The system works

Richard B the EMT

Some of you might know, by reading my postings, and others from New York State, that the NYS DoH is in the process of implementing a "5 Year Continuing Medical Education" program for EMT-B re certification, as opposed to 3 year re certification classes. They are still trying to decide of EMTs in "non-patient contact" areas should or should not be included in the program.

Non patient contact areas would be EMTs working in areas where they do support service type work, but have no usual patient contact. There is an in-house discussion on this, as the FDNY EMD call-takers, by talking with patients on the phone, or giving pre-arrival first aid instructions, are making patient contact, but the dispatchers, who primarily talk to EMTs and Paramedics via the radio, do not.

Anyway, I take training for "CORE" areas (no idea what the acronym is), and "Bridge" classes, for any hour long drills I may have missed during any specific period, as given by the FDNY Division of Training, at somewhat regular intervals. I am also taking some classes outside the department, such as the seminars given at the "Pulse Check" Annual Convention, Educational Conference, and Trade Show, of the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association (NYSVARA).

At the NYSVARA event, we sign off on each class we take, with records to go to the DoH, BEMS (Bureau of EMS). We do the same with the FDNY D.O.T.

Even before I entered the 5 year program, I had been bringing my "outside" class attendance proofs to the FDNY D.O.T. for recording, and get denied by them. At least they have the decency to tell me to hang on to it, because, as the entire program is in such state of flux, they won't accept them this week, but might next week.\

Somehow, the system works. My last full refresher class was 3 years ago, and I got my card at that time. Today, I just got a new EMT card in the mail, good until 2015!

Not bad for someone who, due to injuries, has been working "inside" for the last 3 years. (I've been running the FDNY Bureau of Health Services Duty Determination Clinic's Triage Room, taking BPs for the most part. It's Patient Contact!)

In Saskatchewan we have a 1 year renewal period with (depending on your certification level, EMT having the most required credits) Continuing Medical Education Credit requirements. All programs must be approved by the Saskatchewan college of paramedics, certain things are mandatory for certain periods (CPR yearly, Biomechanics of Safe Lifting every 2 years etc...) and others are whatever you can take that fits the requirements, whether online or through in-service training sessions. 5 year periods would be nice...

NJ is doing the same Richard. 5 year renewals but I missed the cutoff by 3 days LOL. I still have a 3 year renewal.

As for the CEUs, I am the same as you the "in-house" stuff is immedatly approved but all my on-line or independant classes (non in-house) seem to get rejected but at least the DoH accepts them so my creds are current.

Its funny that it works but it does. Surprisingly I might add

As for the CEUs, I am the same as you the "in-house" stuff is immedatly approved but all my on-line or independant classes (non in-house) seem to get rejected but at least the DoH accepts them so my creds are current.

Your people giving the same BS of "not accepting it AT THIS TIME, but hold on to it in case we do" line?