Nitrile Sensitivity?

emtannie

I have latex allergy, and was using nitrile gloves long before anyone else was. My latex allergy is severe enough that it is triggered by latex paint fumes if someone has freshly painted in their home, latex balloons, etc (breathing difficulties, hives), and heaven forbid someone touch me with latex gloves...

In the last few weeks, I have been developing a rash on my hands during and after my shifts, even though I am using nitrile gloves. We have not changed brands at work, so the gloves are no different than what I have been using for years. It is the same small raised red itchy rash that my latex allergy started out as.

So far, hydrocortisone cream does help.... but I am wondering... has anyone else here at the city developed a sensitivity to nitrile? Any ideas (other than quitting my job) on other glove options?

ROFLMAO Phil.... you know, as I was typing the original post, I was thinking of you, and wondering what you would post to this thread... thank you for never disappointing me!

And yes Phil, the latex fetish is definitely out... but there are sooooo many other fetishes which are so much fun.... (and Phil, if you shop carefully, there are some very nice silicone alternatives to latex.....)

Annie -

could simply be contact dermatitis - very common in the nursing profession where minor allergy, plus constant handwashing and dry skin. I have no problem with either, however, several years ago I did have a reaction to powder within the gloves - needless to say I've not worn powdered gloves since. I would check the gloves to ensure there's no sort of moisturizer or anything in them (I know one variety contains aloe) that perhaps you could be allergic to. Hope that helps you !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.