Meanwhile, In New Jersey

Richard B the EMT

We have a string on a handbook to minimize danger to Heroin users in New York City. Figure this as a parallel.

Earlier today, the New Jersey Legislature voted to allow the usage of medicinal Marijuana, for treating a specified list of pain causing diseases. Those who qualify for the legalized "Wacky Tobacky" will be required to have special ID card. Control of the cannabis will be with the state, so forget growing your own, for fun and/or profit.

As of this posting, all the vote needs, is the signature of the out-going Governor. The growing, and distribution, if the gov signs off on it, will be available in about 9 months.

I agree with the use of POT for medical treatment. WHen you have to watch people suffer that you love you are willing to do what it takes to ease thier pain.

I am curious if (and I know this is a big if) at some time the vast majority of states make it legalized - then it almost seems as if the supreme court will be forced on changing the status of it ? We know right now marijuana is a cash crop on many levels - it is cheap to grow and sell, it is the largest "drug" that the supposed war on drugs is active on, and is what many places are dependent upon gaining funding through. Shall we consider the use of hemp which comes from the same derivative and yet it is perfectly legal? I have yet to have that fully explained to me. Perhaps the government fears being put out of business ? I am not advocating for it either way at this point (legal or illegal) - simply making points for one to consider.

I have always felt they should have 'wet' and 'dry' counties in the states. Specific cities / counties where you can smoke it, and buy it out in the open. But have it like alcohol, you cant drive under the infuence of it. You can not sell it in the dry counties. And you can not have more then X amount on you at any given time.

*ha.. As I type this, I can hear in the background that they are talking about it here in CA on the T.V.

I have always felt they should have 'wet' and 'dry' counties in the states. Specific cities / counties where you can smoke it, and buy it out in the open. But have it like alcohol, you cant drive under the infuence of it. You can not sell it in the dry counties. And you can not have more then X amount on you at any given time.

*ha.. As I type this, I can hear in the background that they are talking about it here in CA on the T.V.

ummm - there's a ton of that here - I'd venture to say prolly 1/3 of the counties here are dry counties entirely. Then you have the "wanna be wet" counties - they allow alcohol to be served in restaraunts only (ie applebees type places), and then you have counties that are half wet / half dry that one side allows liquor and the other doesn't. What's really funny is to drive down the road and see all the liquor stores on that side of the street and the lack thereof on the other side (even people who don't know the wet/dry county concept grasp it really fast here !). At one point in time there was a single section of town (those knowing where I went to school and have been there) know it was main street - I think at it's peak before rest of the county went wet to alcohol sales it was 36 bars on mainstreet area alone. Was hysterical to watch on thurs, fri nights the cops line main street just waiting for them to come out (and conveniently the courthouse was surrounded by bars as was the jail). Bright move eh? Wish they'd just pick one and be done with it !