Ronin Remote Medic Training - South Africa

Jems

Hello everyone.

I'm an IHCD Technician looking to progress to Paramedic.

I've seen a course advertised with Ronin, in South Africa. It's in conjunction with South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust and on completion you can apply to the HPC for registration.

I wonder whether anyone from the UK (or anywhere for that matter) has completed this course? What did you think?

After your theoretical training on cannulation, intubation etc etc you have a workbook to complete to confirm competency in these areas. You are to practice under the guidance of a Paramedic or the Hospital - but as the course is in South Africa, I am envisaging problems with getting your own Service or local Hospital to agree. Surely there's an issue with insurance?

I know some previous students of Ronin have joined the London Ambulance Service, but can't find anyone to tell me how they managed to get their placements.

Any information would be gratefully recieved!

Jemma

SA Medic would be a fantastic resource for you - If I am correctly he is actively employed in SA as a medic. Good luck !

Have you looked at any of the Paramedic Science degrees in the UK or are you after a quick education without doing the degree?

The current NHS Trust that I work for is in partnership with St Georges Hospital, London - for the 3 year degree. However due to funding, the places on the course are few and far between and this year there are no places at all!

I have offered to self fund on a degree course, but need my Trust to agree to fund/arrange the practical placements - and they have refused.

I have also offered to self fund the degree course via Open University, but again, the Trust have refused.... Can you see a pattern emerging??? :)

Basically, it's either their way or not at all, but I thought that the Ronin course would be fab because everything is arranged for you, less the hours with a Paramedic or in hospital to practice your skills that you've learnt in SA.

Thats where I've hit a bit of a wall you see, because it all comes down to my Trust agreeing to let me practice or the Hospital letting me practice... and I think that there may be an insurance problem because I don't come under a UK University or have the go ahead from my Trust.... SO ANNOYING!!

Needless to say, if I could do it with my own Trust I would, but they are truly useless where this is concerned!

Edited by Jems

I think you should concentrate your efforts where you are...things have changed recently.

From the HPC website:

"Action: CU (by 6 July 2009)

Item 14.09/61 Ronin Protective and Paramedical Services South Africa (report ref: ETC 41/09)

14.1 The Committee received a paper for discussion/approval from the Executive.

14.2 The Committee noted that the IHCD paramedic award delivered jointly by Ronin Protective and Paramedical Services, South Africa (‘Ronin’) and South West Ambulance Service NHS Trust (SWAST) had previously been accredited by the IHCD. The Committee noted that HPC had previously agreed that IHCD should be approved as an education provider. However, in March 2008, the Committee had agreed to regard individual sites of delivery as the education provider for IHCD award and the IHCD as the validating body. The Committee had also agreed in March 2008 that it was not possible to approve programmes or franchised and collaborative programmes which were delivered outside of the UK by a non-UK education provider. However, it was possible for a UK education provider to deliver a programme in whole or in part overseas.

14.3 The Committee noted that, in February 2009, the Executive had sent a form to Ronin Protective and Paramedical Services to gather information about the programme. Following information provided by Ronin and SWAST and legal advice from HPC’s solicitor, the Executive had decided that the paramedic award delivered jointly by Ronin and SWAST should be considered to be a programme or franchised and collaborative programme delivered outside of the UK by a non-UK education provider. Ronin and SWAST had been informed of the decision and had appealed against the decision.

14.4 The Committee noted that, separately to these developments, the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) had written to HPC expressing concern about the programme. In particular, HPCSA was concerned that the programme required extensive clinical experiential training which was conducted on South African citizens. In addition, people on the HPCSA Intermediate Life Support register were enrolling for the programme and were practising outside their scope of practice. This constituted a transgression of the South African Health Professions Act 1974 and the Ethical Code.

14.5 The Committee agreed that:

• the programme was a franchised and collaborative programme delivered outside of the UK by a non-UK education provider. The Committee felt that there was no guarantee that placements took place in the UK. In addition, the Committee agreed that the appeal by SWAST and Ronin had not fully answered the HPC’s requests for information;

the IHCD paramedic award delivered by Ronin and SWAST should not be regarded as an approved programme, to the extent that it had ever been approved by HPC. The Committee agreed that the evidence did not seem to meet the requirements of a UK education provider delivering the programme in whole or in part outside of the UK and therefore could not be considered as an approved programme, in accordance with the Committee’s decision in March 2008 mentioned at paragraph 14.2 above."

http://www.hpc-uk.org/assets/documents/10002A1Beducation_and_training_committee_20090611_minutes.pdf

Edited by scott33

Looks like a mess to me. It seems Ronin has initiated 500,000 pound lawsuit against the South African HPC. In addition, Ronin does in fact advertise on their site that graduates are entitled to pursue UK paramedic recognition. I am not sure, but it sounds a little dodgy to me.

Take care,

chbare.

SA isn't in SA anymore if I remember right.

Technically, the Republic of South Africa (RSA).

Take care,

chbare.