BLS vs ALS

daedalus

Really? If you notice, the NREMT-P patch has already dropped "Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic" in favor of "EMT-Paramedic". There is also talk of dropping "EMT" and making it just say "paramedic". With the advent of AEMT, the crackdown on accreditation, and waning volunteerism throughout the country, you're going to see EMT and "BLS" shift closer and closer to a first responder type role until EMTs are essentially confined to volunteer first-response. EMTs won't be on ALS trucks for long. Give it 10 years and see how things are different.

Current NREMT documentation only states "Paramedic" not "EMT-Paramedic".

What about you simply disband the idea of a separate profesional who provides medical care outside the hospital and make properly educated physicians and nurses run EMS? :whistle:

It always puzzled me why, in certain sistems/countries, if someone had an AMI or any acute medical condition outside hospital walls he would be evaluated and treated by a technician while if he came walking to an ER he would be get seen by a nurse and physician... :blink:

Edited by JackMaga

It always puzzled me why, in certain sistems/countries, if someone had an AMI or any acute medical condition outside hospital walls he would be evaluated and treated by a technician while if he came walking to an ER he would be get seen by a nurse and physician... :blink:

Well, since we don't have the capability to do a catheterization in the field, how would your treatment of the MI patient differ?

Interesting replies by some.

Why are people getting their panties in a wad with this discussion? Comments like same ol' same ol', we have had this fight, nice to see nothing has changed, and the like are getting old. Folks, this is a tame conversation about differences of ALS/BLS providers. If we are going to have other folks learn from us, I think we should have more active discussions on these hot topics. This is not a knock out drag out like I have seen some other posts mirroring this topic.

I find it interesting that we have not only talked about ALS/BLS, but we have had others chime in with their perspective on how we should call ourselves, who should govern paramedics, education, and the like. I say this is a good thread.

Thanks folks.

Matty

Well, since we don't have the capability to do a catheterization in the field, how would your treatment of the MI patient differ?

I don't have the capability to do a catheterization in the ER too, so maybe these patients should be treated by paramedics in the ER too untill they get to the cardiologist? :bonk:

It's not about the skills one can perform or the drugs one can administer: here we're talking about the knowledge and level of education one should have when treating a patient in the field...

I don't have the capability to do a catheterization in the ER too, so maybe these patients should be treated by paramedics in the ER too untill they get to the cardiologist? bonk.gif

It's not about the skills one can perform or the drugs one can administer: here we're talking about the knowledge and level of education one should have when treating a patient in the field...

That is a dangerous assumption. I know some paramedics that have a lot more education and experience with body systems and A & P than most nurses in practice.

However, you are correct. This is not about skills or drugs. Although, I have been wrong before.

I think the point here is that Pre-hospital folks need to be accredited and licensed by their own governing body, as are nurses, PA's and physicians.

Edited by armymedic571

<snip due sillyness>

Ok I will bite and disagree, you can't have the knowledge, education and experience without the tools, try explaing to the family that your capable, could have changed outcome but you didn't have the tools ... just saying.

The knowledge that one needs is essential with those that have the capability of delivering Thrombolytics, well in my world and that a Cath Lab is just not a realistic option, in many cases well unless post mortum.

ps: armymedic571 Get out of the sun its affecting your sense of ha ha.

cheers

Regardless of the sad state of US EMS training, you don't need a physician to do everything. Physical therapy doesn't require a physician specialized in PM&R. Nurses are entrusted to follow the orders of a patients physician, including PRN orders, as well as their department's standing orders, hence a physician doesn't have to be present in a ward 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. While I agree that prehosptial medical care shouldn't be provided by technicians in the strictest sense of the word "technician," there are plenty of EMS systems around the world, including the US, where paramedics are no longer just technicians or are in the process of moving away from being technicians just following a cook book.

Edited by JPINFV

ps: armymedic571 Get out of the sun its affecting your sense of ha ha.

cheers

Ahhhh, that's not true. I thought we were trying to have a real discussion here. My bad.

Besides, I like the sun....dribble.gif

Edited by armymedic571

I don't have the capability to do a catheterization in the ER too, so maybe these patients should be treated by paramedics in the ER too untill they get to the cardiologist? :bonk:

Don't be ridiculous. I would expect more from you.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger advocate for the furtherance of EMS education than myself, so don't try and trivialize my point. If a well educated Paramedic can recognise what the patient's symptoms are and can treat the pt. accordingly, how is the way you would do things different? It was an honest question which deserved an honest answer. No one is trying to compare a Paramedics education to that of a Physician. That would be silly. Just having a Physician on an ambulance does not mean the pt. would have a different outcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.