EMT-P as a career

Rocky9

Yeah I think this is definitely true. It really only takes one good call to make 40 or 80+ hours of nonsense completely worth it for me. This stresses me out though, especially as I gain experience and the standard for what makes a "good call" keeps going up and up. The people I know who are happiest in EMS have a really impressive way of finding interest in even their mundane calls: be it a idiosyncrasy with scene management or a conversation with a patient, they are able to make themselves happy with the call volume as it is. Peter Canning (author/blog writer/paramedic, and one of the happiest long-time medics I know) is a master at this.

I personally haven't been able to master that skill, and unfortunately I think that really puts me along with the majority of my coworkers.

I've only been in for a little over 4 years now, but this is what I take comfort in as I further my career ...

I know that I will never have seen it all and still have a lot to see. Sure the requirements of a "good call" are always going up, but there is always something else to see. Sometimes it's hard to find something interesting or funny about a call that's really pissed you off. I enjoy talking to most co-workers because I know they've probably done it too, and at least we can laugh about how pissed off we were (usually). Very important to find an outlet for stress. Sure we know a lot of us have a drink or two after work, but this can't be the only thing. I took up skydiving and find myself totally de-stressed after a day or two of jumping. The money I make doing what I do allows me to do the fun things I like to do.

I like a lot about where I work now, but I hate a lot too. Can't please everyone! I really enjoy most of my co-workers, which makes a HUGE difference. Dunno what else to say.

Dude,

I am in paramedic school and this is no picnic. I can't tell you how much no one bothers to tell except "as you are going along" and when you are doing your clinicals, .... everyone seems to be an expert on what you are doing wrong all the time, especially when it makes them look smarter or gives them an easy target to vent their own frustrations on -- and this is the NON-EMS folks. I haven't done clinicals outside of the ER yet and I can only imagine how much worse it could possibly be when there is more to worry about than doing an IV without being treated like a retard because you are having trouble getting it right.

I am doing this because I feel like I am supposed to be here and I am coming by way of a completely separate career path with no intention of going into nursing or med school or any pre-existing affiliations with a firehouse. If I were you, I would sign up as a volunteer at a firehouse first and see how it goes. Most of these guys seem miserable because along with the pressures and demands of the job (how much time can a person spend up to their shoulders in drunks, ghetto life and Darwin-esque stupidity and NOT wonder why you didn't choose a different career path) - they have the added poison of grown men whose sole purpose in life is gossiping like little girls for no better reason than to keep the stew pot of horse dung around them swirling at all times. You know these guys and they all seem to be in a majority around fire and EMS work. Go volunteer before committing time, money and your peace of mind to this line of work.

There's a reason you have to love this job to do it. Trust me. I am not half way through school and I am already wondering what the hell I was thinking when I thought this was a healthy professional culture to be involved in.

• Like 1

...I really enjoy most of my co-workers, which makes a HUGE difference. Dunno what else to say.

Yeah, if I stay long term it would be because of the work environment. There is a large percentage of medic/basic teams that can be a drain to your mental/emotional energy, but the rest, in my experience, tend to be smart, kind, hilariously funny, intelligent, competent, curious, team players. And they seem to find joy in helping those around them be the same. I find spending my days with, and attempting to be like, these types of people is great for my heart and head, as well as my spirit.

Management? Nah, if I choose to take a path that continues in EMS it will be because I love these folks. If I choose to take a path with more responsibility and/or pay, then I'll move on to something more lucrative.

I'm not the best person to take this advice from. I was exhausted with two years of medic school plus work, reexhausted in Afg, so now I'm just kind of hanging out thinking "Holy shit...I get to run interesting calls, make ok money, spend my days with my family and my nights with interesting/mentally challenging people, are you kidding me?? Did I win the friggin' lotto?" I'm kind of coasting...My thoughts may be completely different after I recharge for a bit...

Dwayne

• Like 1

I am not half way through school and I am already wondering what the hell I was thinking when I thought this was a healthy professional culture to be involved in.

LOL! You should have come to this forum BEFORE starting school. We sure would have let you know of the disappointment you were in for. It's no big secret. You just won't get any of the schools to tell you the truth about it. All they do is feed you those stupid DOL reports about all the wonderful job prospects that are supposed to exist in EMS, which is a big lie.

That said, I would say that probably 99 percent of us came into EMS with a completely mistaken understanding of what it was all about, and what we were in for. Those of us who were determined to do so, overcame the odds and somehow carved a mediocre career out of it, so it can be done. But if you now have, or intend to have a family in the next twenty years, I'd say RUN while you can. This is no profession for anyone with family responsibilities.

There's a reason you have to love this job to do it. Trust me. I am not half way through school and I am already wondering what the hell I was thinking when I thought this was a healthy professional culture to be involved in.

Stick with it. School seems like it takes a lifetime but it doesn't last forever ...

Yeah, if I stay long term it would be because of the work environment. There is a large percentage of medic/basic teams that can be a drain to your mental/emotional energy, but the rest, in my experience, tend to be smart, kind, hilariously funny, intelligent, competent, curious, team players. And they seem to find joy in helping those around them be the same. I find spending my days with, and attempting to be like, these types of people is great for my heart and head, as well as my spirit.

Management? Nah, if I choose to take a path that continues in EMS it will be because I love these folks. If I choose to take a path with more responsibility and/or pay, then I'll move on to something more lucrative.

I'm not the best person to take this advice from. I was exhausted with two years of medic school plus work, reexhausted in Afg, so now I'm just kind of hanging out thinking "Holy shit...I get to run interesting calls, make ok money, spend my days with my family and my nights with interesting/mentally challenging people, are you kidding me?? Did I win the friggin' lotto?" I'm kind of coasting...My thoughts may be completely different after I recharge for a bit...

Dwayne

After over a month of practicum and work with no days off since January 25 asides from the one sick day I took on February 9 to study for an exam the next day (ask emtannie about that), I'm really just trying to maintain a positive attitude.

Recharging is totally the right idea, and I have already made plans for that starting May 4th with a (only) week long trip to southern California. School is a complete bitch, however it is a means to an end and as I previously said, I fully intend to travel and work. As the "stubborn type A don't stop until I got what I want" kind of girl, I'll be seeing that through to the end.

After school is all done and the final level of EMS is reached, I've seen dozens of my friends and co-workers do just that ... "Holy crap, what do I do now?" and just sit back and take it easy (whatever easy is for you). I may have underestimated school just a tad, but I have a healthy respect for what it will be allowing me to do within a few years.

Edited by Siffaliss

...I may have underestimated school just a tad, but I have a healthy respect for what it will be allowing me to do within a few years.

Yeah, right?? Aren't you amazed by the folks that say, "Paramedic school was the best time of my life!" Are you friggin' kidding me?

Maybe if I hadn't had to work, and didn't worry so much about my grades I would have had a great time, but I did, and I didn't. When trying to finish my medic degree the chair the of EMS dept. kept saying, "It's only one more season, OK? You can make it one more season." At times I went strictly by her word, and those of Dust, Ak, and others, because I couldn't bring myself to believe it..And then one day it's all gone. You wake up and have no more classes, no more trips to the hospital, no more clinicals...it's strange as hell.

And for some of us, it truly is worth it. I really dig my life right now...I'm having fun, hanging out with great people and getting paid. I go home safe and relaxed to my family...Life is good.

When it's time to go to So Cal see if you can drag Annie and we'll try for a meet up?? I was just mentioning to her the other night that a meet in CO might not go wrong once it starts to get a little warmer.

You are about the most stubborn chick I've ever met, so I know you'll do awesome throughout school...but stubborn still needs down time, so don't forget to rest when you can...

Dwayne

Edited for format change. I seem to be format challenged of late. No contextual changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP
  • Like 1

Yeah, right?? Aren't you amazed by the folks that say, "Paramedic school was the best time of my life!" Are you friggin' kidding me?

Maybe if I hadn't had to work, and didn't worry so much about my grades I would have had a great time, but I did, and I didn't.

I'm on my first ambo practicum right now and still work full time. I took a sick day last month to study for an exam, won't actually have a day off until about the first week of April. Sometimes I think snuggling with a cheese grater would be more fun.

And for some of us, it truly is worth it. I really dig my life right now...I'm having fun, hanging out with great people and getting paid. I go home safe and relaxed to my family...Life is good.

I'm waiting for that ...

When it's time to go to So Cal see if you can drag Annie and we'll try for a meet up?? I was just mentioning to her the other night that a meet in CO might not go wrong once it starts to get a little warmer.

Can do. I'm travelling between May 4-10, will be in the Perris Valley area.

You are about the most stubborn chick I've ever met, so I know you'll do awesome throughout school...but stubborn still needs down time, so don't forget to rest when you can...

Haha! +1 for honesty ... and accuracy.

Some valid points are made. I am a paramedic, working for a private service for 19 years, but a total of 25 years in EMS. I have worked for municipal agencies, privates, even volunteer. Yes, there are times the burn out factor takes over, but overall, I still love my job. The money is ok, good benefits, good retirement. I think too many medics seem to lose sight of the fact that we are here to take care of people. Wether they are 8 or 80, in a car wreck or going to dialysis, they are all people who need our care. I have started to branch out into disaster management, not because I don't love the job, but because I know that I'm only one bad patient lift from being side-lined with a back injury. That's my biggest complaint about this job. The lack of advancement. I've had the chance to move into an office job, but the cut in hours did not make up for the pay increase. Overall, I'm happy with my career choice. It has provided me with a good life.

• Like 2

I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!

Twenty years on the job Municiple EMS.... 16 as a Paramedic.

I have advanced myself to EMS Instructor, ACLS/PALS/ATLS Instructor

Have been an EMS Battalion Chief for 7 years now.

I can retire if I want but I'm only 39 so I can keep going.

I have thought about RN but I like working outside

• Like 1

I have thought about RN but I like working outside

My office is my entire city. I can be outside on a warm, summer day and not stuck in the same place all the time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.