So, I hope to become an EMT after high school...

DavidA

And I was wondering if you all had any tips for me, and if any of you could tell me about different programs that availible that I may not know about to get a head start. I am currently a sophomore in high school at the moment, and I'd love to know if there are any opportunites I could jump on now or in the near future to help get started in the field.

Thanks! :)

-David A

• Like 1

i would say check with your state laws to see how old you have to be to become an emt. I think Pa is 16. read books, talk to emt's/medics in your area and see if he/she has any ideas. get cpr and aed certified.

I would have to agree. Check the state laws and protocols. I have a friend right now that just got Nationally Registered and no one will hire him due to his age. I live in Alabama, He is 19. But as far as you wanting to be an EMT I would also suggest joining a local Rescue Squad or Fire Department that runs medical calls. That will look good on college apps into the EMS field. Good Luck!!!

I got my start as a First Responder with the Boy Scouts of America... I can highly recommend the experiences I had as a 16 year old with my local Venturing Crew. I can give you more info if I know where you're at...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

There is no "head start" through experience. The only head start that will benefit you is through education. Take Biology, Anatomy & Physiology if available. Take chemistry. Take an expository writing course. Take advanced math. Take psychology and sociology. Take physics. Take weight training. Believe it or not, high school is capable of providing an excellent foundation for EMS practice if you aren't too blind to see the possibilities. And those courses will go LIGHT YEARS farther to prepare you for EMS practice than any piddling around with a volunteer department or Explorer post. In fact, both of those are well known to retard your progress as a new medic.

• Like 1

There is no "head start" through experience. The only head start that will benefit you is through education. Take Biology, Anatomy & Physiology if available. Take chemistry. Take an expository writing course. Take advanced math. Take psychology and sociology. Take physics. Take weight training. Believe it or not, high school is capable of providing an excellent foundation for EMS practice if you aren't too blind to see the possibilities. And those courses will go LIGHT YEARS farther to prepare you for EMS practice than any piddling around with a volunteer department or Explorer post. In fact, both of those are well known to retard your progress as a new medic.

This. And if you can find a community college with concurrent enrollment, you can get HS and college credit for some of those classes like A&P 1 and 2. It will also give you a solid foundation for advancing out of the first aid (basic) stage and onto a real career like nursing

Edited by JTpaintball70
  • Like 1

And I was wondering if you all had any tips for me, and if any of you could tell me about different programs that availible that I may not know about to get a head start. I am currently a sophomore in high school at the moment, and I'd love to know if there are any opportunites I could jump on now or in the near future to help get started in the field.

Thanks! smile.gif

-David A

Hey David,

I know some high schools actually run an EMT course as a class. You might want to check with your school to see if that is available and you just weren't aware of it! Other than that, I suggest joining a local volunteer fire/EMS department if available. It's a perfect way to gain experience. Try checking local hospitals as well, if you'd like to try to get into an EMT class in the future. I know my local hospital runs an EMT-B course yearly!

Best of luck to you :)

• Like 1

Since most states have different criteria concerning age stipulations in EMS, begin by looking for other programs as listed in prior posts. Another idea is to see if there are any agencies that have explorer programs (EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement, etc.). If not, find someone that may be willing to initiate one.

I agree with some of this.... the best way to get ahead is education, education, education.... and Dust is right - there is a lot your high school can offer, to provide you with a firm foundation before you get into EMT classes.

However, gaining some exposure to what is involved in EMS, is not a bad idea. I disagree with the quote "And those courses will go LIGHT YEARS farther to prepare you for EMS practice than any piddling around with a volunteer department or Explorer post. In fact, both of those are well known to retard your progress as a new medic." I don't think you are looking to get your EMT, and then stay there... I suspect you are looking at paramedic in the long term, and that is what you should be doing.

As for experience retarding your progress as a medic.... the statement by the previous poster is given as though there are statistics to prove this.. please note that this is only the poster's opinion, as this post is mine. I can tell you from my experience, I haven't seen that.

I would prefer to have a student that has gained some exposure through Boy Scouts, or other organization, than one who is getting into EMS without having seen and dealt with anything first aid related. I have seen students who have gotten to their first practicums, and fainted, or vomited, because they were completely unprepared for some of the things they see. I see medic students that are on practicum now, who have done the EMT-B, EMT-I, and now medic, and their only exposure to patients was their practicums... and that is not enough... they have no idea how to deal with the panicked mom and very sick baby... they don't know how to deal with the elderly.... the time spent on practicum is not enough to provide them with enough skills, and their young age hasn't given them enough life skills to deal with some of that yet. I think that is some of the reason I am seeing such a high burnout rate among those "zero to hero" students.

If this is the career path you want to take, get your high school sciences... ensure your writing skills are excellent.. talk to everyone you can, and don't take no for an answer. If someone says something you don't understand, ask for an explanation. If you want to know why something is done, ask why.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.