Dispatch sends text messages

BlackSheep2

I havent seen a pager for years. It is old, outdated technology.

We dont use texts for main calls, however supervisers are allerted to major incidents via text.

Lets use the latest technology & move forward with it.

Old and outdated vs what? Issuing everyone cell phones? Requiring everyone to carry cell phones? If you text message to private cell phones, who covers any resulting charges? Text messages (regardless of MDT/cell phone/pager) definately has the advantage over radio communication in the sense that the message is there until you delete it, not just until the person stops talking.

Edited by JPINFV

I dunno about other phone companies. But in my area there can be huge delays in recieving texts. New years eve, we sat down to have supper, and I got a text saying "Almost there" from my mother. Apperently she had sent it 30min previous, before she arrived, since she was sitting across the table from me.

It is not a perfected technology here in Canada yet.

I havent seen a pager for years. It is old, outdated technology.

We dont use texts for main calls, however supervisers are allerted to major incidents via text.

Lets use the latest technology & move forward with it.

Yeah,no kidding, still stuck with pagers....... apparently MDT stands for "metropolitan data terminal"

Remember, MDTs don't follow you around outside the unit, which can be a pain if you aren't issued portable radios.

sorry, our metro cousins are paged with the case details but have an MDT in the truck which displays case details and further information collected by pro QA and CAD for them. We all carry portable radio's in any case for comms and they have a duress alarm fitted to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.