Daycare Dyspnea

Kiwiology

Allergies? If so, to what? And has the kid been exposed?

Allergies? If so, to what? And has the kid been exposed?

No and no.

ALS (MICA) has been redirected to a cardiac arrest, a solo responder is being recalled from the city to come out. His ETA is six minutes.

The hospital is 15-20 minutes away.

So we have a 4 yo in sev resp distress, Phx of croup, SP02 in the 80's, tachypneic, cyanosis, nill know allergies, your indicating its not asthma and not anaphylaxis.

What was the kid doing when the symptoms began?

Has he been unwell lately?

On any meds?

You arrive to find eight firefighters already on scene in all thier getup, 6 are standing around doing nothing, 1 is attempting a blood pressure and the other is trying to turn the oxygen on.

Oh wait wait wait, what am I saying, we think logically down here, so scratch that, they're back at the fire station where they belong watching telly and playing scrabble.

Man the ROFL copters, we have incoming LOL. :gun: hehehe, golden.

Any swelling of the face or hands?

Is the kid drooling?

Temp?

Any urticaria?

If the kid is blue and low 80's I am going to be pretty quick to intubate.

We can start a racemic Epi neb, but I am not convinced it will have any effect.

Lets start the neb and load up. I would probably intubate in the ambulance.

What are the air entry sounds in the lung fields?

Any swelling of the face or hands?

Is the kid drooling?

Temp?

Any urticaria?

If the kid is blue and low 80's I am going to be pretty quick to intubate.

We can start a racemic Epi neb, but I am not convinced it will have any effect.

Lets start the neb and load up. I would probably intubate in the ambulance.

What are the air entry sounds in the lung fields?

<Late edit>

BS Rasping cough, high pitched stridorous sound insp/exp, sounds diminished in all fields

Hmmm interesting ?

Nice what are we hearing .. back to a systematic evaluation and attempting to eliminate a "few" other underlying possible pathologies first ?If this is a BLS crew ... get the ass enroute, perhaps an information patch to ER ????

Have FF remove frantic "teacher" and show her the big red truck .. take the rest of the class too, heck might as well promote the Fire Service ....

The ONSET of the symptoms may be a hint of what may happening, was this sudden onset or was this kid sick when he showed up at the child care facility ?

And if one choses to jump on the "inhaled meds" SVN (what is the scope of practice on site if ALS was enroute and then diverted?).. with sats of 80 would "tusks" be a good idea ?

Ok I will take a pretty picture for yall dumb ass Paraidiots ... :whistle:

So Epi has been suggested (this kid is already stressed) would anyone want to go the salbutamol or atrovent or even inhaled steroids route first ?

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

<Late edit>

BS Rasping cough, high pitched stridorous sound insp/exp, sounds diminished in all fields

Hmmm interesting ?

Nice what are we hearing .. back to a systematic evaluation and attempting to eliminate a "few" other underlying possible pathologies first ?If this is a BLS crew ... get the ass enroute, perhaps an information patch to ER ????

Have FF remove frantic "teacher" and show her the big red truck .. take the rest of the class too, heck might as well promote the Fire Service ....

The ONSET of the symptoms may be a hint of what may happening, was this sudden onset or was this kid sick when he showed up at the child care facility ?

And if one choses to jump on the "inhaled meds" SVN (what is the scope of practice on site if ALS was enroute and then diverted?).. with sats of 80 would "tusks" be a good idea ?

Ok I will take a pretty picture for yall dumb ass Paraidiots ... :whistle:

So Epi has been suggested (this kid is already stressed) would anyone want to go the salbutamol or atrovent or even inhaled steroids route first ?

cheers

I agree with the additional history and assessment considerations. For example, sudden onset stridor is going to have different pathology considerations.

I would most likely not go with salbutamol for an upper airway obstruction problem such as this kiddo. I would want to consider something like racemic epinephrine and ensure we are nebulising this medication properly, because unlike salbutamol, we want inertial impaction and deposition of the aerosol in the upper airway.

I would agree, that at least a loading dose of a steriod will be indicated in this patient.

While not an EMS consideration, this patient may benefit from Heliox therapy.

If we are still looking at croup, I would not consider antimicrobial therapy unless we have other indications of a bacterial infection. We must remember, croup is typically a viral infection.

Take care,

chbare.

• Like 1