EMS Documentary

emt217

In mid-January, I and some of my co-workers are beginning production of an EMS documentary. After much discussion, we have a general idea of where we want to go with it, but I would also like to open it to ideas here. There have been the "action" side of it with the Discovery Health Channels "Paramedics", the less than flattering side, such as "Trauma", and the darker and, (IMHO) slightly warped view in "Bringing Out The Dead". We want to come from a more personal side, showing the long hours, time away from family, the long term stress effects, how most of us need to work ridiculous hours just to make a living, etc.

I want to make absolutely sure that it doesn't portray our profession in a negative light. Therefore, I am asking for any and all constructive input. What would people like to see in such a documentary? What would you like to see portrayed in a different aspect? Any parallels to personal stories?

I know this may seem a little odd, but I just feel that we, as a whole, are either misunderstood, negatively portrayed, or commercialized for theatrical purpose. I want people to see us for what we really are. Human.

This has potential to be a great idea. But don't discourage such shows as you had mentioned. Of course, they are not perfect, but they each offer good aspects that portray the profession.

Bringing out the Dead was close to home for a lot of burnt out medics. Trauma, although really far fetched and over dramatized that it is.. it does have a few good points, mostly reflecting on personal live and how people spend their tie off. Paramedics, was pretty good, it showed a lot of "the real deal" type of thing. Shows like Rescue Me also did a good job of how FF's are, outside of actually firefighting. Another good movie, Broken Vessels, is more about getting really burnt out and doing some really insane things. It shows a lot of what can/does happen that is along the lines of "unwritten rules".

So, all that being said, good luck. Keep us updated. Don't dismiss anything/anyone because of a general opinion. Everyone can have something good to offer.

I think you are on the right track with the personal side approach, if it will show the true side of EMS and what EMS workers go through on a daily basis. But I agree Fire don't trash other shows that are less than accurate. Maybe you could also add some of the family side that is left out because the job takes us away from them alot. Good luck and Keep us updated on how things are going. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think you are on the right track with the personal side approach, if it will show the true side of EMS and what EMS workers go through on a daily basis. But I agree Fire don't trash other shows that are less than accurate. Maybe you could also add some of the family side that is left out because the job takes us away from them alot. Good luck and Keep us updated on how things are going. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry, I shouldve explained better. I didn't mean to sound like I was trashing the other shows. I was merely trying to point out the type of view they use. It's more entertainment based. Granted, there are nuggets of real life in there, but my goal is to view us from the more human side. Lack of family time, strained relationships, missing all those things our children do in school, sports, etc. The long hours without sleep, meals, or even a shower. Adding more shifts just to make ends meet. That's my approach to it. I guess you would view it as us not burning the candle at both ends, but rather dunking it in diesel and setting the whole candle on fire.

Again, apologies for the misrepresentation.

Sorry, I shouldve explained better. I didn't mean to sound like I was trashing the other shows. I was merely trying to point out the type of view they use. It's more entertainment based. Granted, there are nuggets of real life in there, but my goal is to view us from the more human side. Lack of family time, strained relationships, missing all those things our children do in school, sports, etc. The long hours without sleep, meals, or even a shower. Adding more shifts just to make ends meet. That's my approach to it. I guess you would view it as us not burning the candle at both ends, but rather dunking it in diesel and setting the whole candle on fire.

Again, apologies for the misrepresentation.

Well I am OLD and I do see things through OLD eyes!!! no apology needed dude or dudette!

Will this be a show featuring your area/service, or will it be more general than that? Will it be chronological (ie a day in the life of one person) or snippets of several people and their experiences? Will this be focusing on strictly an urban or rural area, 3rd service, private, hospital based, fire based, etc - or are you planning to take perspectives from several types of agencies? I guess if you are looking at the personal perspective, it really does not matter where they work, though.

I like the idea of showing the personal impact of our business. I think we've all heard statements like "I could never do your job!", so I think most folks realize it's a difficult profession, but few understand the personal toll it can take on you- health, family, emotional, financial, etc.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Will this be a show featuring your area/service, or will it be more general than that? Will it be chronological (ie a day in the life of one person) or snippets of several people and their experiences? Will this be focusing on strictly an urban or rural area, 3rd service, private, hospital based, fire based, etc - or are you planning to take perspectives from several types of agencies? I guess if you are looking at the personal perspective, it really does not matter where they work, though.

I like the idea of showing the personal impact of our business. I think we've all heard statements like "I could never do your job!", so I think most folks realize it's a difficult profession, but few understand the personal toll it can take on you- health, family, emotional, financial, etc.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Well, it'll be more urban based due to my locale. It will cover as many agencies as will allow me. You nailed it with the last couple lines though. It is meant to portray what happens

behind the scenes I suppose. Just the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and financial toll it takes. My ultimate goal is to provide the viewer with what our lives are like. It will span months of footage, personal stories, spouse comments, etc.

• Like 1

sounds like a good idea. I wrote alot my first year as a medic, but find it harder to find the time to continue to write as frequently. Being that your setting is urban maybe you could highlight alot of the frustration that goes with that setting. System abuse, misuse, burn out and its effects on coworkers.

When doing the personal approach it should not be too melodramatic to where it crosses the line into whining or give the feeling that pity is being sought. It may give the public the wrong impression that some in EMS are weak, unhappy, not satisfied with career choice or totally in the wrong profession. You could easily make the provider appear more needy than some of the patients or that they have so many personal problems one would have to wonder how they could even concentrate on the patient. The public watching may not be as sympathetic and might just think with so many health care job opportunities, why would one not choose something else rather than putting their family through the emotional turmoil and financial difficulty or the possibility of your baggage interfering with patient care. It could turn out like a soap opera which many in the general public already know how all too well.

Edited by VentMedic

There have been the "action" side of it with the Discovery Health Channels "Paramedics", the less than flattering side, such as "Trauma", and the darker and, (IMHO) slightly warped view in "Bringing Out The Dead".

Action? Funny... I think of Discovery's "Paramedics" as the more boring, darker, less than flattering show of the three.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.