precepting letter...

tskstorm

I remember reading somewhere a letter from a preceptor to a student basically giving the student a list of expectations, I believe the first thing was to introduce yourself to your patient, anyone familiar with what I'm talking about ?

Searched all the precepting and preceptor threads I could find, no luck.

I would love to get a hold of this.

Thanks

Hey, that link was awesome. Thanks. It is nice to see that other feel being a preceptor is a privledge not a right.

I think that piece is great. After being (sometimes) treated badly as a nursing student I decided I would go into preceptorship after qualifying. Making the bad good again, you know the score.

I use the points in that letter almost daily.

WM

Edited by WelshMedic

Good ideas from that preceptor. I've used many of those lines myself, but never thought much about it. Most of it just seems like common sense to me.

I suppose it would be a good thing to have an established set of rules like that- especially if the preceptor is younger. It seems like a lot of those ideas came to me after a bit of life experience and time in the business. Too many times I have seen ego and control issues as the prime motivators for being a preceptor, which does nothing to help their student.

I was fortunate- my preceptors were incredible. I learned tons from them- especially about the proper way to talk to patients and their families. The medical aspect is cook book. Knowing the proper way to treat people(not their illnesses) is the real art form here.

My partner and I (double medic truck) Have recently had a new student on our truck every shift. We find ourselves repeating the same thing so we have decided to write a letter of expectations of students, that we can just leave in our ambulance and all students can see. I remembered reading that letter, and thought it would be a good start to my letter of expectations. I want to convey I'm not trying to jerk them around I just expect certain things that will make the shift go smoothly and lead to the most learning.

Once again thank you for pointing me in the right direction, that was all I needed.

My partner and I (double medic truck) Have recently had a new student on our truck every shift. We find ourselves repeating the same thing so we have decided to write a letter of expectations of students, that we can just leave in our ambulance and all students can see. I remembered reading that letter, and thought it would be a good start to my letter of expectations. I want to convey I'm not trying to jerk them around I just expect certain things that will make the shift go smoothly and lead to the most learning.

Once again thank you for pointing me in the right direction, that was all I needed.

Bravo...........

Now that is a great idea......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.