House

So who watched House tonight? I was seriously peeved when he looked at the Paramedic and told him to start an IV in the patients tibia. The Paramedic gave a bland stare and then House made a comment about how they don't teach that in EMT school. First of all, that was deeply offensive to our profession. Secondly, IOs are most certainly taught in Paramedic training around the nation. The mere fact that the Paramedic had to step away from the patient and ask House what to do was insulting. Why does every show that has an EMT in it have to make us look like a bunch of inept fools who can't do a professional job on our best days?

House is one of my favorite shows, but I was ticked tonight.

Actually, I thought it was interesting subtle commentary on what you are and are not taught in EMS education. House was disdainful... and rightfully so, when he's got a paramedic ASKING him what to do. Ok, so they showed EMS as not so with it again... at least he didn't call him an ambulance driver and the guy was actually down there providing patient care of sorts. And it didn't glorify fire... which I am also OK with.

I was more interested in the psychology of this episode. Hugh Laurie is doing a fantastic job with that character. One tiny extra nail in the TV EMS coffin didn't distract me too much.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I have not watched House for a while, but from what I do remember, he tended to be pretty arrogant and had quite the ego. So, I would assume it was just his character being the superior figure like he always was even to other doctors.

This is typical even in real life settings.

My family LOVES House. Personally I think it's a ridiculous show. Every day they deal with some bizarre disease or issue that nobody has ever heard of. A doctor who everyone knows is a drug addict, but happens to be a brilliant diagnostician, so they ignore his problems. He walks into surgical suites with no gown, mask or gloves, just to bust the chops of some flunky resident? Bull. I realize it's TV but come on- how about at least a LITTLE realism, folks?

A doctor who everyone knows is a drug addict, but happens to be a brilliant diagnostician, so they ignore his problems.

Er... that's more likely than you'd probably want to know. There's a reason why boards of medicine have alcohol and drug diversion programs to treat and reinstate physicians with substance abuse problems.

Well, to be technical. If the actor was playing an EMT, then they probably didn't teach him that...in EMT School. ha ha. But lets remember, it is set in New Jersey, the black eye to all of EMS - Worldwide.

My family LOVES House. Personally I think it's a ridiculous show. Every day they deal with some bizarre disease or issue that nobody has ever heard of.
That's the fun part of it. And the episodes were originally based on the records of real cases...not just bizarre what ifs that writers came up with.

One could also go on about how quickly they get lab results and how the doctors are all pros at doing every lab themselves, from getting the sample to running the lab to interpretation of every result themselves.

Er... that's more likely than you'd probably want to know. There's a reason why boards of medicine have alcohol and drug diversion programs to treat and reinstate physicians with substance abuse problems.

Trust me- I worked with more than a few RN's who were "impaired" as well as docs. One was even fired for playing games with the narcotics logs to support her habit. This was also before drug testing, so it was a lot more commonplace then.

I even knew a pharmacist who readily admitted she had a substance abuse problem- although her's was alcohol, and I never saw her impaired at work. Damn shame, too- this woman was drop dead beautiful, brilliant, and a helluva good time to party with. LOL

Problem is, they show House popping pills like they are M&M's as he's walking around the hospital, working. I've NEVER seen that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.