sociology experiment

tskstorm

We did this experiment in class, and I found it quite interesting, and wanted to get some more opinions from people out of the area.

Your job is you chose to play is to create a society. WW3 has started and the nuclear weapons went off, you and 9 others (total of 10) are in a bunker with no knowledge of whats going on outside the bunker. You may be the only 10 people left, however there is only enough food for 7 people, you must choose the 7 people to keep and the 3 people to outcast/kill.

The 10 people are:

Priest

16 year old blind pregnant girl

Farmer

Police officer

History professor

Prostitute

70yr old Doctor

Lawyer

Army Captain

Medical Student

------------------

So basically tell us which 7 you would keep and list a reason, and which 3 you would outcast/kill and why.

Having already done this I'm going to just play devils advocate and ask you questions about your society and your choices.

I'm going to reason as best I can here. My comments italicized.

You may be the only 10 people left, however there is only enough food for 7 people, you must choose the 7 people to keep and the 3 people to outcast/kill.

The 10 people are:

Priest

Unknown

16 year old blind pregnant girl

Start of repopulating the world

Farmer

Gotta try to grow food after leaving the shelter

Police officer

Security against other surviving shelters people trying to take our stuff?

History professor

Writing the next chapter in human history?

Prostitute

Again, repopulating the world

70yr old Doctor

Medical care of us survivors, also if that prostitute has a STD?

Lawyer

I don't know

Army Captain

Military got us into this mess, so, unknown

Medical Student

Learn the doctor's teachings, take care of us medically

I'm going to reason as best I can here. My comments italicized.

so you're dumping the Priest, Lawyer and Army Captain? So your society will have no faith, no law, and no army?

My thoughts on each.

The 10 people are:

Priest-

Different people have different religious beliefs. Out him... We can carry on our own religious beliefs to the new generation.

16 year old blind pregnant girl-

Well since we can keep only 7, who would we have to out after the baby is born? I worked that into this. Keep her.

Farmer-

Keep for food and crops

Police officer-

Keep to restore order.

History professor-

Our history needs to be remembered. Keep him

Prostitute-

Well she might get frisky. Out her.

70yr old Doctor-

Hes old. Med student will suffice.

Lawyer-

No need for him

Army Captain-

Someone will need to help the cop restore order,

Medical Student-

Keep him for medical purposes.

I question back at you, sir: Aside from the priest, the pregnant girl, the prostitute, and the 70 year old doctor, are any of the others females of child bearing age?I also question further on the prostitute, as there are also male prostitutes, be this one a male or female?

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I question back at you, sir: Aside from the priest, the pregnant girl, the prostitute, and the 70 year old doctor, are any of the others females of child bearing age?

Open to interpretation ... Who said the prostitute was a female ?

My thoughts on each.

The 10 people are:

Priest-

Different people have different religious beliefs. Out him... We can carry on our own religious beliefs to the new generation.

16 year old blind pregnant girl-

Well since we can keep only 7, who would we have to out after the baby is born? I worked that into this. Keep her.

Farmer-

Keep for food and crops

Police officer-

Keep to restore order.

History professor-

Our history needs to be remembered. Keep him

Prostitute-

Well she might get frisky. Out her.

70yr old Doctor-

Hes old. Med student will suffice.

Lawyer-

No need for him

Army Captain-

Someone will need to help the cop restore order,

Medical Student-

Keep him for medical purposes.

So the 1st year medical student .. with no residency done will suffice?

No law in your society?

No one said. I went back and edited that question, myself, even as you were answering.

Just open to interpretation there's really no rules except what I stated in the first post

Priest: Kill. I can pray on my own.

16 year old blind pregnant girl: Keep. We need as many people as we can to keep civilization going. She may be blind, but she is with child and that child alone will help repopulate.

Farmer: Keep, food

Police officer: Kill: 10 people is easy to police and in a post apocalyptic society there are no laws to enforce.

History professor: Keep: knowing history means knowing and being able to implement lessons from the past. He could be a wealth of information on various topics both inside his field and outside his field of specialty.

Prostitute: Keep. Women=children (harsh, I know, but it is what it is)

70yr old Doctor: keep to finish training the med student.

Lawyer: Kill: See police officer.

Army Captain: Keep, help to defend the strong hold

Medical Student: Keep. Will be a doctor and the physician can help complete the training.

• Like 1

Priest: Kill. I can pray on my own.

16 year old blind pregnant girl: Keep. We need as many people as we can to keep civilization going. She may be blind, but she is with child and that child alone will help repopulate.

Farmer: Keep, food

Police officer: Kill: 10 people is easy to police and in a post apocalyptic society there are no laws to enforce.

History professor: Keep: knowing history means knowing and being able to implement lessons from the past. He could be a wealth of information on various topics both inside his field and outside his field of specialty.

Prostitute: Keep. Women=children (harsh, I know, but it is what it is)

70yr old Doctor: keep to finish training the med student.

Lawyer: Kill: See police officer.

Army Captain: Keep, help to defend the strong hold

Medical Student: Keep. Will be a doctor and the physician can help complete the training.

So no law or order in your society?

Eventually you want to rebuild and repopulate the earth that's why you kept the blind girl and the prostitute yes? So then who will build the law and order portion of your society when it grows?