NREMT will be discontinued in KY?

Johntom2000

Funny how you're willing to blame everyone but the candidate taking the test. If a candidate can't pass after multiple attempts, the problem doesn't lie with the exam or the instruction.

Further, it sounds as if you're bitter simply because you couldn't pass a test that was written at a level so that someone with even a minimal high school education could pass.

It has also previously been established, right here in these discussion forums, that the cost of living in your area pretty much negates what might otherwise be considered an impressive salary. So knock it off already.

-be safe

I don't think so I have a technology degree. Whatever you think. I am just expressing how I feel.

There was quite the discussion recently regarding the fact that IFSAC was trying to develop their own basic exam. KY was taking into consideration using that for their basic certification IF it was found to be desirable. However, that's not happened yet, and as of now, there are no plans to change the current certifications. Currently they are looking at following the national practice scope of practice with a few adjustments to each level (mainly the emt-advanced). The reason it hasn't been settled yet is because of changes within the state offices. Hopefully it will be soon, but I don't look for the NR to go anywhere anytime in the near future.

I am not sure what KY is going with regard to the NREMT, what I can tell you is that I have been involved in EMS for over 19 years & I have been certified in three different states & every state has their own certification process. To be perfectly honest with you, I am not a big fan of the NREMT. I feel that EMS needs to improve educational standards & that they need to move toward a real national licensure exam, similar to what the LPN/LVN's & RN's have.

The only reason it doesn't feel like a real national exam is due to the fragmentation of EMS with the 50+ different levels and each state trying to please everyone, mostly at the lower end, by handing out a patch for just one skill and calling that a "level" for that state.

Hopefully the new levels will bring some unity to EMS and eliminate some of the mess this piece mill patch to pacify has created.

Edited by VentMedic

• 1 month later...

As much as I feel the NREMT was established because someone wanted to create a job for him/herself, I do like the idea of national EMS standards. Maybe the NREMT isn't the agency to regulate them...that's for our elected officials to decide. I know I'll give my congressman an earful when it comes time.

Here in Virginia, there are five (5) levels of certification in EMS.

First Responder (changing to EMR soon, I think.)

EMT-Basic

EMT-Enhanced (Soon to be Advanced EMT, think NREMT-I/85)

EMT-Intermediate (NREMT-I/99)

Paramedic

At the Intermediate & Paramedic levels, first time testing candidates must successfully pass the NREMT exams before Virginia will grant the candidate a certification card. Afterwards, it is the candidates choice to maintain their NR certification or not, however, Virginia does not require it of them. What I don't really understand, is...why not do it at the EMT-Basic level as well? I don't know, but it's a double standard to me.

After recently going to a conference that had representatives from the board - there is no immediate plans to discontinue the NREMT in KY. So if you plan on coming here, better study up ! :book:

Dear Johntown 2000 or whoever you really are, please let me assist you by asking a few questions:

1. In ths economy, with your present educaton, what higher paying job can you realistically go get tomorrow ?

2. If you can not afford to make it on an EMT salary then you need to live within your means (how many car payments do you have, how much is your house payment,how many times do you eat out per week ?

3. Who lied to you about EMT pay rates ? Its nt like it dramatically dropped while you were in school.

4. Yes,you may have to work 100 hours per week to make $100k, but what other job can you do that in ? If you were an accountant or whatever 40-hour week job you want to pick, most work 5 days/week, leaving you only 2 days to work extra (but if you live within you means, you shouldnt have to work two jobs).

5. Yes the test is difficult, and it shoul be. In most systems you are pretty much granted full reign to do as you please as a Paramedic, so someone needs to make sure you are up to snuff, even at the EMT level.

6. If you are a bad test taker, there are books and classes that will help you.

I was first certified as a basic in a state that didn't recognize NREMT at that level. After being at that level for seven years I decided I wanted to move and try to finally get into a paramedic program. I ended up moving to Kentucky and I had to take the NR exam to become state certified. I'd been out of class for nearly eight years and passed that exam with flying colors on the first shot. The test is easy, too easy, period.

If a person can't pass that exam, it's more than likely their fault. I've known people that can't pass it and they spend more time bitching and complaining about the exam then studying for it. No wonder a person can't pass with that attitude.

As for the high fees, I paid nearly $500 total to test for paramedic. I had to drive six hours, pay for a hotel, pay my testing fees, and eat on that trip. It cost me dearly, and I passed that the first time around. Do you really think it should be free? It costs money to hold exams, to print paper, or now, to book space at a testing center. Nothing is free. Seventy-dollars seems a small price to pay for your "dream job in EMS."

Sounds like a lot of cop out to me. I have no sympathy. If you want something, you work hard for it, period.

As for a low pay. Mcdonalds make more what KY and WV EMT's make on the hour. That is sad. The low pay is already here.

Like others have commented - you fail to figure in how cheap the cost of living there is. When you can rent a four year old three bedroom house that's very respectable for $450 a month just outside your area ummm - can you really expect to make that much? Twenty four - twenty eight thousand a year goes a whole lot farther there. WV's pay is notoriously poor across the state regardless of location - so here's a suggestion - don't work there ! Go where the money is. Most of us that are making decent money now have paid our dues at the lower paying services and yes, the better paying services in that area are not going to hire a new basic. That's just the way it is. Also I don't know where you went through school (though I have a suspicion) and if so, CPR is included in class. Every state has a standard and you can either shut up and meet it or gripe and walk away. The choice is yours.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.