My Day Job Safety Boss Is Officially A Moron

uglyEMT

Well my day job's Safety Boss is officially a moron now. He calls me up today and says a I have saftey training tomorrow, so I inquire as to what and why. I have recently just got done with refreshers. He proceeds to tell me I have to go for CPR training and Defib training. I tell him no need and hand him both my CPR card from AHA and my state EMT ID which states defib cert. Now comes the moron part...

He tells me and I quote, " Those mean nothing to me, you have to be trained by our instructors and on our equipment." wtf2.gif

I inquire as to why this training and equipment would be any diffrent then what I am already certified with. He tells me that just because I am an EMT doesnt mean I know what I am doing and that our equipment is diffrent then what anyone else uses.

I ask what CPR training am I going to be taught.... we are going to show you how to do compressions and breathing by a "professional" cpr instructor. Um OK doesnt my CPR card already mean that? DUH!!

I ask as to which Defib (I do know) equipment we will be training on... Fully automated AEDs again by "professional" instructors. Um OK doesnt my defib cert for manual AEDs already mean that? Double DUH!!

I try and explain to the safety guy that all my EMT certs are at or above what they will be training me on and that it should be good enough that I am showing my credentials. I was then told that my credentials are not recognized by my company because their instructors didnt do the training.

I officially work for morons. I will go to the training tomorrow and waste the day listening to them tell me what I already know. Oh well at least I can use the time to refresh my skills on the maniquins. I wonder if I can get CEUs from it LOL

Just needed to vent folks.... repley away if you would like.

BTW my day job has nothing to do with EMS or medical anything just an industrial company that wants workers trained to save folks yet wont allow a first aid kit because they dont want folks dispensing medicine. I dunno.. I dont make the policy I just follow it.

Well my day job's Safety Boss is officially a moron now. He calls me up today and says a I have saftey training tomorrow, so I inquire as to what and why. I have recently just got done with refreshers. He proceeds to tell me I have to go for CPR training and Defib training. I tell him no need and hand him both my CPR card from AHA and my state EMT ID which states defib cert. Now comes the moron part...

He tells me and I quote, " Those mean nothing to me, you have to be trained by our instructors and on our equipment." wtf2.gif

I inquire as to why this training and equipment would be any diffrent then what I am already certified with. He tells me that just because I am an EMT doesnt mean I know what I am doing and that our equipment is diffrent then what anyone else uses.

I ask what CPR training am I going to be taught.... we are going to show you how to do compressions and breathing by a "professional" cpr instructor. Um OK doesnt my CPR card already mean that? DUH!!

I ask as to which Defib (I do know) equipment we will be training on... Fully automated AEDs again by "professional" instructors. Um OK doesnt my defib cert for manual AEDs already mean that? Double DUH!!

I try and explain to the safety guy that all my EMT certs are at or above what they will be training me on and that it should be good enough that I am showing my credentials. I was then told that my credentials are not recognized by my company because their instructors didnt do the training.

I officially work for morons. I will go to the training tomorrow and waste the day listening to them tell me what I already know. Oh well at least I can use the time to refresh my skills on the maniquins. I wonder if I can get CEUs from it LOL

Just needed to vent folks.... repley away if you would like.

BTW my day job has nothing to do with EMS or medical anything just an industrial company that wants workers trained to save folks yet wont allow a first aid kit because they dont want folks dispensing medicine. I dunno.. I dont make the policy I just follow it.

My suspicion is that your safety officer is not a moron. I'd suspect that your company has it's own requirements and the classes you need to have including defib and cpr need to be taught by an instructor qualified by your company.

It's sort of like my old job as a dispatcher. 911 service. No pre-arrival information was ever given by the dispatchers. They just took the call and then dispatched it.

When I went to work there, I was told that my medic didn't hold any water there because the county commission would not allow the liability. To make a long story short, I gave pre-arrivals but it was a rarity.

I'm sure that your companies liability insurance carrier requires that your company provide the training and they do not take into account your training as an EMT. As a matter of fact, I'll bet they probably wouldn't even take into account a physicians credentials. The safety officer I would bet was following policy which is not a bad thing.

How is he supposed to know what you were taught. Sure it's an approved AHA Course but let's not forget the idiots up in massachussetts who paid for their continuing education but didn't actually take the classes.

How is your safety officer to know if you really took the class?

Honestly, no offense intended here but if you are not using your EMT training on your job which you say your job there doesn't have EMS in it, and you want to continue to work there, just take the classes and get the extra day's pay. Consider it a day off with pay from the grind of your current job duties.

I always enjoy training days. They are few and far between so enjoy them while you can. Who cares if they are teaching you again.

You get an extra days' pay and the company fulfills it's duties to whoever the heck requires what they require.

Your boss is not a moron.

You work in an industrial setting. OSHA rules are very strict and if you have not completed any of your OSHA courses (which I assume not or you would know) they are very clear in regards to employee training and the fact that it must be done by the company's designated representative and it has to be well documented as evidenced by the sign in sheets.

There are HUGE fines with non-compliance.

Plus, he is right. If you are not familiar with their equipment, it could be problematic in an emergency...it is possible.

See this is why i come here LOL I guess I took it all the wrong way. I understand the OSHA thing. We get training constantly here for everything. I guess the CPR thing threw me though because I figured an AHA card was universally recognized thats all. I dont mind going through the training, it gives me 2 hours off from my job and practice at skills.

I guess my thing was what was said and how it was said. Having one of those days and then this and well........

Thanks guys thumbsup.gif

BTW my boss is still a moron in my book LOL devilish.gif

Edited by UGLyEMT

One of the jobs I had in MI, I was working for a manufacturing company that produced cowls for several automobile manufacturers.

I tried to get onto the 'first response team' since I had credentials in hazardous materials (awareness and response) as well as firefighting and had my EMT-B, (AED, CPR, BTLS, and PHTLS).

The supervisor that I had to talk to (who by, the way didn't like me), stated that since it wasn't 'the (insert company name here) way', my credentials meant nothing. I offered to take their silly classes and was told "it isn't feasible to bring the instructors in for just one person".

I guess the 'company way' outranks the 'State requirements'!

While I agree that the classes would be a break with pay from the daily grind of 'industrial duties', the supervisors (especially if they're trained themselves) need to realize that EMT outranks MFR any day of the week, in any situations where there is a 'first responder' situation.

Unfortunately, even as an EMT, if the First Responder does something wrong, the higher license has to answer for it; even if only for nothing more than being a 'higher license'.

In the field, the EMT-P must answer for the actions of the lower license levels on their truck. Similarly, if the field crew commits a breech of protocol resulting in injury, the Medical Command Physician must also answer for the actions of the offending crew.

This concept is known as ‘Respondeat superior’ (Let the master answer). This applies to more than just the employee/employer relationship. We’re taught this in Med/Legal as an EMT-B. (I can’t say if MFR is taught this, since I’ve never taken a MFR class). The concept is further reinforced at the EMT-I and EMT-P levels.

While I cannot cite specific case law where this has actually occurred, there IS the potential for the EMT-B to have to answer for the actions of any MFR on site, simply because they were the ‘higher licensed provider in house’ at the time of the incident. A ‘personal injury lawyer’ is going to go searching to find anyone and everyone that they can make pay. This will include a higher licensed health care provider.

One of the jobs I had in MI, I was working for a manufacturing company that produced cowls for several automobile manufacturers.

I tried to get onto the 'first response team' since I had credentials in hazardous materials (awareness and response) as well as firefighting and had my EMT-B, (AED, CPR, BTLS, and PHTLS).

The supervisor that I had to talk to (who by, the way didn't like me), stated that since it wasn't 'the (insert company name here) way', my credentials meant nothing. I offered to take their silly classes and was told "it isn't feasible to bring the instructors in for just one person".

I guess the 'company way' outranks the 'State requirements'!

While I agree that the classes would be a break with pay from the daily grind of 'industrial duties', the supervisors (especially if they're trained themselves) need to realize that EMT outranks MFR any day of the week, in any situations where there is a 'first responder' situation.

Unfortunately, even as an EMT, if the First Responder does something wrong, the higher license has to answer for it; even if only for nothing more than being a 'higher license'.

In the field, the EMT-P must answer for the actions of the lower license levels on their truck. Similarly, if the field crew commits a breech of protocol resulting in injury, the Medical Command Physician must also answer for the actions of the offending crew.

This concept is known as ‘Respondeat superior’ (Let the master answer). This applies to more than just the employee/employer relationship. We’re taught this in Med/Legal as an EMT-B. (I can’t say if MFR is taught this, since I’ve never taken a MFR class). The concept is further reinforced at the EMT-I and EMT-P levels.

While I cannot cite specific case law where this has actually occurred, there IS the potential for the EMT-B to have to answer for the actions of any MFR on site, simply because they were the ‘higher licensed provider in house’ at the time of the incident. A ‘personal injury lawyer’ is going to go searching to find anyone and everyone that they can make pay. This will include a higher licensed health care provider.

I agree, however since ugly is not working as an EMT at the time of the incident would she really be responsible for others actions?

Yup he's a moron. There was no life gaurd on his gene pool. But. I think the reason you should go is team ethics as well to support your local safety Nazi. Its a thankless job.

Yup he's a moron. There was no life gaurd on his gene pool. But. I think the reason you should go is team ethics as well to support your local safety Nazi. Its a thankless job.

Joseph, what are you talking about. did you even read AK's post?