CA EMS License Plate

CAEMS

There is a very limited time left for the CA EMS Authority to collect 7,500 orders for EMS license plates - less than five months left. With out at least 7,500 orders the program will be discontinued. For more details and to order your EMS plate, visit

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/about/license_plate/default.asp

Also, visit our Facebook page - search California Emergency Medical Services Authority.

There is a very limited time left for the CA EMS Authority to collect 7,500 orders for EMS license plates - less than five months left. With out at least 7,500 orders the program will be discontinued. For more details and to order your EMS plate, visit

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/about/license_plate/default.asp

Also, visit our Facebook page - search California Emergency Medical Services Authority.

Does california have a duty to stop law?

Does california have a duty to stop law?

Displaying the EMS License Plate does not require a Duty to Act. The plate is available so that EMS professionals and EMS supporters can show their dedication to the EMS field. Registration fees for the plate are then distributed to charitable organizations and EMS programs throughout California.

I hope that this program is not as anal as the New York State one.

EMT, EMT-P, VAS (Volunteer Ambulance Service), VAC (Volunteer Ambulance Corps), VF (Volunteer Fire Fighter), and FF (Fire Fighter, meaning a paid department member) plates, with the letters "stacked" and followed by a number, are considered "Vanity" plates, as are "call sign" plates for licensed "Ham" (Amateur Radio Service) operators, and MD plates for Doctors. However, the Ham and MD plates, as well as veteran's organizations, only get the regular vehicle registration fee, the others have an additional "special" fee tacked on.

In addition, the NYS DMV issued plates refuses to put the "Star Of Life" design onto the plates, but does put a "Maltese Cross" like design on the plates for both vollie and paid Fire Fighters. They claim they don't want to pay for "copyrights" for the SOLs, yet everyone and their brother is using the SOL design for stickers, T-Shirts, placards, and even SOL underwear. (Despite accusations, I wear regular underwear, not SOL underwear.)

The California plate sample shown, at least, has the SOL on it.

I hope that this program is not as anal as the New York State one.

EMT, EMT-P, VAS (Volunteer Ambulance Service), VAC (Volunteer Ambulance Corps), VF (Volunteer Fire Fighter), and FF (Fire Fighter, meaning a paid department member) plates, with the letters "stacked" and followed by a number, are considered "Vanity" plates, as are "call sign" plates for licensed "Ham" (Amateur Radio Service) operators, and MD plates for Doctors. However, the Ham and MD plates, as well as veteran's organizations, only get the regular vehicle registration fee, the others have an additional "special" fee tacked on.

In addition, the NYS DMV issued plates refuses to put the "Star Of Life" design onto the plates, but does put a "Maltese Cross" like design on the plates for both vollie and paid Fire Fighters. They claim they don't want to pay for "copyrights" for the SOLs, yet everyone and their brother is using the SOL design for stickers, T-Shirts, placards, and even SOL underwear. (Despite accusations, I wear regular underwear, not SOL underwear.)

The California plate sample shown, at least, has the SOL on it.

Richard, don't you mean SOILED instead of SOL???

By the way, I have placed some store bought SOLs onto my plates! Yes, there is the issue on the legality of "obstructing the license plates", but neither the NYPD, the Nassau County PD, the Port Authority PD of NY & NJ, or the NY State Police have ever questioned me on that.

Richard, don't you mean SOILED instead of SOL???

No, I mean SOL for Star Of Life. Only after I drive through mud puddles, is it Soiled.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I think the copyright expired on the Star of Life, b/c they all used to have a trademark registration attached. Hell, even our patches had it, but now they don't. I read that somewhere.

ems.jpg

NJ (surprisingly) has the S O L on the plates. $25 fee for them but I hear that part of it goes to a fund for fallen brothers.

new-jersey-emt-a-plate.jpg

now the funny thing is EMT-A doesnt stand for advanced it stands for ambulance :rolleyes:

Edited by UGLyEMT

PA has that, well, not any more, but from the 70's/80's. Different EMT certifications. Some were trained for working in ER's.. some for ambulances. My white coveralls have an EMT-Ambulance patch for PA.

CAEMS,

I think the reason the state is low on applications is:

-Concern about driving past accident scenes without stopping could cause a poor image

-Cops might think they're trying to show off and witnessed infractions could actually work against them

-EMT's are healthcare professionals. Weird to advertise your job. Doctors don't (I know the small window sticker does exist, though)

-Los Angeles County has a high EMT concentration, but many make minimum wage (if not FF's), thus special plates might be an expense we can't afford.

-Puts our profession (or driver) in the category of "wanker" / "Ricky Rescue" and harder to be accepted as an allied healthcare worker.

Those are just reasons I've heard from different people.

I do appreciate the state trying to do this for us, though. I appreciate the hard work the intern put into it. I think there are much graver things that need to be addressed than vanity plates at this time, though.

-Respectfully,

Anthony

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.