick out of tailgating other drivers, too.

:D I can only die once so if an ambulance do not get in time to me oh well i guess i will not make it. Yes i am hearthless jerk and coward and enjoy it every minute of my life.

My bad ,i didn't notice the country you're from. I am from USA, it works totally different here. Police need legal reason to pull you over. Police can't just pull you over in USA.

LOL! You my friend are what we Australians refer to as a Tosser…

So, if you came to Australia you would give way to emergency services? because:

A: You WILL be issued a penalty notice.

B: Police can pull you over without probable cause.

Just because your not issued with any pentiles in America doesn’t make your actions right!

:D I can only die once so if an ambulance do not get in time to me oh well i guess i will not make it. Yes i am hearthless jerk and coward and enjoy it every minute of my life.

So, by your refusal to pull over and let an emergency vehicle, traveling at emergency status, with all authorized emergency lights, sirens and air horns engaged, you get your jollies by potentially hurting strangers whom the emergency vehicle is attempting to get to, by deliberately and maliciously delaying said emergency vehicle's response?

LOL! You my friend are what we Australians refer to as a Tosser…

So, if you came to Australia you would give way to emergency services? because:

A: You WILL be issued a penalty notice.

B: Police can pull you over without probable cause.

Just because your not issued with any pentiles in America doesn't make your actions right!

If i come to Australia, i will be a tourist and have no business driving my self around as I would get lost.

So, by your refusal to pull over and let an emergency vehicle, traveling at emergency status, with all authorized emergency lights, sirens and air horns engaged, you get your jollies by potentially hurting strangers whom the emergency vehicle is attempting to get to, by deliberately and maliciously delaying said emergency vehicle's response?

I sure do. It's not my fault that driver is not skilled enough to get around me.

Driver:

1) Are you a member of an Emergency Medical Service, or any emergency service?

2) How long have you been with that service?

3) In that service, have you gone through an Emergency Vehicle Operator's Course, or an equivalent class?

From what I have seen of your postings, I believe the answer to these questions is a resounding NO.

(Speaking from 37 years of New York City area ambulance crew experience, and my Aussie friend from at least 5 , and probably more, years of experience)