Man refuses to pay EMS bill

Dustdevil

I think I need to look over my protocols. I had no idea that "collapsed lungs" was an indication for IO injections.

I think there was a brief time in the 1970s, when the EMT and Paramedic tests were written by people who in no way were either EMTs, Paramedics, any level of nurse, Physician's Assistant, Medical Doctor, or Doctor of Osteopathy. While the only thing I can do, as a BLS provider, is supplemental O2 for a suspected collapsed lung (diminished lung sounds with tracheal shift), I believe my Paramedics would first attempt a standard IV line before attempting an IO line. I admit I don't know if they are taught to do a chest needle decompression, with or without an OLMC "mother/father may I". On that last, I'll get back to all of you.

I believe my Paramedics would first attempt a standard IV line before attempting an IO line. I admit I don't know if they are taught to do a chest needle decompression, with or without an OLMC "mother/father may I". On that last, I'll get back to all of you.

I have yet to see an ALS (Intensive Care) level that has neither IV/IO or chest decompression so you're mostly correct there.

Starting an IO maybe when thier veins have "collapsed" and you can't get an IV line sound reasonable but man that guy just makes himself and his whole roundup look really bad like seriousy I am laughing my ass off .....

I admit I don't know if they are taught to do a chest needle decompression, with or without an OLMC "mother/father may I". On that last, I'll get back to all of you.

OK, I emailed a Paramedic from my station, and "Marky-mark", as we call him, says:

without online medical control's permission.. because tension pneumothorax is part of the PRIMARY SURVEY (airway/breathing) and its TREAT AS YOU GO..and must be treated ASAP, on the spot, and there is no time to call telemetry.. pt could be dead by the time telemetry contact is made..

Paramedics, unlike less-trained emergency medical technicians, are able to insert breathing tubes into patients and deliver intravenous medication.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are "able". Authorised might be a better choice of terms. Regardless, we have yet to see a study that suggests that makes any difference.

Incredible! Thanks for that. This is why I still find time to read the forums when I can.

Re "Ultimate Showdown": 1- Chuck Norris defeated by Mr. Rogers? Unlikely! 2- You probably just made Dusty's hit list for blasphemy! While nowhere as big a Norris fan as Dusty, even I know limitations!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.