pt locked in ambulance

tskstorm

NHS bosses have apologized to a patient in Manchester who was locked in an ambulance for five hours after the driver went home and forgot about him.

They only staff ambulances with a driver? ...and how do you forget that you have a patient in the back? It's not a tour bus, they're like literally five feet away. Fail.

• Like 1

With all these rules in place that we are to lock the ambulance up at all times, it was only a matter of time before something accidental like this would happen. People lock their keys in their car all the time. An ambulance is no different. Just because there is a patient, doesn't change much of how people go about their daily routine.

Get out of ambulance, close door. Cab is now locked. Provider in the back hops out the side door maybe, closes door. Patient compartment is now locked too. Doors close on their own a lot of the time too. I doubt this was done on purpose, but I am sure it could have been prevented if you were to take the keys with you and paid more attention to the situation.

• Like 1

I don't think the locking was the issue here. The issue is that they simply forgot about him and went off shift with the patient still in their ambulance. But yeah... where the Hell was the attendant, and how did he forget he had a patient. This has got to be a first for me.

• Like 2

I don't think the locking was the issue here. The issue is that they simply forgot about him and went off shift with the patient still in their ambulance. But yeah... where the Hell was the attendant, and how did he forget he had a patient. This has got to be a first for me.

I suppose I should have actually read the whole article huh?

Then yea.. that's pretty terrible.

Negatives.... seriously? Have you 'tards even read the posts we made?

not sure why that quoted you Dust :iiam:

Edited by FireMedic65
  • Like 1

I believe it was a PTS vehicle, not an emergency ambulance like in the picture, therefore very possibly single manned.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=907

Either way, FAIL on the part of the driver. Should have done a post trip check (like the school bus drivers do here) for any old codgers who had slumped out of site.

• Like 1

ok so , 1) if it was an ambulance ( not to beat a horse to death) but where was the tech?

2) im guessing a pts vehicle is like a wheel chair van and/ or paratransit. how can you not see the person?

3) how do you pick someone up and then just forget they re in the back ? what distracted the driver to make him/her forget?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.