Trying to help another Medic

I have a buddy that has shown a desire to come offshore, but has an old felony. It is Grand Theft Auto when he was 17. He has not been in any trouble since and has been an active State of Illinois paramedic for 4 years now. Will the Registry allow him to be become Registered?

If he was 17...I believe records of minors are sealed and unless they get a court order NR can't access it... I'm not 100% sure though.

In some states felonies such as Grand Theft Auto will be placed in the adult court which means it will be visible on your record.

I don't know how thorough IL is with their background checks for licensure, since this is still a weakness in EMS, so that may not be a good indication of what is showing up on a check. The NR is just one hurdle since potential employers will also do background checks. Your friend might consult with an attorney about expungement.

Edited by VentMedic

In some states felonies such as Grand Theft Auto will be placed in the adult court which means it will be visible on your record.

I don't know how thorough IL is with their background checks for licensure, since this is still a weakness in EMS, so that may not be a good indication of what is showing up on a check. The NR is just one hurdle since potential employers will also do background checks. Your friend might consult with an attorney about expungement.

Illinois used to have a very successful Prison EMT program. They even staffed a local service full time. It was a successful program that turned a lot of people's lives around and saved a lot of lives. I know a convicted Murderer that is now one of our areas most respected Paramedics. It is seems odd but works.

Illinois used to have a very successful Prison EMT program. They even staffed a local service full time. It was a successful program that turned a lot of people's lives around and saved a lot of lives. I know a convicted Murderer that is now one of our areas most respected Paramedics. It is seems odd but works.

And that is exactly why your friend needs to find out what is showing up on his record to see if expungement is an option. Not all states or employers will be as lenient as Illinois for having convicted felons working with valuable equipment, drugs and vulnerable patients. You can also look at California for examples of a state that failed miserably with who it or rather its counties allowed into the profession and the resulting blackeyes for the state's reputation. I suppose Florida also falls into that category as well.

Also, knowing one really good convicted murderer does not mean all murderers will have exceptionally good character. That does not justify allowing felons into EMS without some safeguards and scrutiny.

Edited by VentMedic

It's not that expensive to apply. He may just want to do so and see what happens. I doubt it will be an issue though, as long as it's not an issue for your employer.

Dwayne

It's not that expensive to apply. He may just want to do so and see what happens. I doubt it will be an issue though, as long as it's not an issue for your employer.

Dwayne

If he is applying for the NR, that probably means the offshore company may be registered in another state. Thus, he may have to deal with that state as well for licensure. The NR will scrutinize any application which has the "felony" box checked. However, depending on how long ago the friend was 17 and any other circumstances of the felony conviction, the NR probably won't deny if a full disclosure is made.

http://www.nremt.org/nremt/About/policy_felony.asp

And that is exactly why your friend needs to find out what is showing up on his record to see if expungement is an option. Not all states or employers will be as lenient as Illinois for having convicted felons working with valuable equipment, drugs and vulnerable patients. You can also look at California for examples of a state that failed miserably with who it or rather its counties allowed into the profession and the resulting blackeyes for the state's reputation. I suppose Florida also falls into that category as well.

Also, knowing one really good convicted murderer does not mean all murderers will have exceptionally good character. That does not justify allowing felons into EMS without some safeguards and scrutiny.

Oh trust me, it freaked me out. But it was a learning experience in many ways when I worked with the murderer.

Oh trust me, it freaked me out. But it was a learning experience in many ways when I worked with the murderer.

I have nothing against the program in Illinois as it was ran very well from what I have read about it. Several states also train inmates as FFs especially in areas prone to large fires such as California. I just hope these programs are very upfront with the prisoners that obtaining a paid professional job in health care or fire fighting after their release might be very unrealistic in some states.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.