Hello

studentM

Hi everyone.

I'm a third year midwifery student, and I'll be starting my EMS class on April 20th.

I've been through clinicals (prenatals, births, postpartums) for about a year now in the US. Prior to that, I spent a month at a maternity clinic in Africa last February, and I've also worked briefly in two hospitals in the Dominican Republic.

My goal is to work in rural third world settings (also disaster relief/displaced people) with women who have no labor support, so I'm hoping my EMS training will give me more confidence in emergency situations.

fam11.gif

Hi everyone.

I'm a third year midwifery student, and I'll be starting my EMS class on April 20th.

I've been through clinicals (prenatals, births, postpartums) for about a year now in the US. Prior to that, I spent a month at a maternity clinic in Africa last February, and I've also worked briefly in two hospitals in the Dominican Republic.

My goal is to work in rural third world settings (also disaster relief/displaced people) with women who have no labor support, so I'm hoping my EMS training will give me more confidence in emergency situations.

fam11.gif

Welcome!!

Nice to have a midwife aboard!!

... but just an fyi, people HERE need the same help :)

I want to complain about my UN food package, you call this relief; could at least have added some sort of sauce or something, where is Kofi when you need to complain to him? :D

Welcome.

Edited by kiwimedic

Welcome to the city and best of luck with what you are doing... but just an fyi, people HERE need the same help :)

No worries! Lots of my friends are amazingly capable midwives who're quite committed to staying put. wink.gif

What is your ultimate education goal, EMS-wise?

I don't know, to be honest.

I'm actually taking a semester off from school and clinicals in order to complete this course, and I don't think I could do intermediate and paramedic along with my other studies.

Edited by studentM

I don't know, to be honest.

I'm actually taking a semester off from school and clinicals in order to complete this course, and I don't think I could do intermediate and paramedic along with my other studies.

I assume you are taking an EMT-B course?

Not trying to start anything here, but for what you are looking for, you will be much better served going to advanced levels, if you are looking for a better EMS understanding. The EMT-B course is pretty close to the Boy Scout Handbook. (You might pick one of those up and take with you, seriously. Really good resource.)

Anyway, glad to have you aboard. I think maternity is one area where many EMS providers lack. Hopefully you can shed some light on some topics here as you learn as well.

I assume you are taking an EMT-B course?

Not trying to start anything here, but for what you are looking for, you will be much better served going to advanced levels, if you are looking for a better EMS understanding. The EMT-B course is pretty close to the Boy Scout Handbook. (You might pick one of those up and take with you, seriously. Really good resource.)

Anyway, glad to have you aboard. I think maternity is one area where many EMS providers lack. Hopefully you can shed some light on some topics here as you learn as well.

4 months and $1,500 for the Boy Scout Handbook, huh? Well, we'll see how it goes. blink.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.