First Responders & Helmets

This is my first post so I'll try my best to explain. I'm in high school and am a 40-hour first responder. Just recently I heard several teachers (who are also 40-hour FRs) discussing the topic of first responders wearing safety helmets at scenes. They were saying how "blue would be a good helmet color because none of the local FDs use blue". Now I'm unsure of what type of helmet they were discussing, but I agree with the idea of FRs wearing helmets at scenes. Granted, civilian first responders rarely see any action. In the past two years since I became certified, I've come upon nine total emergencies ranging from a sprained ankle to an MVA. But I live in a rural area and EMS response times can range from 5 to 35 minutes. Patient encounters can be lengthy. I can see the need to identify oneself as an EMS person at a scene such as an MVA. But these teachers aren't employed by the local EMS agency (which has never used helmets) and neither am I. And oddly enough, no protol exists for FRs in our area, so there is nothing that mentions civilian FRs and helmets. So what is your take on the issue of civilian FRs wearing helmets? Has anyone had the same issue?

Edited by engine173351

Even with 400+ medics and EMT's where I work and probably 5 times that in firefighters, I've never had an issue differentiating. And I don't have to look at the patches on shoulders ...

When on scenes where helmets are worn, at least here in NYC, Fire Fighters wear black helmets, Lieutenants and Captains wear helmets with white face pieces, and all levels of Chiefs wear white helmets with a lot of gold inlay. EMS EMTs and Paramedics wear orange helmets, and supervisors at Lieutenant and above wear white helmets. NYPD wears blue, but I am uncertain of their supervisor's colors being white.

Also, almost everyone wears shirts, coats or jackets that have patches on the backs indicating at minimum, their agency, with some showing level of training, and all FDNY members, both Fire Fighters and EMSers, have their names on the back in reflective lettering.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Doesn't seem overly necessary to be honest. Here in Kiwi the Fire Service helmets are yellow and Ambulance are white.

If you want to identify a person as an Ambo a reflective jacket is much easier. That's what we use.

I do like my glow worm jacket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.