Help Please

sacemt

Ok so i Just got my county Certification In california,Sacramento to be more Specific, And im 19 Years old and i really would love to start working I Have had a job sense i was 16(this job is not in the healthcare field) consistantly hard worker, Ive applied to every ambulance company in Sacramento approx. 6 but there are a few i ignored and some i applied to even though they said the same thing as the others..... must be 21 or older.... now this really is a downer to me, and none have called back or when i call just tell me the will get back to me theres nothing more i want to do then get on an ambulance and start working and helping people, but well voluntering is not an option for me, almost no agency accept volunteers and also i have to work to live i dont have parents. Please any assistance,tips ,advice, help on this would be amazing thank you.

Ok so i Just got my county Certification In california,Sacramento to be more Specific, And im 19 Years old and i really would love to start working I Have had a job sense i was 16(this job is not in the healthcare field) consistantly hard worker, Ive applied to every ambulance company in Sacramento approx. 6 but there are a few i ignored and some i applied to even though they said the same thing as the others..... must be 21 or older.... now this really is a downer to me, and none have called back or when i call just tell me the will get back to me theres nothing more i want to do then get on an ambulance and start working and helping people, but well voluntering is not an option for me, almost no agency accept volunteers and also i have to work to live i dont have parents. Please any assistance,tips ,advice, help on this would be amazing thank you.

SACEMT,

Let me start by congratulating you on your achievement. Good luck and I hope that you love this job as much as I do.

I do not want to sound rude or be mean to you since you are a new member but as I read your post, I got a good idea of why you may be having trouble getting hired. Take a second and re-read your paragraph for typo's and poor grammar choices. As an administrator in charge of hiring employees, I will tell you that if your cover letter, resume, or oral interview contained a fraction of those mistakes, I would have immediatly passed you up also. This job requires a great attention to detail and your writing does not indicate that attention is present. My first impression of you is poor and it would take alot of work to change that. Add on an age issue, that sometimes can be overlooked depending on the candidate, and you are really between a rock and a hard place.

On a secondary note, keep your chin up. You must understand that some company's are not allowed to employ people under the age of 21 for insurance purposes. I once worked at a company that required a clean driving record for a minimum of 5 years. That rule alone required all employees to be at least 21.

Again, do not take the above comments personally. I certainly mean no harm. I am just trying to help you succeed in a very rewarding career.

Sincerely,

Jason

• Like 3

Go to Paramedic School, then it wont be an issue. Your best chance is to apply at government agencies that are self insured if you choose to not go to medic school. The more rural and low-paying, the better your chances will be.

Wow that is a bad statement. Some of the highest paid EMS is rural. Not most but some. I work for one that is non fire based and make more than most big city fire based, and we have lower cost of living.

My point is be careful not to stereotype.

Being under 21 with an EMT cert is a problem in Sacramento County (and across the state), as many agencies and providers will not hire, due to their vehicle insurance, pure and simple.

SacEMT: Check your private messages.

You may want to try your local Hospital or Urgency Care Facility, try to get a job as a Patient Transporter or any other entry level position; it'll give you an opportunity to get familiar with the hospital environment and equipment ( IV pumps, EKG monitors, respirators, etc...); you will also be making a lot of contacts and it looks good on your resume.

You may want to try your local Hospital or Urgency Care Facility, try to get a job as a Patient Transporter or any other entry level position; it'll give you an opportunity to get familiar with the hospital environment and equipment ( IV pumps, EKG monitors, respirators, etc...); you will also be making a lot of contacts and it looks good on your resume.

That's what I was going to recommend. But more like ER tech, EKG tech. That way you can use your EMT-I skills, and learn something in the process. That way, when you do turn 21, you will have more experience than some of your counterparts.

Of course, I don't know of how San Fran Hospitals run in regards to ER techs, etc.

I think you misread EMT-1 as EMT-I. I think the issues is finding work as a basic basic not as an intermediate.

Dwayne

I just caught that. I guess I should follow my own advise....Attention to detail.

I would say that my last post still applies though. Although I have no actual knowledge of how the San Fransisco Hospitals work in regards to ER techs.

I know that at where I work, the ER techs are EMT-basics, and are taught 12-lead placement, and phlebotomy skills.

I guess that would be neat, if it applies.confused.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.