Scanner!

SOCMOB

OK I've Learrrrrrned something today.

No. 1., with the exception of one person, apparently you guys'n'gals really hate scanners. Good to know, I guess.

I admit, I lack class (pass the Fritos). I don't even have the class to join the QCWA although I just recently qualified, yep the Quarter Century Wireless Association, basically it's for those who remember sweatin' out the FCC test AT the FCC field office, complete with code. What some consider fast code, yep extra class now you send in 3 box tops and Tony The Tiger sends you the ticket. When all's said and done I'd rather go out and do stuff than hide in a radio room, but a longterm interest in radio is hard to kill. Blah blah blah who cares basically while I've made my share of contacts I find the listening more interesting. I like knowing what goes on around my town! So, the plan is, this scanner and a decent communications reciever, I've had and enjoyed the Eton E5 but am actually considering the Grundig Satellit 750 the next bolus of money I come across. I just want to be able to listen, across the spectrum.

I was not asking anyone's permission to get a scanner, I was wondering how many listen to 'em here and find 'em interesting, maybe trying to see if there was a subset of scanner types in the crowd here. I guess I found one, which is neat, I even gave 'em a positive point. The rest here seem to be entranced with their own ability to fling mud, thank you very much.

Have fun. Bye.

• Like 4

No. 1., with the exception of one person, apparently you guys'n'gals really hate scanners. Good to know, I guess.

I admit, I lack class (pass the Fritos). I don't even have the class to join the QCWA although I just recently qualified, yep the Quarter Century Wireless Association, basically it's for those who remember sweatin' out the FCC test AT the FCC field office, complete with code. What some consider fast code, yep extra class now you send in 3 box tops and Tony The Tiger sends you the ticket. When all's said and done I'd rather go out and do stuff than hide in a radio room, but a longterm interest in radio is hard to kill. Blah blah blah who cares basically while I've made my share of contacts I find the listening more interesting. I like knowing what goes on around my town! So, the plan is, this scanner and a decent communications reciever, I've had and enjoyed the Eton E5 but am actually considering the Grundig Satellit 750 the next bolus of money I come across. I just want to be able to listen, across the spectrum.

I was not asking anyone's permission to get a scanner, I was wondering how many listen to 'em here and find 'em interesting, maybe trying to see if there was a subset of scanner types in the crowd here. I guess I found one, which is neat, I even gave 'em a positive point. The rest here seem to be entranced with their own ability to fling mud, thank you very much.

Have fun. Bye.

I admit that I was fascinated by scanners and the radio traffic when I first started in this field. I ended up buying a scanner and found it invaluable when I was learning how to talk on the radio including how to give better radio reports to the hospitals. I also used it when I would hear the police helicopter over my area or even now if I think I have heard gunshots nearby I will turn it on to see what is happening. I have had the SWAT team in my backyard and was able to hear what was going on and that they had caught the subject. I then informed my very worried neighbour of that fact and reassured her.

To each his own interests. No harm in it unless you start running out to looky-loo at calls or interfere with them. It is good to be mindful that other people are listening to what we say as it helps keep us professional and aware of what we are saying. Occasionally I will turn it on at work (not often anymore) as it gives us a heads up that we might be getting a call and you can get in a bathroom visit before we are activated or grab a snack bar, etc.

Cheers all.

Have fun. Bye.

A vast majority of people on this site have more than a day of experience in the field, some for probably longer than I've been alive. When you've been in it for just long enough to know that bringing work home with you isn't healthy, why would someone bring work home with them?

There's a website that broadcasts all radio transmissions where I work. How that's entirely legal, I don't know. I don't really care much either. I for one do not have a life right now, as work and practicum are taking up literally ALL of my time. The few precious hours away from work and radios that I do have, would certainly not be spending listening to work and radios.

Most who post here are actually pretty nice but if you can't get used to the A-type personality that is 98% of EMS, then perhaps you should find a different industry. There was feedback posted, you just didn't like most of it and chose to act like a twit. Have fun with your little scanner :)

SOCMOB- if you are truly interested in the world of EMS, fire, or law enforcement, then listening to a scanner is NOT the way to learn about it. Find a ride along programs and actually SEE for yourself what this business is all about. A radio call- especially in today's world- other than hearing the basics of a call- little can be learned about what public safety is all about. Privacy issues now keep much of radio traffic pretty mundane, and minimal information is actually sent out over the air.

Dispatching is another entity all together.

Warning- generalization alert:

Nearly every dispatcher I know around here is a frustrated fire/EMS/POLICE fan. For some reason they cannot or will not take the steps needed to follow through to become a firefighter, EMT, or a cop. Physical disability, psychological issues, cannot pass an entrance exam, cannot accumulate the needed education, or cannot pass the physical agility test- whatever. I am NOT saying that many dispatchers are highly skilled in what they do, but it's a different breed. In some areas, dispatching is a tool used for field personnel that are either temporarily or permanently unable to do their jobs- a light duty. Around here, that is simply not an option- they are a different group altogether.

Dispatchers now have training specifically designed to suit their jobs, but it's also not always available everywhere.

Years ago I dispatched for the private company I worked for to make a couple extra bucks and fill in when needed. I found it frustrating to try to figure out what the problem was over the phone, what resources were needed, and prioritize the calls. This was also in the days before dispatch triage protocols, computers, or GPS so you relied on your medical training, education, experience and intuition(yeah, I'm old). You had no other choice. A good dispatcher is worth their weight in gold- it's a tough job, but it's also very different than actually providing the service. It's a different mindset, and a different skill.

As for scanners, in many areas people are "on call" and volunteers and the scanners are vital to them. For some it's a hobby they have had long before they got in this business. Simply listening to others misfortunes is creepy to me, but different strokes, I guess.

Edited by HERBIE1
  • Like 1

Warning- generalization alert:

Nearly every dispatcher I know around here is a frustrated fire/EMS/POLICE fan. For some reason they cannot or will not take the steps needed to follow through to become a firefighter, EMT, or a cop. Physical disability, psychological issues, cannot pass an entrance exam, cannot accumulate the needed education, or cannot pass the physical agility test- whatever. I am NOT saying that many dispatchers are highly skilled in what they do, but it's a different breed. In some areas, dispatching is a tool used for field personnel that are either temporarily or permanently unable to do their jobs- a light duty. Around here, that is simply not an option- they are a different group altogether.

Dispatchers now have training specifically designed to suit their jobs, but it's also not always available everywhere.

I am glad you put that in as a generalization. FDNY EMS Command EMD call takers and dispatchers are all EMTs, and some Paramedics, and some are on "light duty", as you stated.

However, prior to the FDNY/EMS merger, I was assigned to EMS Communications Bureau, the EMD's predecessor, as one of 25 from the 52 who survived my EMS Academy. Yes, we were fresh from the academy, and put into Communications. At least 4 of them remain in EMD, almost 25 years later (one requested EMD, he's happily dispatching for almost all that time).

As for scanners, in many areas people are "on call" and volunteers and the scanners are vital to them. For some it's a hobby they have had long before they got in this business. Simply listening to others misfortunes is creepy to me, but different strokes, I guess.

In some areas, as shown by all the frequencies I mentioned in a previous posting on this string, the different agencies operate on widely different frequencies. There actually was a time that the municipal EMS had scanners mounted in the ambulances, so they'd have a clue what the NYPD and/or FDNY were doing, and could start heading in the direction of action, prior to actually being assigned. Someone in the hierarchy later decided against it, and the next generation of new ambulances didn't have scanners mounted in them, and older ones had them removed.

I just remembered an old string, concerning scanners and radios, which some of us might recall. Heck, I posted enough on that string, too!

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/1547-dumbest-thing-ever-heard-on-the-radioscanner/page__hl__scanner

What I've seen in my years in the Fire service and EMS (27 years combined service), I've noted a peculiar 'trend' with those 'bitten by the scanner bug).

They start off out of 'curiosity'; (I hear a siren, I wonder what's going on! I hear a chopper nearby, I wonder if it's the police air unit.)

From there it progresses to "Hey! That's near by, let's go see what we can see!" "I know I'm off duty, but maybe I can help!"

The typical 'scanner junkie' starts off by being a curious citizen and becomes, more often than not, a 'light chaser'.

Those of us that have been 'in the field' for any serious length of time realize that 'scanner junkies' are nothing more than a major pain in the ass.

Giving a good 'radio report' comes from repetition, and being comfortable in their education and their assessement skills (in order to 'paint a complete picture' to the recieving facility). By going out and buying some monster scanner that can monitor 100 or more channels only shows that you're on the path to become a 'Ricky Rescue, Junior Coder' type person.

Yes, there ARE 'bona fide reasons' for having them, but for the most part, having them in the car is illegal, as in most states it's illegal to monitor police frequencies while mobile.

What I'm finding interesting is that the OP asked for input, and when they didn't get the responses to support their decision to go out and buy that 'monster scanner', they resorted to giving demerits to each poster that spoke out against scanners and supporting the 'scanner junkie' mentality.

I am glad you put that in as a generalization. FDNY EMS Command EMD call takers and dispatchers are all EMTs, and some Paramedics, and some are on "light duty", as you stated.

However, prior to the FDNY/EMS merger, I was assigned to EMS Communications Bureau, the EMD's predecessor, as one of 25 from the 52 who survived my EMS Academy. Yes, we were fresh from the academy, and put into Communications. At least 4 of them remain in EMD, almost 25 years later (one requested EMD, he's happily dispatching for almost all that time).

In some areas, as shown by all the frequencies I mentioned in a previous posting on this string, the different agencies operate on widely different frequencies. There actually was a time that the municipal EMS had scanners mounted in the ambulances, so they'd have a clue what the NYPD and/or FDNY were doing, and could start heading in the direction of action, prior to actually being assigned. Someone in the hierarchy later decided against it, and the next generation of new ambulances didn't have scanners mounted in them, and older ones had them removed.

I just remembered an old string, concerning scanners and radios, which some of us might recall. Heck, I posted enough on that string, too!

http://www.emtcity.c...ge__hl__scanner

Like I said, here dispatch is a separate entity, with their own separate union, thus they are NOT sworn members or even employed by police or fire. WIthin the last 10 years or so, they are trained as EMTB's, which means they took a class that most of them did not give a damn about. (You should have heard the outrage when that edict came down. LOL) sThe only reason they are OK with this requirement is that they are able to get OT when they attend Con Ed classes for their licenses. I know of no dispatcher here with an EMT license who works in the field as a provider or in any other capacity that utilizes that skill set.

I can certainly understand the need for scanners for the reasons outlined. Additionally, in a mutual aid sitiuation, a scanner is a must when the different agencies operate on different radio frequencies.

To the OP, it appeared the poster simply wanted to be a fan, with no real "need" to know what is going on. I know people who even listen to radio conversations between units and medical control. That is creepy, serves no real purpose, and is probably illegal.

OK, I'll bite

I have three scanners.

One in my room that if I hear a siren I can turn it on.

ONe in the living room/kitchen that I have on only if we are under severe weather. Funny how often I hear about funnel clouds in my area before the television news or weather radio puts it out.

The third scanner is in my home office and it's always on to my counties frequencies.

I also take that 3rd scanner with me when I travel. Fun to hear the other services traffic and know that our service is no more professional/unprofessional than any other.

So I like listening to the scanner.

To the OP, it appeared the poster simply wanted to be a fan, with no real "need" to know what is going on. I know people who even listen to radio conversations between units and medical control. That is creepy, serves no real purpose, and is probably illegal.

You'd be surprized how many times I've had friends/acquaintences that are 'scanner junkies' come up to me and say something along the lines of, "I heard you on the scanner last night, what was going on?"

While the FCC says that you can listen to what's being transmitted over the 'free airwaves', there are certain frequencies that are 'off limits', and certain conditions have to be met in order to listen to others (such as not monitoring police channels while mobile).

When the move to the 800MHz started, you should have heard all the 'scanner junkies' throwing a fit, because they couldn't get their 'scanner fix'!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.