CA EMS License Plate

CAEMS

After 9/11, there was an explosion of FF plates here, which the proceeds going to a memorial fund. Nobody thinks the person driving the vehicle is a FF because anyone can purchase them. The thing that sets apart members of the fire service from supporters or fans are the larger IAFF stickers that go on the window of the car. Additionally, many local chapters have a separate, smaller window decal that signifies their membership in a local union.

Simply having an EMS license plate will not mean anything- unless the car also has a light bar, 43 antennas on it's roof, hood, and trunk, flashing grill lights. Those are the clowns who run red lights and drive like idiots, scanners clutched in their hands, trying to be the first to an incident. (BTW- fire fans are exactly the same) Cops can tell a fan a mile away- usually by the number of radios/scanners in someone's car. LOL

I dont know about other places but in NJ you actually have to show your EMT license to get the plate so those with it are EMTs or Medics (there are no medic plates though)

I know what you mean about the wackers. Usually have the plate, the lights, and a S O L sticker across there whole back window. I have even seen folks with responder written backwards on a bug screen. Cops by me usually put them in their place rather quickly.

At least they have rewritten the law for us here and we are treated as ambulances while enroute with folks required to yield to us. Which simply means most folks in our area see a blue light and do the right thing. Amazingly though they see the rig and freeze up and forget to yield to it LOL Maybe we need blue lights on the rigs LOL

BTW Im not a wacker I only have one light on my dash and one in my rear window so folks dont follow me.

I dont know about other places but in NJ you actually have to show your EMT license to get the plate so those with it are EMTs or Medics (there are no medic plates though)

I know what you mean about the wackers. Usually have the plate, the lights, and a S O L sticker across there whole back window. I have even seen folks with responder written backwards on a bug screen. Cops by me usually put them in their place rather quickly.

At least they have rewritten the law for us here and we are treated as ambulances while enroute with folks required to yield to us. Which simply means most folks in our area see a blue light and do the right thing. Amazingly though they see the rig and freeze up and forget to yield to it LOL Maybe we need blue lights on the rigs LOL

BTW Im not a wacker I only have one light on my dash and one in my rear window so folks dont follow me.

Well, I should amend my comments. I realize that many folks use their own cars to respond to emergencies so they NEED emergency signals and radios. Those are NOT the people I was referring to.

-Cops might think they're trying to show off and witnessed infractions could actually work against them

-EMT's are healthcare professionals. Weird to advertise your job. Doctors don't (I know the small window sticker does exist, though)

1) Radar gun toting Highway Patrol LEO got me for going a bit too quickly on local streets, noted both me in uniform (on the way home after my tour), and the EMT plates, and as he handed me my ticket, scolded me, as an EMT, that I should know better.

2) I know not about Los Angeles, but in New York City and State, the LEOs seem to give a bit of leeway to doctors, with MD license plates on their cars, in regards to parking.

3) You have to show a copy of your EMT card to get EMT plates here in New York State, too.

4) Apparently, NYS has EMT and EMT-P plates.

5) I have one dash light, and a red, rear facing strobe light. The LEOs usually don't give me any grief for the rear facing light, as I was told to refer to it, by a cop, as an auxiliary stop lamp!

Richard, cops do give leeway here, but there's a HUGE concentration of EMT's here with vast majority being IFT only companies. You see ambulances everywhere. And there's a lot of yahoos. I've been told by cops that EMT's seem to run around like cowboys (and that reflects what I've seen). So, the plate MIGHT just add to that image.

Versus the cop coming up and "finding out" that you were an EMT.

AND I actually honestly don't know what the majority of cops would think about it around here. I bet most wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Just saying that's some of the concerns I've heard my coworkers say in regard to the plates...

Does california have a duty to stop law?

Again, commenting from a New York State of mind, we don't have a duty to stop type law. They recognize that EMT plates mean the vehicle is owned by an EMT, but a non EMT family member might be driving.

I'd encourage all to use the site's search function to review numerous commentary from many city members re legal duty to stop/duty to act versus moral duty to stop/duty to act.

Penna. requires you be currently certified, and have a chief officer from a station which you actively serve, sign the form, in order to get a plate. Once you are not active, it has to be turned in. They aren't vanity for the general public, the same with the fire plates, the money goes to the DOT. But various organizations have their own plates.

Herbie. i know what you mean. No need to ammend. I also wasnt talking about responders that use their vehicle to run to the scene. I know some areas have that and the lights and radios and such are justified.

I was talking about more of the general wacker that cant even drive the rig yet has more lights then every rig in town combined. Flys to the building, blows red lights and such and then has to wait for their partner or senior member to drive. Its those yahoos that give most responders a bad name.

I understand the need for certain lights, if alot of blind intersections are traveled (those with just stop signs or nothing at all) I can see the need for say side strobes / flashers. This just adds to the safety after of course coming to a stop and checking the intersection is clear (same as with the rig). Rear lights help just keep the general public from following up your tailpipe if your moving traffic.

As for the radios and antennas well thats all up to you personally. I know alot of states dont allow scanners in vehicles unless they are government (state, local, federal) use only. A squad issued radio is different, if you have one then apparently its necessary and I dont frown upon that. I personally have a CB and my squad issued radio (motorola CDM1550 LS) in my vehicle but use low profile antennas that are hardly seen. The squad issued radio is only because I am a line officer now in my squad and on occasion have to come to scenes in my vehicle for whatever reason. Just helps in coordinating my arrivial with fire, pd or ems.

As far as the plates and PD, I have no real experiences with that. Usually get a wave or a nod from LEOs, haven't had the experience of being stopped yet.

With regards to the duty to stop, its personel. If I am solo and feel I need to then I will. If I have my family with me then usually just make a 911 call without stoping. NJ does not have a duty to act law so the call is for my personel peace of mind. Do I worry if folks see the plate and I dont stop? Sometimes, but normally folks dont even see whole cars in their lanes so i doubt they would spot the plates.

Oh well, guess I'm a whacker! (Been called much worse things! :shiftyninja: ). I have a helicopter decal with the words flight crew on the back of my car. I figure it saves the Chippie the effort of pulling out his/her ticket book and me the trouble of a ticket. :rolleyes2: Worked for me a couple of times! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Edited by Aussieaid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.