Frustration

Timmy

As of late my volunteer EMS management role has been causing great personal frustration!!! I can't believe the minor, trivial, mind numbing incidents the public complain about!! In the past two weeks I've had to deal with:

I had the park ranger at a bike race event follow two of my ambulances with beacons active one hour up a mountain to an incident then abuse my volunteers (Intensive Care Paramedic and Registered Nurses) for not stopping at the check gate to identify themselves and threatened to give them a fine for failing to stop, yet he would let 2000 bike riders go through the same gate with no issue, this part of the mountain was a planned route for the bike race and he was aware of this.

I've just had a douche from the public complain about having to speed past 3 of my ambulances on the way home from an event because they were travelling 5km under the posted speed limit. He told me it made him very 'frustrated' to be driving so slowly.

I had a lady at a horse racing event abuse me for parking the ambulance under a tree on a stinking hot day and blocking the public view even though this area was marked on the event map as were the ambulance would be located, the event organiser had told me to park there and it was the only position were I could see the whole track.

I had a crew driving home from an event in Melbourne (3 hour drive), a man complained that my guys had gone into McDonalds, consumed the food then parked the ambulance in the rest area at the truck stop and proceeded to have a power nap... They've just done a 15 hour shift and I commend them for having common scenes to stop for a break, get something to eat and rest before a 3 hour drive home.

What do I say to these people? I'm certainly not going to apologies for my crews actions because they've done nothing wrong. I advice them if they wish to make a complaint it should be submitted in witting and it will be investigated. I have a good team of volunteer health care professionals and first responders who give up there time from there normal well paid jobs to help the community and they feel like wise.

I give up a lot of my time to help out here, I'm only 20, I'm a nurse, I work full time, University goes back soon and as much as I enjoy running the EMS service if things like this keep coming up I will reconsider my appointment, I certainly don't volunteer to deal with such minor complaints. People can be so shallow sometimes!

Do what I always did, say something to this effect

"Yes Sir, I will take this information down, discuss it with the crew members in question and if appropriate action needs to be taken I will indeed do so. I apologize if this incident upset you and you bet your fricking lame lazy ass that I will get right on it. Just as soon as I finish watching my grass grow another couple of inches"

But seriously, just either say I'll check into it or please submit your complaint in writing as we do not go on verbal complaints. All complaints must be in writing.

Or you can just say "We're sorry this inconvenienced you in any way" It's easier and costs you nothing to say "Im sorry"

Timmy,

First off, all complaints must be submitted in writing!

Second, are the complaintants required by law to be notified of the results of an 'investigation'?

Third, When a 'shallow, mind numbing complaint comes in and it's found to have no basis; they get filed for future reference:

complaint_department.jpg

4001_500sq.jpg

Don't let the whingers drive you crazy! When at all possible (like at the race event), direct them to the person(s) responsible, (ie: the track Event Organizer)

I've found that the easiest way to get the 'crybaby public' to shut up is with the phrase, "I'll look into it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

Usually that's enough to get them to have:

warmcup-1.jpg?t=1217661724

Timmy, you reminded me of a letter to the editor of a local weekly newspaper. Some crybaby complained that an ambulance crew was sitting in their ambulance, at the street corner they were assigned to wait at between assignments, with the engine running. Because it was a block away from an intersection where there had been a number of "Pedestrian Struck" deaths, the writer called the crew "Ghouls".

Mine was not the only response to this writer, but all of us lambasted him for complaining about the crew keeping the ambulance patient compartment cool in hot weather, warm in cold, and keeping power to the radio, plus, they were where they were supposed to be. Also, complaining of them being Ghouls sitting at a frequent incident location, then having a fire house on a block would cause a house fire.

Timmy: Were you on the scene of where the complaints were being made, or responding to the complaints from wherever your office is?

The standardized lines of putting it in writing is always good, because if in the rarity of the crew actually doing something wrong, it keeps a record. Advising that the complaint will be investigated, and if so indicated, action being taken, is also a good idea. You also might make up a "format" letter to send back, indicating "Re your complaint, we reviewed the crews actions and found them to be following departmental protocols; if there is anything further, please contact us." Use only if that reflects the condition. At least the complainant "knows" someone took them seriously enough to write back.

FYI, I went to the intersection where that ambulance was supposed to be sitting, but the higher-ups had already decided to move them a block or two away for between assignments.

Serenity now, Sernity Now ! Something you will learn through experience; no matter what you do, no matter what you say, no matter what plan you have, you will NEVER MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY IN YOUR LIFE. So rather than give any of these morons any control over your day (that is what you do when you let your B/P go up because of something someone else said or did = if they are controlling your mood, they are controlling you). You have to stand-up and decide what battles are worth fighting and which ones are not worth your time. As suggested earlier, smile (dont be rude), thank them for their input, tell them you will look into it, and go on with your day. Let the small stuff roll off your back, or you will soon have an ulcer. As for issues like the one with the track (where there is no doubt that you are on the logical/right side), just present them with the logic; you should have just said what you told us, "This is where the track owners want us, if you have an issue, please go see them". When you have a kook like the Ranger, where you have intruded on their authoritiiiii, you should have said, "I am sorry, I had no idea we broke the rules, maybe you can attend our next departmental meeting on such&such date and educate my staff to your rules and needs". You ran Barney's road block and hurt his ego, so just like Thelma Lou, you have to let him feel important.

What ever happened to the time honored tradition of being able to tell people to fuck off?

None of these are legitimate complaints timmy, i'd be inclined to just not reply to them to begin with, but if you are going to reply, don't apologise for them, inform them that the orgsanisation supports the guys driving 5k under the limit or having a nap in a rest area, or that you were specifically placed under that tree by the event organiser. Dont apologise for the sake of keeping fuckwits happy.

Alternately, ill answer them for you. :D