One green Student.

First of all, good morning:)

Okay, so I am beginning my training to become an EMT. I do intend of course to go headstrong into this career path, in attaining Paramedic one day. Seeking counselors advice on how to go about acheiving my goal has been a nightmare. Even having one tell me to get my Physiology, Math, English and Bio. out of the the way and just apply for the Paramedic portion because EMT 1 was a waste of time...to only have me "snort" at him and ask him if he even knows what he is talking about. Okay so needless to say I am with a new counselor who is awesome. Right now my community college only offers EMT 1..so I will have to transfer to another community college or tech school. Because of this is has me scrambling to find out what preq's are required for the course. And, it also has me wondering. Tech school, or from what I understand, a credible community college. I dont mind investing the time, because I do in all honesty, want to get the most from my schooling. I am curious from step 1 to the end, appx. How much time will I have invested? Having already 6+ years invested into healthcare (including volunteer EMS), I know you get out of it, what you put in. So basically I welcome any and all advice from the experienced to my rather new adventure. I can't wait, I am totally stoked that now at 33, having been a single mom since 20, that I am now able to pursue my dream. I am just hoping by the time I am done with school I am not too old and worn out to get out there! haha. Thanks for listening and looking forward to the feedback.

Anna

• Like 1

If you really want to become an EMT, then go for it. It's a relatively quick process and an easy field to get into especially in California. There are several 1-6 month programs that can give you the most basic education to function as an EMT. However, I'd agree with your counselor to get more of your basic classes out of the way and then re-assess your options in the medical field. There are many other positions aside from EMT which also tend to pay better and allow a more regular schedule (plus you'll need them to become a Paramedic if that's also your thing).

I only say this as I prepare to go back to school next month to work on my nursing school pre-requisites.

Welcome to the forums though and good luck in your endeavors! Let me know if you need any help.

• Like 3

Thanks! and oh yes I do plan to get those preq's out of the way while, I can here at my community college. The other school is over an hour away so I'd like to do what I can close to home. My snorting was at the fact he thought EMT 1 was a waste of time. I was under the presumption it was mandatory for the EMT-Paramedic course, correct? My friends mother is a Paramedic Supervisor and she thought that it was a good foundation to start, then move over to the Butte College program. The only other close school would be American River College, which has an excellent program but isn't as sensible for travel. Either way I want the most out of schooling, so....I will do whatever it takes.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention, having worked with nurses for several years now, my desire for "nursing" is slim to none. Although I realize the basis of schooling is similiar. I feel no passion for that field. When I think back on my time volunteering with Emergency Services..my blood boils and Im excited. I know where Im meant to be and totally dedicated to make that happen wink.gif

Edited by AnnaBananna
  • Like 1

Of course a counselor will tell you to take all those other classes, they are employed by the college and most likely instructed to push classes on students. But it's not a bad thing. Take the classes.

That being said, having a pysch, math, English, world history, etc etc will not necessarily make you a better EMT, but in my honest opinion, they will. Psychology will teach you how to understand people and their feelings/actions better. That will help you better treat them. Math is a no brainer since math is a big part of medications, you would not want to make mistakes there. English is always good since we speak it. The smarter and more professional you talk, the better a patient will trust you.

The only person you have to listen to, is yourself. If you want to be an EMT, go be an EMT. No one can tell you what you should do with your life.

My advice is, do what you want. Learn as much as you can even if it "isn't in the field".

• Like 2

I agree and that is exactly my approach. You can't go wrong with being educated. Unfortunately math IS my weak point confused.gif so I know Im on a long road in that department, which I dont mind because knowledge is power. I am pretty well versed in patient care, since it has been my life now for 6 years or so. I interact very well with my patients. The problem with that is having worked with nurses who think Ima fool for forfeiting better pay to be in the action. "Why not an ER nurse..." Meh, I guess unless you have the passion to do so, you wouldnt understand. Thanks for the advice! rofl.gif

• Like 1

I agree and that is exactly my approach. You can't go wrong with being educated. Unfortunately math IS my weak point confused.gif so I know Im on a long road in that department, which I dont mind because knowledge is power. I am pretty well versed in patient care, since it has been my life now for 6 years or so. I interact very well with my patients. The problem with that is having worked with nurses who think Ima fool for forfeiting better pay to be in the action. "Why not an ER nurse..." Meh, I guess unless you have the passion to do so, you wouldnt understand. Thanks for the advice! rofl.gif

Well, you can also be an MICN which is just about the only way to get on a helicopter or plane in California as well as doing CCT. The paramedic scope here is rather limited compared to other states.

However, if you have an EMT program at your local college, just do that so you can get started. If you want a faster method look up NCTI in Roseville as they have accelerated EMT classes (though you still get a good education).

• Like 1

Well, you can also be an MICN which is just about the only way to get on a helicopter or plane in California as well as doing CCT. The paramedic scope here is rather limited compared to other states.

She would have to work a few years as an RN to get those positions. Of course, she might be able to find an ambulance service that just hires whoever regardless of experience which there are a few in CA known to do that.

However, if you have an EMT program at your local college, just do that so you can get started. If you want a faster method look up NCTI in Roseville as they have accelerated EMT classes (though you still get a good education).

For the cost of an EMT class at NCTI she could get a whole Paramedic degree at a California Community college with the very low tuition rates in that state.

• Like 1

I would say take A&P, pharmo, patho, English comp, communications and a research methods class before even venturing into EMT or Paramedic.

They will greatly increase your knowledge above what is taught in the EMT course.

You may even strike it lucky and be one of the first to take the new 2009 EMT curriculum.

• Like 1

First of all, good morning:)

Okay, so I am beginning my training to become an EMT. I do intend of course to go headstrong into this career path, in attaining Paramedic one day. Seeking counselors advice on how to go about acheiving my goal has been a nightmare. Even having one tell me to get my Physiology, Math, English and Bio. out of the the way and just apply for the Paramedic portion because EMT 1 was a waste of time...to only have me "snort" at him and ask him if he even knows what he is talking about. Okay so needless to say I am with a new counselor who is awesome. Right now my community college only offers EMT 1..so I will have to transfer to another community college or tech school. Because of this is has me scrambling to find out what preq's are required for the course. And, it also has me wondering. Tech school, or from what I understand, a credible community college. I dont mind investing the time, because I do in all honesty, want to get the most from my schooling. I am curious from step 1 to the end, appx. How much time will I have invested? Having already 6+ years invested into healthcare (including volunteer EMS), I know you get out of it, what you put in. So basically I welcome any and all advice from the experienced to my rather new adventure. I can't wait, I am totally stoked that now at 33, having been a single mom since 20, that I am now able to pursue my dream. I am just hoping by the time I am done with school I am not too old and worn out to get out there! haha. Thanks for listening and looking forward to the feedback.

Anna

Anna,

Every State handles these things differently. It is imperative for you to find out what the local paramedic courses require for entry. As far as the rest of it, you should be proud of yourself for never giving up the dream. I really started down the career path when I was 31, fortunately for me I had some things fall into place and tings have wroked out beyond my expectations. I am now 40 and last night I completed my final exam for paramedic school. I have my practical on Saturday and then my ride time. I should have my NREMT-P by April. It is not an easy thing to do for people who are established with lives and families, but it can be done. Keep the goal in the forefront and everythng else will take care of itself. Good Luck

• Like 1