Pay scale for echo unit?

medic82942003

OK folks need some help on a pay scale problem, I got offered a job to work in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, They want me

to work a echo unit ALS 911 in the UP. So basically I would show up on scene, do my ALS thing and load in a ambulance and transport to the hospital. Problem is salary? I dont have a bloody clue what the normal rate of pay would be. Thay said in a 24 hour shift I would get a flat rate pay. Then when I get a call the pay scale would jump during the call. Any body ever work like this. Dont know the call volume, but the area is near Marquette MI. Ant ideas folks. on what a pay scale should be?

Edited by medic82942003

I don't know specifics as far as call volume, but I went to school in Houghton. Marquette is the major hospital for the entire UP, Level II trauma center and good surgical staff. Otherwise, there's Portage Health in Houghton/Hancock and War Memorial in the Soo with basic ER's. And Marquette is the largest population center in the UP with over 65K. Lots of college students between Northern and Michigan Tech (in Houghton), snowmobilers, hunters, tourists/campers, highway accidents with snow and deer/elk/moose, any injuries on Lake Superior within helo reach... I would imagine the call volume is fairly decent. I worked SAR in Houghton and we had over 300 calls a winter, covering the Keewenaw and Porkies. Sorry I can't be of more help.

edit: MGH also houses a large nursing school and small residency program (only certain specialties). It's a very busy hospital.

Edited by maverick56

I sure as heck would not negotiate pay without knowing call volume, especially when that is the only time your pay goes up.

I much rather have a steady check than a fluctuating one based on call volume....from past experience I have been on busy units that barely turned a wheel a few shifts in a row which is unheard of...would you gamble that risk with your paycheck?

I thank you both, both good reponses. I wont accept until I get some good info about the job. The lady I talked to was just the

human resouce lady and did not apear to know aboput the ems aspects. Thanks.

Run fast-think small-pray the other guy is a bad shot. Dont step on anything that goes boom.

Like we used to say in the Persian Gulf-look on the bright side, there isnt one.

Edited by medic82942003
  • Like 1