Medical driving restrictions for EMS?

emtannie

I'm not going to rehash things, and I'm too lazy to type everything all over again. But here's my input on it. HOWEVER - I do want to make one comment - we excuse diabetics, known cardiac conditions, etc alot more and they are just as dangerous and the people potentially more unstable. Do I want to be in a buggy with someone with a known medical condition as the above? NO - not just epilepsy, narcolepsy, etc. It was a fail on all parts, but if you allowed someone else with another uncontrolled med condition to drive shame on you, and shame on them for not being responsible. That being said - TN requires a medical release upon renewal so in this case - shame on his doctor as well. As a medic, I don't think you should be required to drive - as a basic you're not looking at a good future in this field. But here's my full opinion :

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/17243-news-feed-tennessee-firefighter-david-clines-medical-history-may-have-contributed-to-fatal-wreck-jemscom/page__p__232151__fromsearch__1&#entry232151

PA is the same way. You have to meet certain medical requirements to operate a vehicle. As for narcolepsy and epilepsy, as long as they under control, there is no harm. That being said, if you DO have an episode of one or the other, your license is supposed to be revoked. Regardless of if you were operating a vehicle at the time or not. I don't recall the time frame of how long they take the license away, but it's not a short period.

Really crappy this happened though.

PA is a mandantory reporting state (one of only 4 in the US) - anyone over the age of 15, if you have a loss of consciousness or seizure, it is required that it is reported within 10 days to PA DOT and an investigation is done. Period of time without an incident is 6 months - however, that can be extended depending upon physician's comments on the forms they send to the medical review board. Reviews may be as frequent as once a month to as infrequent as once a year.

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/wellness/transportation/drivinglaws.cfm

No wonder you guys re-vamped the licensing system. Our system is kind of a hybrid involving both weight and vehicle type.

We have classes 1-6 based upon weight and 8 endorsments depending on vehicle type or type of driving; e.g. F for forklift, P for passenger or T for tracks (e.g. tank or bulldozer). Say you want to drive a bus, you need a Class 2 as a bus is over 4,500kg but < than 15,000kg AND a P endorsement as you carry passengers for hire or reward.

Amublance has an exemption which means they do not require a P endorsement and as such, are subject to "private" medical standards.

That however does not mean you will be put on the driving course, I know somebody has to approve it but I largely believe the test of fitness relies upon the driver licensing system.

While Australia's licensing system places Ambulance under what is called class LR (or light rigid) it is not subject to CDL medical standards; however, many services such as ASNSW and AV choose to hold all applicants to CDL medical standards as a cheap and effective way of getting around the loophole in the system. I think we should do the same.

Do they actually have to drive a bus or tractor with trailer, air-brakes, etc. or is it just another drivers test? I agree that you don’t need to be licensed to operate a tractor-trailer unit to drive an ambulance.

Standard drivers test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.