Shopping With The Apparatus Nonsense

46Young

211_woolies.jpg

You kiwi guys call woollies by the right name, unlike this safeway crap!

Actually, a few months ago someone at work noticed on google earth that on the street level in front of woolies, is one of our trucks!

I actually don't care about these guys buying lunch while on duty, provided they are available when requested, however

This is completely retarded

To be fair, the FFs near where I used to live do something like that all the time- the closest supermarket is outside their district/ie the town line by about a quarter mile, if that. They don't even have to make a turn. The closest firefighters from the town the market is in are actually further away from the market than the out of town guys are, by over a mile I'd say. And they shop there just as often.

If I remember from another forum, the store in the Boston incident is 0.9 miles from their station, and less than that from the city line (ie the edge of their district).

They can eat but why can't they bring their food with them? Many non fire jobs do not allow you to leave the plant or the premises so you bring food or go hungry. And yes it still counts as a lunch break and they get no pay while sitting in company property, yet these fire fighters are being paid while using tax payer property to go do shopping. How is that fair?

Next thing you know someone will say they should be allowed to do whatever they want because they rush into the flames to save life and property or some other idiotic hero complex statement.

At least the reporter is a professional. I also respect that he is brave enough to take on one of the largest mob ran groups in the world that is the IAFF.

Spen, normally you have some good thinking points. This is not one of them.

How many "normal: jobs work 24 hour shifts? You are asking these guys to bring the stock of a kitchen into work with them every 3rd day?

What if this was a 3rd service EMS, with no set station, caught at McDonalds between calls, 6 blocks from their post?

Not making the fire/ems argument, God knows thats been hashed out enough, I just would like to hear your response.

This is completely retarded

Bushy, I researched this when the story broke, the store they go to is just a couple of blocks outside the city limits, but about 1/4 the distance to the closest store in town.

Bushy, I researched this when the story broke, the store they go to is just a couple of blocks outside the city limits, but about 1/4 the distance to the closest store in town.

Admittedly it did not occur to me that the distance would be that short, even in a metropolitan environment

My bad...

Admittedly it did not occur to me that the distance would be that short, even in a metropolitan environment

My bad...

With no knowlege of Austailian geography, in some of the bigger cities here in the states, you can travel 3 miles on the same road and cross though 5 or 6 cities.

In Indianapolis there are even whole cities surrounded by the city of Indianapolis itself. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway (home of the Indy 500) is a prime example. It is located in the town of Speedway, which is completely surrounded by the city of Indianapolis, but still its own governing body..

With no knowlege of Austailian geography, in some of the bigger cities here in the states, you can travel 3 miles on the same road and cross though 5 or 6 cities.

In Indianapolis there are even whole cities surrounded by the city of Indianapolis itself. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway (home of the Indy 500) is a prime example. It is located in the town of Speedway, which is completely surrounded by the city of Indianapolis, but still its own governing body..

Southern California (especially Orange County) is a great example of this. For example, I come from a "small" town of just 9 sq. miles. That's 9 sq. miles of 60k people in a county of 3 million, and that city is surrounded by several cities of 100k+ where the only way you know you left one city and entered another is a sign in the middle of the road, or in some cases, the road changes names (I know one road with 4 different names depending on what city you're in and you can drive on all 4 segments in less than 20 minutes. Technically 5 if you want to drive another 20 minutes, but the road layout get's a little funky in that area).

Its the same here, Melbourne is 3.9 million people and 3400 square miles has multiple local governments like your speedway example, but it is collectivley known as Melbourne and is covered by 1 fire department, that being Metro Fire Brigades. For a metro fire truck to be outside of Melbourne, it would be a long way away from where it is supposed to be.

Our Firefighters work 12 hour shifts; perhaps if the American systems did not work 24 or 48 hours this would not be a problem!

Doesn't matter if they work 4's 8's 12's ... . 96's.

They treat the station as their house. They pool money together to go grocery shopping to get food to prepare meals for the entire house. The fact they bring the "rig" with them should be leaving passerby's feeling secured and reminded of their presence in the area.

Yea they spent some "city" money on gas etc.. but that type of miscellaneous use should be budgeted for.

Many non fire jobs do not allow you to leave the plant or the premises so you bring food or go hungry. And yes it still counts as a lunch break and they get no pay while sitting in company property

Right but even being retained to the property they do get a break where they are not working right ? Fire nor EMS here get a break where they can not receive an assignment.

Every job has advantages/disadvantages.

***Side note: Personal Pet peeve, we post on a street corner sometimes these corners are all residential, nothing more annoying then someone coming out of their home to tell us to shut the engine off when its 100degrees out or 20 degrees out. Why don't people appreciate the fact if they need an ambulance they have one within seconds!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.