Good Books

DartmouthDave

Hello,

I read a fair bit and I thought it would be an interesting idea to start a thread suggesting some interesting and unique books for people to read. I am going to start off with two that have nothing to do with EMS. Here are a couple of travel/adventure type books that I like that just happen to be about A'Stan.

"The Places in Between" is about a fellow that walked across A'Stan just after the Norther Alliance (with lots of help) defeated the Taliban in 2001. It has received rave reviews and is quite good. A must read I think.

The Places in Between

" A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush" A much older book on A'Stan written by Eric Newby in the 1950's. Back when A'Stan was a tourist destination and stable. Newby was a SBS (Special Boat Service) vet of WWII who gets tired of working in fashion after WWII and tries to climb a massive mountain with a Diplomat friend. Awesome book that is filled with wonder dry British wit. For example, "Years in the fashion industry has made me feebel." I have a 1st edition of this one complete with the receipt for a book store in NSW.

A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush

Here is a little more about Newby himself:

Eric Newby

Ok...there are tor for now. I have many more.

Cheers

Edited by DartmouthDave

Ok, how bout these

Same Kind of Different, As me (I don't remember the author) a story of redemption and forgiveness

A Knights Quest by Mark Creech (I know this author personally)

The Bourne Objective -- Eric Von Lustbader

Pillars of the Earth -- Ken Follett

Because I used to date the subject of this autobiography, I would like to recommend "Looking For Lost Bird", by Yvette Melanson. (No, it is not a book about birds!)

She barely mentions her first husband, so I am not offended by my NOT being mentioned in the book. After writing it, she has since divorced and remarried.