Scanner!

SOCMOB

OK the scanner bug is bitin' again ..... what do you all think of the idea of using a scanner radio to listen in on stuff going on around your area? I have several fire stations, cops, sheriffs, a hospital nearby, plus talkative hams and probably locals on CB.

I'm wondering, does it make sense to get a scanner radio to listen in on stuff to get an idea of what's going on, what kind of calls, radio procedure, etc? How many of you have scanners?

• Like 2

I use one b/c our radio transmission system is horrible, lots of dead spots, and I live in one. It's a system that was poorly planned and is known for failure. So, the scanner gives me the added advantage that I don't get with a home alert device. A big antenna.

But I only "scan" our own dispatch and tactical frequencies. I don't care what everyone else has going on, if they wanted me to know, they'd call for help.

Edited by 4c6

The rest of us have a life.

Hey! I resemble that remark!!

OK fine then, I'm gonna go out and get a scanner today, maybe there will be a sale since it's President's Day in the US, and I'll even let y'all listen to it if you wanna come over. If you can get past the geese.

• Like 2

Perhaps you could articulate why you want to listen in on the local police, fire, and EMS radio traffic. When you are not at work, what benefits do you think you will gain from this activity? I do not see how it is beneficial to know that an ambulance is going to 2303 K street for a shortness of breath and chest pain when you are not actually at work?

You asked if it made sense to buy your own scanner to listen in and people have responded by basically saying no. You are going to have to present a compelling case to sway our opinion.

Take care,

chbare.

EDIT: Redundant post?

Edited by chbare
  • Like 3

Hey chbare, you double posted! Oops on you (an admitted rarity).

SOCMOB, for the record, I am a Registered Monitoring Station/Short Wave Listener (SWL), "callsign" KNY2SC. Anyone asks why I listen to a scanner, it is a multitude of reasons, with me being a "nosy bastit" leading the reasons.

I listen while driving, so if the roadway I am on is blocked by an incident, I can reroute before getting caught in the traffic jam. I'll hear it there, before hearing the news station's traffic report. As I carry some basic equipmentin my POV, if I end up on the scene prior to the on duty troops, I can start rendering aid (see multiple strings on the pro's and con's of this practice, but I started as a Volunteer EMT). I might listen to other agencies, just to keep myself aware what they are doing, even if I know I won't be called to their scene to assist.

Are you aware that the NYPD has over 100 frequencies, and these are just the ones listed? FDNY EMS Command has at least 2, and in some cases, 3, frequencies per each of our 5 boroughs, plus "Citywide", and some non emergent, frequencies. Add another 6, possibly more, for the FDNY engine and truck companies.

New York City is at the juncture of New York State, New Jersey, and Connecticut. There's a bunch of PD, FD, and EMS crews always on the air, for those who choose to listen in. Not only that, we have John F. Kennedy, LaGuardia, and Newark-Liberty International Airports, either within the city, or close by. Add Maritime radio, the FBI, US Coast Guard, Secret Service, and the occasional (non-photo op) flyby of Air Force One.

Add CB radio (there's still a few of us left), Family Radio Service/General Mobile Radio Service, Multiple Use Radio Service, and soon, I have almost filled my 1,000 channel scanners.

I'll mention, as we in the "tri-state" area are bracing for the third heavy snowfall in 10 days, that I sometimes listen to the sanitation crews, as they activate the "Snow Desk", keeping track of the trucks plowing and removing the snow on our 300 something miles of street.

Oops, after that last, I must mention the US Weather Service, too.

I have to mention, check your local, county, and state laws on the subject of having a scanner in a vehicle. Here in New York State, unless you're an On-Duty LEO, or have a "permit" from the local LEOs Commissioner, you're not supposed to have a scanner in a vehicle, even a portable unit sitting on the seat, unpowered by the vehicle.

Now, I'll toot my own horn: I have been published numerous times in the "Popular Communications" magazine's "Letters to the Editor" section, as well as one time in "National communications" (and you thought I only have appeared in JEMS, EMS Magazine, Queens Newsday, Popular Science, "Dear Abby", "Dear Anne Landers", and some on line board called "EMT City"?).

• Like 1

Oh no you guys want actual articulation. Well, first is learning, I admit being curious how many of what kind of calls are happening in my area and learning (by osmosis perhaps) some radio protocol. Second, it's not impossible that I could end up being a dispatcher, if I work on my Spanish. It's a useful job too. Thirdly, yeah, entertainment, nosiness, call it what you will.

The scanner I got is about to be set up here at home, nope no plans to use one in a vehicle although that's legal in this state.

I may end up tired of listening to the radio once I'm working as an EMT (or dispatch) sure, but for now, I think listening might be fun. I once worked at a Baskin-Robbins, ice cream became very mundane for me. But before that job, it had a definite "oh wow" factor.

Besides, I've gotten a real laugh out of listening on non-scanner radios to various things, tow truck drivers, water company people, etc. It's not nearly as bad as watching TV.

Got a Uniden BCT898T and picked up some wire and BNC's to make antennas with. Yay now I get to learn how to program a scanner.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.