Dipping'

Doc D

Anyone here Dip?

As far as 'dipping' is concerned, maybe you should take a look at Rick Bender, and listen to his story. Hopefully, it will change your mind about that habit!

01temp4lp.jpg

More images of the effects of 'dipping'

Define Dip?

Timmy,

'Dipping' is the use ofsmokeless tobaddo; chewing tobacco or 'snuff', (ie: Skoal, Kodiak, Red Man, Beech Nut).

Essentially, its a tobacco product that is either placed between the cheek and gum, or between the bottom lip and gum.

Even if it doesn't cause cancer, it has a tendency to cause the gums to recede, (leading to tooth decay/loss) and the acids from the niccotine destroy bone mass in the mandible.

Misc_dipping_brands.jpg

Dipping_tobacco_in_mouth.jpg

Anyone here Dip?

It's a disgusting habit.

Imagine being evaluated by a dipping paramedic and he's hovering over your face talking to you and out pops a big ole glob of tobacco juice right in your eye.

Yep I've seen it happen, happened about 2 years ago to a patient I was treating, my EMT partner was hovering over the patient asking her questions and out dropped a big ole mess of tobacco juice into her right eye. To say the least the patient was PISSED as woudl I have been.

I worked with a guy who carried around a big spit cup. He tried to bring it into the rig and I said no friggin way would I tolerate that. Disgusting. Swallow it or spit it on the ground, but seeing someone constantly spit into a cup grosses me out.

Holly cow!

That is grossly unacceptable, very unprofessional and a massive infection control risk! The poor patients…

Not that I have bared witness to an individual in Australia partake in such an unusual activity but I’d blatantly refuse to work with anyone displaying such odd behaviour… Come on bro, you’re a health care professional… Spitting into a cup or your masticated tobacco coming into contact with a patient’s eye??

And I thought chewing gum in front of a patient’s was unprofessional…

FAIL!

Holly cow!

That is grossly unacceptable, very unprofessional and a massive infection control risk! The poor patients…

Not that I have bared witness to an individual in Australia partake in such an unusual activity but I’d blatantly refuse to work with anyone displaying such odd behaviour… Come on bro, you’re a health care professional… Spitting into a cup or your masticated tobacco coming into contact with a patient’s eye??

And I thought chewing gum in front of a patient’s was unprofessional…

FAIL!

LOL, he's an Army medic, Timmy. EVERYBODY in the Army dips. Well, ok, I never did, but it's very very common among soldiers.

Smoked in high school, quit, find it unappealing now. Never used snuff, chew, et al. That's just terribly unappealing. I tend to see a lot more people do it, the farther back in the sticks I get. Men, women, youth. It's their mouth, but I dislike someone spitting all over the ground. Or.. out the ambulance window, so it's splattered down the sides, or on the door.

Edited by 4c6

Attractive.......

Can't say I've ever heard of it lol

Hey, don't knock it. After my experience with Australian manna (called Vegemite), I am not sure "dipping" is any worse. :D

Take care,

chbare.