Time Change and Reporting

tcripp

**Please move to appropriate forum if necessary***

As I mull around the house setting the clocks ahead one hour...I think about those who worked the overnight shift.

This rookie is interested in how you document your time when on a call that occurs at that magic 0200 hour when the time shifts.

Do you continue your reporting on the time you start? Do you actually try to be cognizant of the time change and report accordingly? Does it really matter?

What about those who sit close to a time zone and may have transports across that zone?

On any PCR, your 'official times' come directly from dispatch. On the days that the 'clocks move', a single line in the narrative portion of the PCR should suffice for any annomaly/discrepancy in the times on the report. The same should apply to crossing time zones.

• Like 1

So there is recognition of the time change. We'll have to see if my old brain can keep up with it. :D

Thanks!

In most cases (excluding those that continually cross time zones), the 'confusion' will only last for one call...

In most cases (excluding those that continually cross time zones), the 'confusion' will only last for one call...

Could be 2 calls for leaving DST. After all, you could be treating two different patients through the 2am hour.

I would continue documenting under the original time frame or it would appear that a call would take twice as long as it actually did. In that case, think of it like a stopwatch- elapsed time. If you happen to get 2 calls within that 0200 hour, I would make a notation about daylight savings time within the comments section of the PCR.

Could be 2 calls for leaving DST. After all, you could be treating two different patients through the 2am hour.

If you treat one patient before the time change, it doesn't count. Only the patient you treat during the time change will have the times affected.

In the event of 'falling back'; yes, you will have two PCR's that initially have the 0200 time stamp, but only one of them will have a 'time discrepency'. The other one will continue chronilogically.

• Like 1