Significant interprovincial project will benefit the profession of Paramedicine

tniuqs

Email sent to PAC wondering how they plan to deal with being left out, and how the plan on staying relevant now that the regulators will apparently be in charge

Well the only present situation is that we as Canadian Paramedics can assure PACs involvement is by being a member ... and for 15 pesos U too can have a say in the Future of this profession, a real bargain to my way of thinking ... not the regularly government minions that notoriously do not listen.

cheers

To start with ... appears that my membership fees will now take quite a jump and without my vote on this either. ACoP is not in a position to be the overseers that can't get there act together in many areas (a proven fact) now to head up reciprocity on my coin? This during a economic standstill in Alberta Health to boot. Now the Federal Government wishes to put a foot in the door of a Provincial Jurisdiction (that of Health Care Delivery)... and do this in 2 years ... shudder.

Comments Please.

Why not just let fire take over.

Why not just let fire take over.

Would you like a central line (Internal Jug or Subclavian) and a error made in the amount of K + you are deficient ?

If I hear of just one more hose monkey/paramedic state that they became a Paramedic to become a Fire Fighter I WILL GO POSTAL and you will read about it in the news !

cheers

Would you like a central line (Internal Jug or Subclavian) and a error made in the amount of K + you are deficient ?

If I hear of just one more hose monkey/paramedic state that they became a Paramedic to become a Fire Fighter I WILL GO POSTAL and you will read about it in the news !

cheers

You will find Tnuiqs that I am the furthest from a fire basher that you will find. I have worked with Fire based EMS and I have no problem with it.

I am not a hose monkey, I'm far from it. I became a paramedic to be a paramedic not a fire fighter. That was never even in my career plans. I too hate this hose monkey/paramedic debate. I don't see what all the fuss is.

Settle down, I didn't mean to touch your last nerve.

cheers

Perhaps we might need fire as I don't think the xray machine needed to confirm placement would fit in the ambulance! A firetruck would have tons of extra room biggrin.gif

You will find Tnuiqs that I am the furthest from a fire basher that you will find. I have worked with Fire based EMS and I have no problem with it.

I am not a hose monkey, I'm far from it. I became a paramedic to be a paramedic not a fire fighter. That was never even in my career plans. I too hate this hose monkey/paramedic debate. I don't see what all the fuss is.

Settle down, I didn't mean to touch your last nerve.

Can't settle down when here in Canada as we have a clear definition of Paramedics, that being directly involved with and under Health Care System and not Public Safety, the IAFF has its own agenda and it is not Health Care its promoting themselves. If you were privy to some of the rhetoric, say for example in Winnipeg the very underhanded and incorrect news coverage by our Mclean's Magazine. It would become very clear that the IAFF have drawn first blood, confusing the public by intent as to response time to scene only and somehow then upon arrival the clock medical care clock magically stops.

One can bet a bottom dollar that they IAFF will be influencing these talks regarding scope of practice and the future of Paramedicine and this is not their house in Canada nor is it in the vast majority of the Commonwealth of Nations UK, OZ and NZ ...

Do I hate all Fire/Medics not in the slightest .. I don't step foot in their house, so don't step in MINE !

This is a side bar, the real concern here it is that regulatory bodies and without the mandate from their membership that they represent and in most cases a shocker that the federal government has appointed ACoP for implementation for this incentive, under the guise of funding from Immigration and Labour Mobility. HUH ?

I am not buying it for a second there is more afoot than standardization of education and scope of practice ... mark my words.

The regulatory bodies are poking their noses into our future and scope of future practice the membership in association nationally should be the guide's the real stakeholders and again stay with enforcement of the regulations, not make them, never were these entities mandated to do this they just do not have the experience.

It is no different than a Police Department making the Laws ... and just who wants that, it just becomes a Police State.

In fact the regulatory body in Alberta does not have any bylaw or even a mandate "To Promote the Profession" there mandate stated over and over is to protect the public.

cheers

Well the only present situation is that we as Canadian Paramedics can assure PACs involvement is by being a member ... and for 15 pesos U too can have a say in the Future of this profession, a real bargain to my way of thinking ... not the regularly government minions that notoriously do not listen.

cheers

Speaking of the PAC. Does anyone know what the results of the PAC NOCP survey I posted around a year ago were? I wonder if they even have the funding required to compile the data right now.

The best case scenario I can see would involve two separate bodies. One body made up of a national selection of Canadian paramedics that sets standards of practice (sounds kind of like the PAC eh!), and another body that enforces and examines to those standards of practice. The two, though obviously related, have no business becoming one. Best practice requires standards and enforcement of standards to be independent of one another.

Agreed .

In far fewer words to boot.

The big question I must ask myself whenever a government, no matter provincial or federal any incentive out of the wild blue yonder.

1-What is the real intent?

and why.

2- Who is really to benefit?

To try to answer rock_shoes question is PAC can't operate on love.

Well I just fired the following letter off to the PAC. We'll see what I get for a response. Here's hoping they still have enough funding to keep the e-mail server going.

To whom it may concern,

Recent developments regarding the future of paramedic practice in Canada have given me reason to express a great deal of concern for the future of paramedicine. As I’m sure you are aware the Alberta College of Paramedics has been granted 1 million dollars via “Canada’s Economic Action Plan” to develop national standards and licensing/registration practices. I do not see this as a move in the right direction for Canadian paramedics and I find the PAC’s apparent absence from the process both bewildering and maddening. Current paramedic programs are CMA accredited based on NOCPs developed by the PAC. Leaving the group that sets current educational standards out of the loop like this is unacceptable.

With the foregoing in mind, I would like to offer any help I can provide to the PAC. Whether that takes the form of monetary support or simply spreading the message to other paramedics, I look forward to doing my part to progress the profession.

Edward Peters

BC Licensed PCP-IV

Alta. Registered EMT-A

Can't settle down when here in Canada as we have a clear definition of Paramedics, that being directly involved with and under Health Care System and not Public Safety, the IAFF has its own agenda and it is not Health Care its promoting themselves. If you were privy to some of the rhetoric, say for example in Winnipeg the very underhanded and incorrect news coverage by our Mclean's Magazine. It would become very clear that the IAFF have drawn first blood, confusing the public by intent as to response time to scene only and somehow then upon arrival the clock medical care clock magically stops.

One can bet a bottom dollar that they IAFF will be influencing these talks regarding scope of practice and the future of Paramedicine and this is not their house in Canada nor is it in the vast majority of the Commonwealth of Nations UK, OZ and NZ ...

Do I hate all Fire/Medics not in the slightest .. I don't step foot in their house, so don't step in MINE !

Tniuqs,

Is this the Mclean's article you are talking about:

http://www2.macleans...ed-by-the-bell/

Just so I know we are on the same page before I comment.

Until then I have a few other questions. First, I am not sure I follow your argument about us (Canada) have a clear definition of what a paramedic is. Do you mean from an educational, scope of practice, and training point of view? If so I disagree, as after all the main discussion of this forum how we should decide on that very definition. Now, if you mean that definition is that paramedics in Canada only work for EMS and should be the sole providers, then again, I would have to disagree as certainly many municipalities deliver EMS under a combined fire/EMS system. Winnipeg, as you mentioned is one, Red Deer, and Lightbridge also come to mind. We also have paramedic who work in the hospital setting. Please clarify.

Now onto the IAFF agenda. Their role, by definition should be to promote firefighting as a whole, is it not? What other agenda would they support? Yes, I will concede that fire's role is changing and with it they will be looking for new business, so to speak. It is a free country, and by all means there is no reason why they shouldn't proceed. Even if this means hurt feelings. Isn't EMS doing the same thing? Heck, we are not beating PAC up for advocating for the role of EMS are we? Wouldn't a congruent thought be how EMS is looking for new roles? Community paramedics, hospital based paramedics, injury prevention, and so on? What's the difference?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.