sociology experiment

tskstorm

So the 1st year medical student .. with no residency done will suffice?

Residency in what? Given the tools available, the training provided by the old physician will most likely be able to prepare the med student for the resources available. Assuming that the physician is internal med or family practice of course. If he's a radiologist, we're screwed.

No law in your society?

Are the laws in the new society going to be the same as in old society. Is the police officer going to be judge, jury, and executioner? Why can't the military officer act as a police officer?

Residency in what? Given the tools available, the training provided by the old physician will most likely be able to prepare the med student for the resources available. Assuming that the physician is internal med or family practice of course. If he's a radiologist, we're screwed.

Are the laws in the new society going to be the same as in old society. Is the police officer going to be judge, jury, and executioner? Why can't the military officer act as a police officer?

Will the military officer know law? or will he only know army S.O.P. Who will be the judge with no lawyer? the army captain? ... the residency comment was to someone who killed the older physician and kept just the medical student...

So no law or order in your society?

Who says that the police officer is the only person who can make and enforce laws? There was a time before police officers, yes?

Who says that the police officer is the only person who can make and enforce laws? There was a time before police officers, yes?

No one, tell me who from your 7 will though, and why you think they're capable.

Will the military officer know law? or will he only know army S.O.P. Who will be the judge with no lawyer?

Will the police officer know about the law besides enforcing specific statutes? His job isn't the creation (politicians), interpretation (judges) or application (lawyers), but only enforcement. If the only thing you're looking at doing is making sure someone can arrest another person, why couldn't the army officer do that?

No one, tell me who from your 7 will though, and why you think they're capable.

Capable of what? Creating, applying, or enforcing laws?

Will the police officer know about the law besides enforcing specific statutes? His job isn't the creation (politicians), interpretation (judges) or application (lawyers), but only enforcement. If the only thing you're looking at doing is making sure someone can arrest another person, why couldn't the army officer do that?

Capable of what? Creating, applying, or enforcing laws?

Capable of all of the above.

------------------------------

What if I told you the Army captain was an overweight 45 year old female captain of the latrine, and she's spent her entire career cleaning the latrines? still think she's capable of the enforcement ?

I enjoy these types of exercises and I started to compose a response but then I said...wait a minute!

You have not given me enough information.

With the exception of the pregnant girl, I do not know the gender of the other people. This is a survivalist question and gender is extremely relevant regardless of their occupations.

After gender, I need ages. Both of these are more crucial to my overall survival than what they did or know.

Most of the respondents thus far have made assumptions on gender based on job title. Kind of like the kid that gets taken to the hospital by his dad and then the surgeon takes one look and says I cant operate as this is my son. Most people of previous generations and young kids are baffled by this one because they assume the surgeon is male as well, when it is his mom.

Anyways, back to the post, I will comment if I have to based on my assumptions but if the genders are available, I want that info...otherwise I stereotype my response.

And finally, if I am one of the 10...which one am I????

I enjoy these types of exercises and I started to compose a response but then I said...wait a minute!

You have not given me enough information.

With the exception of the pregnant girl, I do not know the gender of the other people. This is a survivalist question and gender is extremely relevant regardless of their occupations.

Most of the respondents thus far have made assumptions on gender based on job title. Kind of like the kid that gets taken to the hospital by his dad and then the surgeon takes one look and says I cant operate as this is my son. Most people of previous generations and young kids are baffled by this one because they assume the surgeon is male as well, when it is his mom.

Anyways, back to the post, I will comment if I have to based on my assumptions but if the genders are available, I want that info...otherwise I stereotype my response.

Unfortunately, I will only give you the information given to me, and as my professor did to us I will do to you, assume someone who's title is not specified is female I will say its a male, assume its a male, I will say its a female.

No ones right or wrong just interesting to see everyone's perspective. It essentially is supposed to be based on your bias what you envision an Army captain is or a prostitute etc...

We were randomly assigned 1 and were sitting in a group of 10 and argued our positions, since we can't really do that, I'm not sure it matters which one you are. However in the interest in seeing some new different responses, choose one, make it random (assign each a number and put it in a hat and pull 1 out) or your favorite, but state who you are and how/why you chose to take on that role.

Edited for quote error

Edited by tskstorm

7 people, assuming none of them are related, is not a large enough genetic pool. You're going to have a large founders effect in subsequent generations which may kill them off.

As for who I would keep. It doesn't really matter based on their position in society. The farmer, for all we know, could be a dairy farmer and as such has no real knowledge about tending to crops, while the prostitute may in fact be an avid horticulturalist. The lawyer could be a tax lawyer, not exactly useful in a post apocalyptic society. The army captain may have been public affairs officer and as such doesn't have extensive training in tactics. The physician and med student, while they have knowledge that most others have, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be of value. Chances are if everything was destroyed, then there wouldn't be much in the way of medical equipment and pharmaceuticals laying around, so even if they could give a diagnosis they wouldn't be able to treat it.

As for who I would take with me, I don't know.

Probably the people who annoyed me the least. Not to mention the ones who would be less likely to stage a coup.

Edited by jonas salk

Capable of all of the above.

Well, the officer isn't going to be any better or worse than anyone else at creating or applying laws.

What if I told you the Army captain was an overweight 45 year old female captain of the latrine, and she's spent her entire career cleaning the latrines? still think she's capable of the enforcement ?

...and what if the officer is a clone of Farva from Super Troopers? We can play this game all day long.