EMS Lobbies To Take Over Fire Department

crotchitymedic1986

Thank God medicine doesn't rely on unions. biggrin.gif

I'm thinking that the cronyism, favoritism, lack of professional (not union) organization and shady discipline/punitive actions prevalent in EMS aren't problems in other medical fields. You do need more pensions and less 401k's though.

• Like 1

I'm thinking that the cronyism, favoritism, lack of professional (not union) organization and shady discipline/punitive actions prevalent in EMS aren't problems in other medical fields. You do need more pensions and less 401k's though.

That has to be one of the most naive comments I have ever seen in these forums.

If you truly feel those things don't happen in other fields, you are truly either willfully blind, or truly naive. EVERY organization has those things... EVERY profession has those that are willing to sleep with whoever, buy off whoever, bribe whoever, and do whatever it takes to get what is in the best interests of themselves over the profession.... oh yea - I am speaking to the person who decided to go fire department not for the passion of the work, but to cover their ass with benefits... what have you done to help EMS become more of a profession? And please... don't give me the "my service does...." line again... how are you personally improving EMS? Do you instruct? DO you mentor? Are you vocal about better pay and better working conditions for EMS? Do you do everything in your power to educate the public that EMS is a valid profession, and not just "ambulance drivers"?

You want to see cronyism, favoritism, and lack of professionalism? You ask a female who works in a male dominated field of any kind.... and I can say that, having been a commercial bank manager for 15 years.... I was the only female in my region in that senior a position, and even though I held a portfolio bigger than most, I wasn't paid as well, I didn't get the "perks" that others did, and I didn't get other promotion opportunities - why? because I wouldn't f*** my boss...

By your own words, you show your lack of experience in other fields, and your complete willingness to follow the lead of the lemmings who choose not to learn more... please.... educate yourself, not only in EMS, but in other fields, and you will learn that the comment you made above is an embarassment to your intelligence.

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, most physicians are either in practice groups (contract or otherwise) or pure private practice. Additionally, even with dwindling membership, the professional associations are pretty strong. After all, when your a partner, who are you going to organize against?

That has to be one of the most naive comments I have ever seen in these forums.

If you truly feel those things don't happen in other fields, you are truly either willfully blind, or truly naive. EVERY organization has those things... EVERY profession has those that are willing to sleep with whoever, buy off whoever, bribe whoever, and do whatever it takes to get what is in the best interests of themselves over the profession.... oh yea - I am speaking to the person who decided to go fire department not for the passion of the work, but to cover their ass with benefits... what have you done to help EMS become more of a profession? And please... don't give me the "my service does...." line again... how are you personally improving EMS? Do you instruct? DO you mentor? Are you vocal about better pay and better working conditions for EMS? Do you do everything in your power to educate the public that EMS is a valid profession, and not just "ambulance drivers"?

You want to see cronyism, favoritism, and lack of professionalism? You ask a female who works in a male dominated field of any kind.... and I can say that, having been a commercial bank manager for 15 years.... I was the only female in my region in that senior a position, and even though I held a portfolio bigger than most, I wasn't paid as well, I didn't get the "perks" that others did, and I didn't get other promotion opportunities - why? because I wouldn't f*** my boss...

By your own words, you show your lack of experience in other fields, and your complete willingness to follow the lead of the lemmings who choose not to learn more... please.... educate yourself, not only in EMS, but in other fields, and you will learn that the comment you made above is an embarassment to your intelligence.

I never said that I don't devote myself to my work. I have enjoyed EMS work from the start; I was doing it for five years before I went fire, and would still be doing so without fire if single role agencies gave me what I have here. I always had an interest in fire as well, but I didn't get hired by the FDNY. There are quite a few FF's in NY who do nursing and EMS on the side. I could have backdoored my way in via the EMS promo exam, but I didn't want to do that. I also decided early on that I didn't want to remain in NY for the long term.

So, I learned of the firemedic job type from those in my EMS dept that went down south before me. It sounded too good to be true. So I signed up. I could do fire and EMS at the same time. If I didn't like suppression, then I would stay on the EMS side and go down that career track. But it happens that I like fire very much. The job is a good fit. I strive to do well in both disciplines. I love going to work. It's a blast. Waking up on a work morning is a happy event for me. It would be easy for you to believe that I'm only in it for the money, but it just isn't true. I decided what I wanted to do with my life, then I found the best place in which to do it from an economic standpoint. I refused to believe the pessimists that say "you can't get rich doing EMS". Maybe I won't be rich, but my family and I are sure to be quite comfortable.

I was vocal about working conditions and better pay for EMS at one time. I saw it was a losing proposition and went to the fire side. I have a family to take care of. I would naturally go with the safe, secure job, loaded with great pay and benefits. I don't understand why that's wrong. Currently, I'm completing my EMS AAS, as are all incumbents in the dept that wish to go ALS. That's more than most places are doing. Pulse and a patch for ALS upgrades for single role and fire based depts alike. I work with medic students and ALS interns all the time at my stations. EMS LT's are the official mentors for the interns and students, though. That's at least another four years away for me. I'd like to be an EMS instructor at the fire rescue academy, but some spots need to open up. I've spread the word at my IFT side job that you can use your P-card to get a degree, as it gives you 37 credits. Not much more I can do. I go to the occasional union meeting, but I'm too busy to lobby, campaign and such. I'm raising a family that I like to be home for, I'm taking classes, and working OT to afford the best home we can when we buy next year. These things take priority.

Heh...I hear you brother...

I guess we agree on something for a change. It is time we give up battling that battle and just battle the services whether fire, third, private, etc that suc. If a service provides quality patient care regardless of what type of service they should be commended. If they suc they should be forced to improve or quit.

Crotchity, remember what I said about not being an amateur? Look at this link:

http://www.fireserviceems.com/index.php

Now, I'm being sincere, this is one of the many things EMS needs to do to rally against FD takeovers. I'm sure you can find plenty of BS and half-truths in the videos and downloads. EMS ought to be putting out it's own media to oppose the fire service's views. Any EMS response to fire takeovers has been after the fact, typically right before the takeover, when the writing is already on the wall. This is calculated by the FD, think about it. There's little time to organize an effective resistance effort. Even if you work for a good third service agency, history has shown that it can be taken over at any time, typically with little advance warning. Be more proactive in advocating seperate EMS. I've heard much about the shortcomings of various depts and of takeovers under false pretenses. Why isn't anyone composing media and organizing campaigns to educate the public about these issues? Just calling your legislators or writing letters isn't going to do jack. I keep preaching of organization (with or without unions if you want, although unions will get a more effective response IMO) to enable you to reach your goals.

Many on these forums form very well thought out arguments against fire based EMS. But they are doing nothing sitting on an anonymous internet forum. why is no one taking these things public, through the media and such? Contact your local reporters and TV stations if you have a problem dept you know of. Document witnessed incidents and bring it to them. Let the reporters do an expose or something. Start there. I want to hear less internet bashing of FBEMS and more articles of EMS going to the media in opposition to FBEMS, where it actually counts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.