Significant interprovincial project will benefit the profession of Paramedicine

tniuqs

February 10, 2010 - Canadian Paramedic Regulators welcome the announcement on February 10, 2010 of federal funding of $1.2 million for a two-year project to increase labour mobility and prepare for foreign credential recognition across the country. The project features the development of national standards of competence and interprovincial examinations for the qualification and assessment of paramedics.

Paramedic regulators will be contributing a similar amount to the project in time, effort and other in-kind expenditures making this a nearly $2-million initiative. It will involve paramedics from every region and will include consultation with key stakeholders such as employers, governments, educators, physicians, paramedics, and their associations.

The specific outcomes of the project include:

• Consensus on a common scope of practice and standard of competence supported by provincial regulators for each of four levels of practice of paramedicine: Emergency Medical Responders, Primary Care Paramedics (PCP), Advanced Care Paramedics (ACP) and Critical Care Paramedics. This will serve as a common interprovincial standard for licensure thus enabling full labour mobility for practitioners.

• An interprovincial entry-to-practice examination for two levels of practice representing 80% of all practitioners (PCP and ACP).

• A collaborative approach to research to support evidence-based decision making to maintain the competency standards and the exams, and pursue issues of common interest.

• A framework for a common assessment process for internationally trained paramedics.

• An operational plan for the maintenance and sustaining of the competence standards and the interprovincial exams, including the formalization of a national organization of paramedic regulators.

Paramedic Regulators involved with this important initiative are as follows:

• British Columbia Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board

• Alberta College of Paramedics

• Saskatchewan College of Paramedics

• Manitoba Health - Emergency Medical Services

• Ontario Emergency Health Services Branch

• Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux du Québec

• Paramedic Association of New Brunswick

• Prince Edward Island

• Nova Scotia College of Paramedics

• Government of Newfoundland and Labrador - Health and Community Services

• No Territory of Canada currently regulates paramedics

The group appreciates the assistance of the Alberta College of Paramedics in providing oversight and coordination of this project on behalf of all regulators.

The first steps for the project will be the hiring of a project manager and organizing a formal meeting in Montreal in May 2010. At that meeting the regulators will build on previous work together to confirm interprovincial scopes of practice and corresponding competency standards for four levels of practice. This will enable consultation with stakeholders on the competencies and the development of the exam blueprints. There will be opportunities for paramedics at the PCP and ACP levels to participate in the exam development and validation stages.

Watch for further updates from your provincial paramedic regulator.

Government of Canada taking action to increase labour mobility for paramedics

SHERWOOD PARK, ALBERTA, February 10, 2010—The Government of Canada is working with its provincial and territorial partners to ensure that paramedics are free to practice their occupation wherever opportunities may exist. Mr. Tim Uppal, Member of Parliament for Edmonton–Sherwood Park, made the announcement today, on behalf of the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development.

“Through Canada’s Economic Action Plan, our government is taking concrete action to make full labour mobility a reality,” said Mr. Uppal. “It benefits workers and employers alike; workers have a wider range of opportunities and employers have a larger and richer pool of qualified candidates.”

The Alberta College of Paramedics will receive, on behalf of paramedic regulatory authorities across Canada, over $1 million from the Government of Canada to develop, in collaboration with Canadian regulatory authorities, a single national standard and process for the qualification, assessment and certification of paramedics, leading to full labour mobility for practitioners. The paramedic regulatory authorities will also work towards developing a strategy for a common approach to assessing and recognizing the credentials of foreign-trained paramedics.

“We are excited to work together on this important initiative that will ultimately help shape the future of the paramedic profession in Canada,” said Mr. Dale Broemeling, interim chair of the regulatory authorities working group. “We thank the Government of Canada for their important contribution to this endeavour.”

Improving foreign credential recognition is a key commitment of the Government of Canada. The Government is working with partners and stakeholders to break down the barriers to labour market integration for internationally trained workers; this partnership directly contributed to the Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications, which was announced last November.

The Government of Canada, the provinces and territories and regulatory authorities are working together to eliminate internal trade barriers and enhance labour mobility in Canada. Initiatives are being undertaken across the country with the aim to allow Canadians to work anywhere in Canada, without any additional training, examinations or assessments.

To start with ... appears that my membership fees will now take quite a jump and without my vote on this either. ACoP is not in a position to be the overseers that can't get there act together in many areas (a proven fact) now to head up reciprocity on my coin? This during a economic standstill in Alberta Health to boot. Now the Federal Government wishes to put a foot in the door of a Provincial Jurisdiction (that of Health Care Delivery)... and do this in 2 years ... shudder.

Comments Please.

Does this mean we'll have a college the same as physicians?

No its a way of forced compliance with a provincial agreement's on labour mobility ... 1993 I believe .. just now in supposedly 2 years everything will be all cozy .

I smell a bean counting rat. This has nothing to do with progression of the paramedic profession in Canada. This is entirely about controlling wages and allowing outside providers, who may or may not meet the same educational standards, to come into the country. I'm all for the development of a national regulatory body but this is not the way to go about it.

If the federal government were actually interested in developing true national standards this funding would have been directed to the PAC. The PAC has already put in a tremendous amount of work towards the development of national standards with direct input from paramedics across Canada. Why are we content to let politicians with zero medical knowledge arm chair quarterback the direction of the paramedic profession? Its garbage and I refuse to support it. I refuse to allow an ignorant suit decide educational standards for a profession they know nothing about when they can't even hold power without proroguing parliament.

• Like 1

I will be most pleased to post the reply from my letter from the MP as soon as I get an official reply. Oh and Phone call first thing in the AM .... the thing that bothers me the most is WHY did ACoP suddenly become the Canadian Authority, and last AGM divested from PAC, besides this will be boosting my dues to pay for this "incentive"

I am bamboozled to get my head around why and how ACoP was appointed in the fist place when the president is an EMR ? And no of experience actually working as a health care professional ... you guys and gals know ... like on a real Ambulance.

Improving foreign credential recognition is a key commitment of the Government of Canada. The Government is working with partners and stakeholders to break down the barriers to labour market integration for internationally trained workers; this partnership directly contributed to the Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications, which was announced last November.

This is the most distressing paragraph and has NOTHING to do with advancing the Profession it has everything to do with (______ fill in the Blank)ps try nepotism and check the link to the MPs website makes things clearer http://www.timuppal.ca/

I would encourage every Canadian Trained Paramedic to write a letter to this MP and ask the how and why of this decision and without consultation from the actual members currently providing care, you know the true stakeholders in this profession not those that sit in an office and regulate ... and I am getting input from BC and TOBA saying they have not heard one word of this.

Perhaps it is time to look through the mist and the REAL motives for this "incentive" and protect our Profession, perhaps fund present Canadian Citizens to upgrade in their education first, give the Canadian tax payer's a chance ?

Attention: Mr. Harper your going to meet me very, very soon ... I AM CANADIAN AND I'M PISSED !

• Like 1

I just have a simple question. As we all know how ACP is with budgeting......quite simply..IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INSANE???

I think you missed the part about WE fund the extra costs to make their plan work ... lets hope this will tip the past apathetic membership to get seriously involved.

The motion was successfully passed last AGM to carry 7 proxies per attending member almost a way to actually be a democratic representation ... ACoP just may see a rapid change of Council, perhaps a change of Registrar is in order too.

The reputation for service to the membership is in need of a serious tune up IMHO.

• Like 1

Yes this is the same "justification" that ACoP used in the last AGM ... which raises the very serious question, that being who is actually representing the Paramedic Profession ?

The regulatory bodies are strongly influenced by the respective governments. You know get a warm body in a truck ... if it costs less then who will notice.

The advancement of the profession is not in the regulatory body's mandate or in there interest just ie protecting the public.

This present move to "unify regulators" and the scope of practice in my estimation WILL result in a lower standard across this Country ... I for one will be very supportive for self governing associations to represent the interests of the Paramedic Profession.

And if anyone believes that an "essential services" clause in provincial legislation does anything to benefit the profession or membership of the whole ... be rest assured (from the latest BC experience) it is NOT in our best interests, education, or lifestyle ... ask rock_shoes !

Back to phoning the Executive of PAC with a proven track record to advance this profession.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.